Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 05:50 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I was a speed demon too. Which is why they don't let me drive anymore. I play NASCAR racing games now.

Horses are beautiful animals. I loved JJ, my Quarter horse. I rode him just about every day after school.

I would love to quit smoking, I've tried so many times. I hate smoking.
Separation anxiety with animals and humans, on the animal side, is real.

I've seen it in both horses and dogs....when it's been too long since they've seen their favorite human .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 05:54 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
This feels like a safe space. Somewhere I can share a dark secret about myself that I would never share in real life.

I like filling in forms.

Feels good to get that off my chest.

LOL.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Here's a thread where we can relax a little and talk to our fellow humans, instead of bickering with our political rivals.

Quite a lot of us have been here for some time. But what do we really know about each other? Sure, we have our opinions and perceptions of individuals on here, but every one of them is wrong. This is an opportunity to correct the record of your C-D persona a little bit, if you'd like.

The idea is to tell everyone something about yourself that they wouldn't have guessed, based on the discussions you enter and positions you take in them. I think that most of us stick to discussing certain topics, and leave others alone, for lots of valid reasons, but it does leave a hole in other peoples' perceptions of the people we are.

I figure that most people here have me pegged as hard right, or maybe center-right, if they're conservative or more moderate themselves, because of the topics I'll discuss and the hardness of my stance in them.

But I don't think that anyone here knows that I'm kind of a bird guy. Owned parrot(s) my entire life and have always been amazed with the grace and intelligence of almost all birds. I volunteered for a while with an organization which electronically tracked the handful of California Condors remaining in the wild at the time. I pleaded with hunters in California - and took a lot of heat for it - to use lead free ammunition when hunting.

Most people aren't who they portray themselves as (or are perceived to be) online. Throw us a bone. Who are you, really?

ETA - Oh, I couldn't leave this out, once I remembered it just now. My first voter registration was with the Green party.
Not a chance.... one of the things I like about city-data is the anonymity.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Here's a thread where we can relax a little and talk to our fellow humans, instead of bickering with our political rivals.

Quite a lot of us have been here for some time. But what do we really know about each other? Sure, we have our opinions and perceptions of individuals on here, but every one of them is wrong. This is an opportunity to correct the record of your C-D persona a little bit, if you'd like.

The idea is to tell everyone something about yourself that they wouldn't have guessed, based on the discussions you enter and positions you take in them. I think that most of us stick to discussing certain topics, and leave others alone, for lots of valid reasons, but it does leave a hole in other peoples' perceptions of the people we are.

I figure that most people here have me pegged as hard right, or maybe center-right, if they're conservative or more moderate themselves, because of the topics I'll discuss and the hardness of my stance in them.

But I don't think that anyone here knows that I'm kind of a bird guy. Owned parrot(s) my entire life and have always been amazed with the grace and intelligence of almost all birds. I volunteered for a while with an organization which electronically tracked the handful of California Condors remaining in the wild at the time. I pleaded with hunters in California - and took a lot of heat for it - to use lead free ammunition when hunting.

Most people aren't who they portray themselves as (or are perceived to be) online. Throw us a bone. Who are you, really?

ETA - Oh, I couldn't leave this out, once I remembered it just now. My first voter registration was with the Green party.
I am a direct descendent of James I of England, and thus related to the current royal family in England, the executed Louis XVI, and "Bonnie Prince Charlie" who led the Jacobite Revolt. The family line can be traced back to include Charlemagne, Goth and Frank Barbarian Kings, and ultimately to Rome. Lineage was very important in royal families, and information on ancestory was maintained for obvious reasons. One of the other branches of the family can be traced to the mayflower (Warren) who died after arriving and had only daughters as heirs.

Unfortunately for us, our direct ancestor from Hanover (the brother of George I, Christian Augustus Hanover) was killed in the Spanish War of Sucession in battle and his daughter, unlike British monarchs, could not receive a title; she came to the colonies and all the wealth was soon dissipated over time. Fortunately for us, that side of the Hanovers was not the inbred line, which ended due to inability to reproduce due to inbreeding, thus the Spanish War of Sucession. Most people do not realize that the current royal family has origins from Hanover, Germany. They changed their last name to "Windsor" during WW1 to distance themselves from German origins.

For the liberals out there- most inherited wealth is gone after 2-3 generations. There are very few, if any, inherited dynasties of wealth. Ancestory is a curiosity which does not confer the deeds (or misdeeds) of your ancestors to you.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm deeply saddened by your loss too.

Thank you.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:01 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Me either, I see it as evil. I t watched a few minutes and get an uneasy feeling because it is witchcraft.
That is how I see Harry Potter. Demonic witchcraft.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:04 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I've gone swimming in an pool full of ice cold water, in winter, in cold rain.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:18 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Thank you.

You're welcome.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:22 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Separation anxiety with animals and humans, on the animal side, is real.

I've seen it in both horses and dogs....when it's been too long since they've seen their favorite human .

Oh yeah. They do have separation anxiety. And depression. It's a sad thing to see.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:26 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I'm a pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies