Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:55 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,884,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Flippers harass them ...

I don't see how. My elderly mother, now dead, loved getting letters from realtors and flippers, asking if she wanted to sell. Although she did not intend to sell, she boasted about those letters. She thought that they proved that her property was very valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 10:33 PM

12,972 posts, read 7,340,341 times
We get mailers.
We don't answer unknown callers.
108% over ask. May 2021.
The free, and capitalist market at work.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,781,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A combination of greedy investors, insurance companies, local government and even neighbors are ganging up on low income homeowners to try to coerce them to leave. I've observed this working with low income seniors living at home. It is disgusting. The insurance companies are starting to price out or just cancel insurance on older homes where the elderly and lower income are likely to live.

Flippers harass them, neighbors ignore them, bother them, or report homes that haven't been renovated as eye sores (while their own yards are full of trampolines, RVs, plastic crap). Someone reported a woman's beautiful wildflower garden as "weeds" that need to be mowed.

The local governments want to see old homes either razed or gutted, they are outlawing certain things that will force people to spend thousands of dollars to comply or be fined, or they will be forced to sell. This is often happening in democrat run areas. I'm not sure how you virtue signal this.

Provide citations to your claims, especially the one about insurance companies cancelling policies to force old people to sell.

Flippers and real estate agents trying to get people to sell always happens in hot real estate markets. Doesn't matter if the owners are old or not.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 PM

35,333 posts, read 20,699,860 times
The are also being priced out. In Fl there’s probably hundreds of over 55 mobile home parks. Many are extremely nice, but they have almost doubled the lot rents from $500 to $1100. And it’s happening all over the place. Mb are up hundreds and nobody can sell. Those on set incomes can’t handle that every month even if the home is paid for. They are going to end up with a huge homelessness problem. Money is more important than lives. They putting these folks under undue stress- where can they go.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Provide citations to your claims, especially the one about insurance companies cancelling policies to force old people to sell.

Flippers and real estate agents trying to get people to sell always happens in hot real estate markets. Doesn't matter if the owners are old or not.
In Fl they just stop writing or find certain criteria to stop insurance or jack the price where only the fat cats can afford it.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,781,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In Fl they just stop writing or find certain criteria to stop insurance or jack the price where only the fat cats can afford it.

They may be true in Florida, haven;t heard of it happening in CT.

If the house is owned free and clear, insurance isn't required, although that is probably an unwise choice.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:23 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,626,073 times
I keep my elderly mom's landline off the hook about half the day unfortunately due to constant telemarketers/robocalls. Mainly from real estate sales people, construction bidders, Medicare plan people, police fund donations, computer virus scams, amazon scams, delinquent utility Bill scams, senior living centers, mortgage companies, solar energy salespeople, and those saying they can save money on our energy Bill...about in that order.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:43 PM

3,233 posts, read 2,074,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

I have noticed in online community groups where I live that a growing and unexpected number of people (largely working and lower-middle class homeowners) are complaining of receiving homeowners insurance cancellation notices over roofs —or rather, threats to cancel if proof of new shingles aren't provided. Most of these folks have said their roof is ~15-years-old, though the number of folks reporting receiving the same letters despite having roofs <=10-years-old are also increasing, albeit more slowly. Quite a few have posted pictures asking what the heck is going on, and their roofs appear to range from clearly not in disrepair to outright pristine. I did ask an insurance franchisee client of mine about this last week. He advised that insurance companies have been sending reps out to take pictures of roofs and surrounding property and suggested that:
  • People should keep their lawns mowed, the exterior of their house washed —as well as free of unnecessary clutter and debris— because reps are often instructed not to bother with well-kept homes and that, adjusters and judges are far less predisposed to rule in favor of homeowners on roof claims where such eyesores are present when claims are contested.
  • Hire a company to come out to wash and, if possible, weather-coat (these usually come with 5-year guarantees) existing roofs to guard against excessive shingle deterioration or perception thereof. This can be done for $200-$400 in most cases for homes ranging in size between 1,100 - 2,100sqft, and is well worth the money considering the alternative is being forced to spend $5,500 - $10,000 for a shingle redo just to maintain HOI for folks on a tight budget.

The other side of the coin is of course that there are no shortage of roofing/contractor services that have been going around convincing homeowners to assist them in committing acts of insurance fraud in order to gin up business. I've even seen streets peppered with lawn signs that read something along the line of, "New roof for only $500-$1,000?! Ask Us How Today!" where virtually all of the homes suspiciously had brand-new roofs put on. This is criminal behavior —knowingly or not to the homeowner— that causes insurance rates to increase for everybody and causes insurance companies to overreact in the preemptive fashion described above.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I have noticed in online community groups where I live that a growing and unexpected number of people (largely working and lower-middle class homeowners) are complaining of receiving homeowners insurance cancellation notices over roofs —or rather, threats to cancel if proof of new shingles aren't provided. Most of these folks have said their roof is ~15-years-old, though the number of folks reporting receiving the same letters despite having roofs <=10-years-old are also increasing, albeit more slowly. Quite a few have posted pictures asking what the heck is going on, and their roofs appear to range from clearly not in disrepair to outright pristine. I did ask an insurance franchisee client of mine about this last week. He advised that insurance companies have been sending reps out to take pictures of roofs and surrounding property and suggested that:
  • People should keep their lawns mowed, the exterior of their house washed —as well as free of unnecessary clutter and debris— because reps are often instructed not to bother with well-kept homes and that, adjusters and judges are far less predisposed to rule in favor of homeowners on roof claims where such eyesores are present when claims are contested.
  • Hire a company to come out to wash and, if possible, weather-coat (these usually come with 5-year guarantees) existing roofs to guard against excessive shingle deterioration or perception thereof. This can be done for $200-$400 in most cases for homes ranging in size between 1,100 - 2,100sqft, and is well worth the money considering the alternative is being forced to spend $5,500 - $10,000 for a shingle redo just to maintain HOI for folks on a tight budget.

The other side of the coin is of course that there are no shortage of roofing/contractor services that have been going around convincing homeowners to assist them in committing acts of insurance fraud in order to gin up business. I've even seen streets peppered with lawn signs that read something along the line of, "New roof for only $500-$1,000?! Ask Us How Today!" where virtually all of the homes suspiciously had brand-new roofs put on. This is criminal behavior —knowingly or not to the homeowner— that causes insurance rates to increase for everybody and causes insurance companies to overreact in the preemptive fashion described above.
Yes my ins said I needed an electric upgrade because house was not upgraded since orig construction or they would cancel me. I did it, but I was flipping the dang house as I could. New roof etc etc. So this is what they do.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:18 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,050,110 times
This could be translated into " multitudes of companies now willing to make an offer on houses that didn't have a chance on selling a few years ago"

( Of course, it includes those that do, since everybody gets them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies