Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 04:24 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
There are only certain movies that I would see in a theater, James Bond movies, mission impossible movies and movies of the LOTR type. Basically action movies. Love stories and other types I just wait till they are on t.v.
None of which can save the movie theater. Basic projectors can now provide the exact same quality, without the sticky floors, talking teens, overpriced food, and 30 minute commercials.

This day was always going to come.

Nolan’s Tenet was supposed to “save” the movie theater but it was a dud. This is why many movies are now being released directly to streaming services. Trolls World Tour made $100 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't go to theatres because I don't support Hollywood and the leftist trash that comes from there.
Well stated. There’s a reason they’re begging people to come back.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Before the pandemic $30 million opening day would have been disappointing
No kidding. It’s sad how low the expectations have gone for “avid movie theater folks.”

Something tells me they’re the ones who also subscribed to MoviePass before it went belly up.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:35 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Movie theaters were always packed where I live before the pandemic. Kid movies especially. Theaters have changed too from what older people remember or see in their small towns and cities. Today's theater is an experience as much as a movie. They are luxurious. The seats are big, spread out, recline and you reserve them. They have bars and serve alcohol.

Whether the new look and amenities can keep them going in a changing world remains to be seen, but like I said the fancy newfangled ones seem to be doing just fine around here. Movie theaters have always been about a brief escape from reality into a make believe world. You can't get that sitting at home on the couch.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Nolan’s Tenet was supposed to “save” the movie theater but it was a dud.
How was a movie released during a pandemic with half the theaters closed supposed to "save" theaters.

Where are you getting this head canon ?????

Quote:
This is why many movies are now being released directly to streaming services. Trolls World Tour made $100 million.
Its because the movie companies own the streaming services and get paid directly, not because of the stuff you keep claiming. Mind you, that totally destroys the illegal online streaming argument you previously made since they would be paying for it, LOL

Old 06-27-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Today's theater is an experience as much as a movie. They are luxurious. The seats are big, spread out, recline and you reserve them. They have bars and serve alcohol.
None of which matters when the product on the screen is crap.

But yes, the last gasp of a dying man is always interesting. Too little too late.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
None of which matters when the product on the screen is crap.

But yes, the last gasp of a dying man is always interesting. Too little too late.
But you just said you are watching the movies at home????

are you anti movie theaters or anti the movie industry ????

Old 06-27-2021, 05:28 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Movie theaters dont make the movies, again, do you not know these things ????
That is how they get paid.. The movie makes money. No one watches it , no box office sales, they will pay those actor pennies..

Old 06-27-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
That is how they get paid.. The movie makes money. No one watches it , no box office sales, they will pay those actor pennies..
Yes, but the person I responded to seems to be arguing that the theater is responsible for the creation of the movie.

He also claims to hate these movies, yet pays for them via streaming services.

Its a whole bunch of contradictions and not understanding the system.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:58 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Going to a theater to watch movies is passe. Most people have a large screen TV in their home and can watch ANY MOVIE they wish in the comfort of their living room. Sure they have to wait a couple of months for new releases but it isn't an issue for most.

Why would I go to a theater? It costs on average 13.50 for a ticket @ AMC theaters. If two of you go it is 27 bucks just to walk in the door. Another 27 bucks for a "Snack combo" (two drinks, one bucket of popcorn and two boxes of candy). So at minimum, you are going to spend 54 dollars to watch a movie.

If I watch at home on my 70" TV it is going to cost at most 5 bucks for the movie rental regardless of how many people are watching. If I wish to indulge in some snacks it might cost another 5 bucks at most.

At home, I can have an adult beverage if I desire. If I need to use the restroom the movie can be paused until I am finished. I am not disturbed by strangers talking during the movie. I don't have to get dressed up for an in-home movie. If I get tired of watching the movie I can pause it until another day. Finally; if the movie is really bad I can just stop watching.

I have not been to a theater in decades and have no intention of starting. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Am I "Anti-Theater"? No. I just don't use their services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies