Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 07:28 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times

Advertisements

http://statusmind.com/images/2013/02...tures-1824.jpg

Old 06-28-2021, 07:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
And he was a terrible president.
No he wasn’t. He took the reigns from a couple of very crappy Republican Administrations. He had a lot to clean up. His successor was also highly overrated and spent the country into the poorhouse.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:31 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No he wasn’t. He took the reigns from a couple of very crappy Republican Administrations. He had a lot to clean up. His successor was also highly overrated and spent the country into the poorhouse.

He was awful. I voted for Carter and have not voted for a democrat since. I learned my lesson and I learned the democrat principles result in a country in decline.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:33 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What made him a good president? ... without mentioning any other president

Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
He was awful. I voted for Carter and have not voted for a democrat since. I learned my lesson and I learned the democrat principles result in a country in decline.
Your country was in decline LONG before 1976.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
The problem with both Biden and Trump is that they’re poor public speakers. There’s a lot of stumbling in their speech, and too many placeholder words such as ‘um’, ’like’ being used. Obama was better on that front.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
If that's true, then almost 100% of the Western world is "in decline." Every single advanced country on the planet -- other than the US,bot course -- is, what? A "****hole"?

Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The problem with both Biden and Trump is that they’re poor public speakers. There’s a lot of stumbling in their speech, and too many placeholder words such as ‘um’, ’like’ being used. Obama was better on that front.
Uh... OK.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What made him a good president? ... without mentioning any other president
Wouldn’t describe him necessarily as a “good” President. He wasn’t a bad President either.

Again, those of us who are of a certain age remember all too well that President Carter was handed a major ***t sandwich. We were a country that had just lost the Vietnam War, our manufacturing sector was drying up, we’d been through the worst political scandal in this country’s history with the resignation of not only a President, but a corrupt Vice President too. We’d just had the Church Commission that ventilated an endless amount of bad behavior in our foreign policy around the world. We’d just suffered through the Arab Oil Embargo against the United States in retaliation for our interference in the Arab-Israeli War, and gas prices quadrupled. For the first time, the United States had stagflation....a term that Americans had never even heard of before. This country was a damn disaster in 1976, and Carter inherited it.

This is not to say that he didn’t make some things worse. Carter was a Cold Warrior after all. Getting is involved in Afghanistan was stupid. Americans had never heard of Afghanistan and it made no difference to the United States whether or not the Soviets invaded the place. Getting in bed with the Mujihadeen was colossally stupid. We should’ve let the Russians get bogged down in Afghanistan for decades instead of expediting their exit by getting involved. Carter probably got the Iranian Crisis wrong, but his back was against the wall on that one. It was a big mistake to let the Shah into the country for medical treatment, but turning our back on him at that point after 25 years of helping him brutalize the Iranian people would’ve looked lame on our part. And once the Iranians took hostages, Carter couldn’t do anything, and no other President could’ve done anything either. Carter should’ve never authorized that stupid ass rescue.

Carter made other mistakes I’m sure, but on balance, he was no worse than his peers. The Camp David Accord is one of the greatest accomplishments by a president in recent history. Frankly, I don’t know what Conservatives are complaining about. Carter did them a HUGE favor by deregulating the transportation industry...a move that pretty much screwed many of the people working in that industry. He never raised taxes, nor did he lower taxes. The Carter Administration is the last time that we’ve actually had common sense tax rates in this country. He wanted to tax capital gains the same as normal income, but that never happened. He also gave the military the largest pay raise in modern history.

So all in all, his presidency was a mixed bag just like every other presidency. He was not the disaster that people try to paint him as. That’s bunk.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Carter? Even liberal publications trash his record. That just tells me how off you are.

The Bee weighs in...

Carter Says He’s Finally Hopeful That He Won’t Be Worst Presidential Failure In His Lifetime

In a rare interview with the media from his tiny dollhouse living room, former president Jimmy Carter expressed hope that he will no longer be considered the worst presidential failure in his lifetime.

"I've been seen as one of the worst modern presidents for a long time," said Carter, "but something tells me my luck is about to change. I'm not sure what it is, really, but the last few months or so have me thinking that I'll no longer be considered in last place-- and that's a great feeling."

Carter didn't name names or say why he feels this way, only that "it feels good to finally be in second-to-last place."

---------------------

I think the reason that liberals - or whomever defends liberals - use intelligence as a benchmark, is because it's subjective... it makes themselves feel smarter... and because the person whom they are defending doesn't have a general good record of success.
So what, he was intelligent. He could speak, understood technical, social, and political history.

The only person who could probably compete in the 2020 election was Pete Buttigieg (and even then I am not sure).

That doesn't mean they would make a good president, but in Carter's defense he was elected in a terrible time with many challenges that were beyond his control.

Bide, Trump, Obama, and Bush were all pretty unintelligible.

British politicians put them to shame. Even Boris Johnson who is considered more of an average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies