Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 09:22 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Again, I can't understand how people can make a stand on things that are incorrect.

For instance, the flat earth crowd. They are passionate about what they think , correct ? It's their right to think that way , correct ? Well, I can't understand their thinking.

Same goes with religion.

It doesn't hurt me one bit that these individuals think this way, and it is their choice. It just helps me form my opinion of them....which in most cases , isn't good.
I did some googling on that topic

After making her second Olympic team and receiving the bronze medal, Berry then turned her back to the U.S. flag while the national anthem played and held up a shirt that read "activist athlete." When asked about her reason for protesting on Saturday, Berry said, "My purpose and my mission is bigger than sports. I'm here to represent those who died due to systemic racism. That's the important part. That's why I'm going. That's why I'm here today."

So there you have it. Her reason for turning away
https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/...5-1343954ec7ec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 09:23 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Why should I find out. LOL

I don't really care what she does on the podium.

You probably don't care who is President Either...~

How's life in Alaska Treating you???

Old 06-29-2021, 09:29 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post

After making her second Olympic team and receiving the bronze medal, Berry then turned her back to the U.S. flag while the national anthem played and held up a shirt that read "activist athlete." When asked about her reason for protesting on Saturday, Berry said, "My purpose and my mission is bigger than sports. I'm here to represent those who died due to systemic racism. That's the important part. That's why I'm going. That's why I'm here today."

And this is why I find activists to be incredibly annoying. They always think that their cause is the most important thing in the universe, and it must be constantly shoved in people's faces. She fails to understand that her purpose in the Olympics is not to represent the victims of systemic racism. Her purpose is to represent the United States of America within her particular sport. The fact that she cannot, or will not, see her true purpose in this situation is, to me, grounds for kicking her off the team.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:30 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post

Is that the same systemic racism that allowed her to compete against white competitors and beat them for a spot on the team?

If we were really a racist country would she even be given a chance to compete?

Who are these people who have died due to systemic racism that she is protesting for? Is she including the fools that attack cops and leave them no choice but to use deadly force?

Sorry lady America is the land of the Free and you have been chosen through your skill and hard work to represent your country in the Olympics. How many people would be proud to stand on that podium? I think it would be great if you won a medal but leave the politics at home.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is that the same systemic racism that allowed her to compete against white competitors and beat them for a spot on the team?

If we were really a racist country would she even be given a chance to compete?

Who are these people who have died due to systemic racism that she is protesting for? Is she including the fools that attack cops and leave them no choice but to use deadly force?

Sorry lady America is the land of the Free and you have been chosen through your skill and hard work to represent your country in the Olympics. How many people would be proud to stand on that podium? I think it would be great if you won a medal but leave the politics at home.
These are great questions and I expect she will have a lot more to say about it. Stay tuned.
She wants to be part of the national conversation on this topic and is inserting herself in the middle.
Clearly, you and many Americans still have questions.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:40 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This piece of garbage should be banned from the team. The sole purpose of being there should be to represent the country through a sport. If the main goal is to protest some perceived injustice, go protest at your nearest George Floyd Statue.

Maybe if she got hit in the head with one of those hammers it might wake her up.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:42 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
She has the freedom to do that if she so wishes.

Seems we have a lot of people who wish to strip people of their freedom and liberty, like a 'culture' of 'cancelling' such people, don't know what you'd call that phenomena.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:48 AM

4,845 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I haven't wathed the Olympics since forever, but I do recall anthem(s) being played on the medal stand. Do they not do that anymore? Only for the gold medal? One way or another, to say 'it felt like a setup' just goes to prove what an idiot this person is. What if she'd won? Still a problem? I don't get it.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:49 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
GB perfect example of excrement.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:53 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Why should I find out. LOL

I don't really care what she does on the podium.
this was you, yes?

Quote:
If she signed a contract saying she would not participate in any political protests during the Olympic trials and games and she violated her contract then she should lose her spot.

But that's not what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies