Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM

18,687 posts, read 7,571,404 times

Advertisements

Woman in Surfside FL condo told husband on phone she saw pool cave in as Florida condo collapsed

DAMN that is spooky. And horrifying. Might a sinkhole have been the biggest cause of the condo collapse?

I wonder if there were any security cameras around the pool, that might eventually be dug out of the rubble?

---------------------------

https://nypost.com/2021/06/28/woman-...-pool-cave-in/

Woman told husband on phone she saw pool cave in as Florida condo collapsed

by Yaron Steinbuch
June 28, 2021 | 9:42am | Updated

A part-time New Yorker missing in the deadly Florida condo building collapse called her husband as the tragedy unfolded — and said she saw a sinkhole where the pool used to be before the line went dead, according to a new report.

“It was 1:30 a.m., I’ll never, never forget that,” Mike Stratton, husband of Cassie Stratton, 40, told the Miami Herald.

The model, actress and Pilates instructor — who also has an apartment on the Upper East Side of New York City, according to a close friend — woke her husband in Washington, DC, and frantically told him that their building was shaking before making the startling comments about a sinkhole, according to the outlet.

The Washington Post reported that Stratton was on her fourth-floor balcony when she felt a tremor and saw the pool deck cave in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 02:42 PM

8,118 posts, read 3,438,027 times
It could have been a sinkhole.

That poor man. This is going to haunt him.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:51 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,398,018 times
Reminds me of Kevin Cosgrove’s chilling call from the WTC. He’s on the 105th floor and on the call he screams “oh god” just as the collapse starts, then the line goes dead.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:57 PM

8,118 posts, read 3,438,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Reminds me of Kevin Cosgrove’s chilling call from the WTC. He’s on the 105th floor and on the call he screams “oh god” just as the collapse starts, then the line goes dead.
Yeah, or those guys who were trying to escape the Gatlinburg TN fire. The one guy was live streaming it while they were trying to get out. The fire shifted and engulfed them and the feed was dead. It was pulled from the internet, but many people saw it before it was pulled.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:06 PM

78,132 posts, read 60,365,240 times
It's possible that building had it's own issues AND there was a sink-hole which may have been exacerbated or caused over the years of the roof leaks or just natural.

It's going to be about 6-12 months or more before a final review of what went wrong comes out.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:29 PM

35,626 posts, read 20,981,876 times
We have sinkholes. Not sure why so many keep moving here - we are on a sheet of sand paper. It’s terrifying to see it coming - poor families. Prayers for all.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 3,253,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The model, actress and Pilates instructor — who also has an apartment on the Upper East Side of New York City, according to a close friend — woke her husband in Washington, DC, and frantically told him that their building was shaking before making the startling comments about a sinkhole, according to the outlet.

The Washington Post reported that Stratton was on her fourth-floor balcony when she felt a tremor and saw the pool deck cave in.
I was under the impression that the pool in that complex was on the 4th floor, so whether it was literally a "sinkhole" (in the ground) that she saw or the pool simply collapsing through the roof parking structure beneath is a bit unclear (to me at least). The overall collapse itself could still have been caused by the former of course even if what she observed was the latter.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,398,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I was under the impression that the pool in that complex was on the 4th floor, so whether it was literally a "sinkhole" (in the ground) that she saw or the pool simply collapsing through the roof parking structure beneath is a bit unclear (to me at least). The overall collapse itself could still have been caused by the former of course even if what she observed was the latter.
Also I believe the structural report from 2018 that was reported on stated that the concrete under the pool was a problem.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:02 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,763,580 times
The thing becoming more and more likely at this very early stage from what those in the know are saying is the pool was leaking for quite some time and eroded the sand underneath and that made the foundation unstable enough until the building collapsed.

This may change 100 times until they find out for sure.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:13 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,763,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
No. The pool is at ground level. Right next to the pool the patio is sunk down several feet. It looks like the ground gave way from erosion and that took the legs out from under the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies