Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It shouldn't be. I don't think more than 20% of the people in this subforum venture out of it to the rest of CD. They come here to battle and that's it.
I don't know about that. I spend plenty of time in Great Debates and History, and plenty of other forums. I try not to bicker or battle too much. Next post will be on something surprising about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 07:59 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default My religious identity

Perhaps the most surprising thing about me is my religious identity. I am an observant Reform Jew, which sounds like an oxymoron. At the end of this post,
Spoiler
spoiler alert, I tell why this is surprising
(do read spoiler).

On January 5, 1973 I experienced my first major loss in life,my father's death after a battle with cancer. see When Should a Parent Tell Their Offspring That Other Parent is Fatally Ill? What was called the "Sunshine" hot line was my major outlet since my particular crop of high school associates were not of the maturity to be of any assistance. though my old classmates were even, in general, friendly. Many came to the Shiva, or condolence call, for my father on January 7, 1973, the day of his funeral. After my father's death, and that afternoon, per Jewish custom, the Rabbi was in our living room asking for input for the eulogy. He taught me more about Judaism than I learned in the last year of Hebrew School. I left the first class day after my May 2, 1970 Bar Mitzvah. Not that my parents discouraged me; one less car pickup and dropoff on days I didn't ride my bike.

Basically I was on the path to becoming an oxymoron, an "observant Reform Jew." I also amped up my reading on Jewish topics. The book While Six Million Died: A Chronicle of American Apathy by Arthur D. Morse was probably one of the best books I've read. And necessary to understand why FDR was no friend of the Jews.

During the ensuing summer, which I was on a teen tour, I made a decision that I largely needed new friends, from the "other Junior High School." My first call when I got home was to the friend that chided me on my lack of pride in Judaism. On a n unseasonable (for late August) 98° day after we both came back from different teen tours we gathered first at his house, in the swimming pool, and then cycled the four miles to my house. Given his relative maturity (though he was not the "15 going on 60" type) and high IQ I decided to lay things out, to later seek his help at "breaking in" to the other 4/5 of the grade as well as to my religion. Just before the gathering I took myself to the Jewish Museum while my mother attended a Shiva call. He more than obliged and we are still friends.

Now you wonder, why is any of this surprising? Because my parents actively encouraged a belief that organized religion was responsible for most warfare and suffering in the world and as a naive 13 year old I believed them. Most of my friends, though Jewish, had a barely passing interest.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
This just happened about 15 miles from my house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmlBgculzr0

Old 07-03-2021, 04:51 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
For the last 25 years our yard art is a life size Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
I live in my daughters garage. I pay half her mortgage.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 3 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,828 times
Hmm, there's a bunch - I hold back a lot during the odd job interview. But for here, I'll say I have an interest in languages. I was roughly fluent in German at one point, taught myself Spanish to a decent level, and self-learned a fair amount of Japanese and Korean. Smaller dabbles include Kikuyu, Swedish, and Farsi.

And don't forget English - lately I got back into old-fashioned book reading. That's a whole 'nother topic though.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This just happened about 15 miles from my house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmlBgculzr0

Yikes!

Old 07-03-2021, 08:58 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
I don’t have a single tattoo on my body or a single piercing.
Either do I. It's always been a point of contention with my daughter who recently can't seem to stop getting tattoos. All the piercings she's had over the years are now closed up, the multi colored hair of 15 yrs is gone, but there's no "I'm bored of this now" options with the tattoos.

All I have are a lot of scars from accidents and surgeries! LOL!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Yikes!
Yeah. We got close to a foot and a half of rain in 2-3 days. Hopefully the worst is over.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:25 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My screen name has nothing to do with Neil Young.

My name isn't actually Bob, and although I admit I'm not as svelte as I used to be, I'm not really fat either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies