Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:59 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Exact opposite is true. Our country was founded on freedom FROM religion.

Freedom from being forced to pray to a particular God, or attend a particular church or participate in particular rites. That's why the first settlers came here from Europe.
I agree on the principles, but the first settlers came to the US so they could build a society where people were very much forced to attend a particular church. Wasn't until the Enlightenment that the idea of kicking religion out of governance gained team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 01:02 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Not even close.

Mr.Retired had it right.
Not really. I mean - I'll happily accept a citation from the original US constitution that somehow supports or even specifies that the country was "founded on religion". Seems a fairly important thing to capture on paper, right?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:28 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
But the country was unmistakably founded with Freedom of Religion (i.e. free from Federal interference) as one of its most important laws.
Yes, I agree with the above. That's not the same as saying our country was founded on religion. Quite the contrary.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Money and lobbying - changes everything

Old 06-29-2021, 09:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I agree removing religion from US politics would push some conservatives to vote Democrat.
I agree. We'd see a complete partisan realignment and it's really hard to say who would end up where. I can't see how it would be anything but good for the country if this were to happen.

Religion IS the biggest thing right now that divides this country. All of our issues that have brought this country to the brink of collapse go back to religion and specifically the question of whether or not the US should be a Christian nation that enforces Biblical law or a secular one. The two biggest issues as the core of this question are abortion and gay marriage, though there are other issues as well. I think race is a relatively minor issue in comparison.

The biggest way in which race is a factor is that white evangelicals are at odds with almost every other faith group in our country when it comes to politics and their vision for the future of this country. In addition, white evangelicals believe they own the country and have a God-given right to force everyone else to submit to their authority. To deny them that right is persecution.

Moving past this though will never happen though, at least as long as the baby boomers are the dominant generation in US politics. I miss the naivety of the Obama years when it was assumed that the Christian Right was a has-been movement on it's way out.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
1. Anything race related.
2. Anything related to religion. (including abortion)

I feel like you would see a shift in POC voting conservative & life long conservatives voting Democrat. You have so many people that think it's a sin to vote for a Democrat so you no longer would have that thought. And how many POC vote Democrat simply because they feel Republicans are just more racist.
The race thing currently is a religion. Don’t believe me? Question the dialectical method as being inadequate to solving today’s problems and you’ll see dogma similar to the fiercest puritans.

It boils down to really just two messages:

Quote:
Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: "I seek God! I seek God!" -- As many of those who did not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. Has he got lost? asked one. Did he lose his way like a child? asked another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? emigrated? -- Thus they yelled and laughed.

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him -- you and I. All of us are his murderers… God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us -- for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto."

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, and it broke into pieces and went out. "I have come too early," he said then; "my time is not yet. This tremendous event is still on its way, still wandering; it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time; the light of the stars requires time; deeds, though done, still require time to be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than most distant stars -- and yet they have done it themselves.
http://www.historyguide.org/europe/madman.html

(The whole quote is better but I can’t do that here)

Quote:
If you wish to expel religion from our European civilization you can only do it through another system of doctrines, and from the outset this would take over all the psychological characteristics of religion, the same sanctity, rigidity and intolerance, the same prohibition of thought in self-defence.
~Freud~

Enter Wokestan

You’re asking the same question and it’s not going to be going away anytime soon. Nietzsche’s prediction is still playing out as we speak.

Probably the worst part about "Wokestan" compared to other religions is that there's not even a modicum of morality to it. It seeks only power and it will adjust absolutely anything around it to get it including its own prominent members like Kendi and DiAngelo. Get the Trojan Horse into the city by any means possible. There will be no revolution if people are not miserable enough to become revolutionaries.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-29-2021 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2021, 03:42 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
What does abortion have to do with religion? You don't have to be religious to oppose the killing of human children

Beat me to it.

I think the pro-abortion people like to conflate religion with opposition to abortion because then they don't have to engage in a reasoned debate.

They just claim people are trying to force their religious beliefs on others.

Usually they will include the birth control straw man since people that do oppose abortion on religious grounds often frown on birth control too.

Throw in a few euphemisms (women's health, choice, family planning services) and you just made the subject of fetal personhood go poof!

It's an extremely lazy way of thinking and debating.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
What would politics be like if all politicians were required by law to earn no more than a fixed $200,000 per year....no money for campaign lobbying, no charitable foundations used for money laundering, no kickbacks... I suppose the problem with that is only the rich could afford to run for office. Basically some way to keep them from pocketing campaign donations....
It's a good idea, but it would have to be a lifetime ban.

It's common for those that hold office to cash in after leaving office on all the direct bribes they weren't able to collect while in office.

Usually it's a lobbying position or a do-nothing board seat that pays millions upon millions.

The over the top compensation serves as a reminder to those currently in office that they too will be richly rewarded for screwing the public if they remain faithful to their shadowy task masters.

We would also have to address the issue of money paid to close associates and/or family members (artist Hunter Biden isn't unique) and charitable foundations that launder bribes (see the Clinton Foundation).

Basically, we would have to seal up all the cracks and pin-holes that the billionaire, corporate and special interest access seekers would use to continue buying influence once the more convenient channels are eliminated.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sounds like you want to remove human nature from the political process.
That might only a problem for some of the more 'primitive' Tribal types, who still think 'human nature' means 'people just like me'.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. We'd see a complete partisan realignment and it's really hard to say who would end up where. I can't see how it would be anything but good for the country if this were to happen.

Religion IS the biggest thing right now that divides this country. All of our issues that have brought this country to the brink of collapse go back to religion and specifically the question of whether or not the US should be a Christian nation that enforces Biblical law or a secular one. The two biggest issues as the core of this question are abortion and gay marriage, though there are other issues as well. I think race is a relatively minor issue in comparison.

The biggest way in which race is a factor is that white evangelicals are at odds with almost every other faith group in our country when it comes to politics and their vision for the future of this country. In addition, white evangelicals believe they own the country and have a God-given right to force everyone else to submit to their authority. To deny them that right is persecution.

Moving past this though will never happen though, at least as long as the baby boomers are the dominant generation in US politics. I miss the naivety of the Obama years when it was assumed that the Christian Right was a has-been movement on it's way out.

"white evangelicals believe they own the country and have a God-given right to force everyone else to submit to their authority. To deny them that right is persecution."

Project much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies