Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 09:07 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't go to theatres because I don't support Hollywood and the leftist trash that comes from there.
The lovely wife and me went to see Fatman (Mel Gibson Santa Clause CIA ops movie) over the holidays. There were more employees than moviegoers and the beer was cheap. We had a great time!

Viva toxic masculinity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:10 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't go to theatres because I don't support Hollywood and the leftist trash that comes from there.
Yep! ^^^^This for me as well. Hollywood has seen my last dime.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Right?

I'd never even heard of F9 and had to look it up. I wouldn't watch that crap for free, let alone pay good money to see it in the theatre.
From the trailer, the insane special effects look like a must see to me.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:19 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
From the trailer, the insane special effects look like a must see to me.
Style over substance is all they have left. Young people just want to see things exploding and flying at them.

If the left continues on its current path, they may be able to witness that in real life.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:23 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Humorous. Anti-lockdown folks want back in theaters, but also don’t want back in theaters because they would support Hollywood. It’s a conundrum.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:29 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I don't understand.

What is "LOL at the anti-theater crowd" supposed to mean?

Its' depressing that this is the kind of movie that gets people back in theaters.
That's what I was wondering - who are the "anti-theatre crowd"?

Clearly there are a lot of anti-Hollywood folks on here, but I don't think that is what the OP was going for. I think it is related to Covid-19, but I would think people on both sides of the spectrum are happy that we can safely go back to the theatre (even if there is nothing worth seeing there).

Old 06-26-2021, 09:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Humorous. Anti-lockdown folks want back in theaters, but also don’t want back in theaters because they would support Hollywood. It’s a conundrum.
No conundrum at all. Because choosing not to go to the movie theatre isn't a political issue for everyone.

I'm a "leftie," and I've been uninterested in most of what Hollywood produces for a couple of decades. Has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the fact that most of the stuff isn't worth watching, let alone paying money for.

Garbage is garbage; doesn't matter who creates it.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:33 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Before the pandemic $30 million opening day would have been disappointing

Old 06-26-2021, 10:11 PM

1,601 posts, read 866,837 times
I love movies. Have since I was a little kid. My first job that wasn't mowing yards and throwing newspapers was in a movie theater, and I woke every Saturday morning in high school absolutely stoked that I got to go work in a movie theater that day. Even got to be a 35mm projectionist for a couple years.

Unfortunately, they've back loaded the release schedule so much that there is nothing I'm interested in seeing being released until October. All the films on my radar pre-pandemic will be out by December, and after that...well I'm afraid that might be it for the movies. Anything produced now will be so incredibly woke that it won't be worth watching for people who haven't subscribed to the new religion.

It's not the fact that I disagree with most tenants of woke, but that it doesn't serve the art form. Every time I see a character or hear dialog that was shoehorned in to service a woke quota, it takes me right out of it and kills the entertainment value for me.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
There are only certain movies that I would see in a theater, James Bond movies, mission impossible movies and movies of the LOTR type. Basically action movies. Love stories and other types I just wait till they are on t.v.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies