Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:57 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh I see ... your personal anecdote somehow trumps mine. Hmm. Ok.

I’m sorry, but I’ll have to pass on your anecdotes in favor of the direct words of Iran’s government officials, and the unadulterated images of its people expressing their hatred of the United States. I have plenty to work with without your defensive lamentations.

Never said it did but you're also looking at it in a very black and white way. But most Boomers like yourself do so I'm not too surprised.

I'm well aware of how corrupt and radical their government officials and leaders can be. But if you were to walk the streets of Iran, you'd find that many of the citizens have zero issues with the US and want peace. As a matter of fact, when Trump took out Soleimani, my cousins sent me a video of Iranians celebrating in the streets over it. They had signs in Farsi saying "God bless Trump" with his face on it. And for the record, I'm a Republican, and have advocated that Iran's government needs a big do-over.

Not every Iranian chants death to America. Remember, the media isn't going to tell you the good parts. Why would they? Good news from Iran doesn't fit their agenda.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I could ask the Iranians the same question, why are their students actually taught to hate Americans and chant "death to America (along with our Left BTW)?

I do agree that we should make more strides towards having better relations with Iran as long as they stop teaching their citizenry to hate Americans.

Because their corrupt goverment wants it that way. I have family in Iran that loves America and a lot of them actually loved Trump too. Many of them loved that he took Soleimani out. Take your ignorant rose colored glasses off and stop lumping us all into one category.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:03 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Never said it did but you're also looking at it in a very black and white way. But most Boomers like yourself do so I'm not too surprised.

I'm well aware of how corrupt and radical their government officials and leaders can be. But if you were to walk the streets of Iran, you'd find that many of the citizens have zero issues with the US and want peace. As a matter of fact, when Trump took out Soleimani, my cousins sent me a video of Iranians celebrating in the streets over it. They had signs in Farsi saying "God bless Trump" with his face on it. And for the record, I'm a Republican, and have advocated that Iran's government needs a big do-over.

Not every Iranian chants death to America. Remember, the media isn't going to tell you the good parts. Why would they? Good news from Iran doesn't fit their agenda.
Did you just call me a boomer? Rofl. That’s supposed to upset me? I’m 51. Solid Gen X’er.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:30 PM

39,845 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
In another thread right now someone said Carter should have ordered US marines "to do what was necessary" and take out the student protestors at the embassy in Tehran.

This translates to mow them down. Reagan was celebrated for the cruel slaughter of Iranians in a commercial airline.

Where does this black rage towards Iran come from?
You do realize that these were terrorist thugs that kidnapped American diplomats and held them hostage for a year and a half, right?

And that today, they are the world's largest sponsor of international terrorism?

Turn Iran into glass as far as I care.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Anger is over a hostage crisis - no Americans killed - that happened before most people today were alive. Really would be in US interest to have a strong Iran to balance out Saudi Arabia.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Did you just call me a boomer? Rofl. That’s supposed to upset me? I’m 51. Solid Gen X’er.

Boomer or Gen X'er you're still coming across this topic with a broad ignorant brush.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:52 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So you'd rather our biggest adversary, the USSR, and it's little buddy, Iran took over Iraq and expanded their influence in the region?

Life is a little more complex than you make it out to be.
We drove the Iranians to the Soviets by toppling a pro West anti Communist... I'm only explaining basic facts and history something anyone can do via research. We have a bad habit via a insane foreign policy of doing this. And it has both R and D fingerprints all over it....

Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You do realize that these were terrorist thugs that kidnapped American diplomats and held them hostage for a year and a half, right?

And that today, they are the world's largest sponsor of international terrorism?

Turn Iran into glass as far as I care.

I'm not justifying the retaliation, but Carter caused that. There was a reason why no other country wanted to have that radical Shah have surgery in their hospitals. But "Mr World Peace" said "Sure, come on down!" It wasn't the right thing to do but Iran felt like they weren't being heard. Carter was warned not to do it and he did it anyway.

Was it right? No. But it was wrong of us to allow the Shah hear knowing what he was doing to their people. They wanted his cancer to kill him so they could be rid of him. Also, I love how you forgot to mention that not a single American was seriously harmed or killed. One of the many reasons my Grandfather had my Dad and Uncles come here was due to the Shah's oppression, and Saddam invading for oil.

You want blame? Place it on Carter for having the nerve for defending and allowing Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to come here. Even Carter admits aside from him having zero expertise on the economy, that the final nail in his second term coffin was this stupid stunt. Why do you think Iran waited for Reagan to be sworn in before releasing the hostages? They didn't feel that Carter deserved the credit because he caused this mess.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:01 PM

4,651 posts, read 1,947,159 times
hmm I remember very clearly watching the hostage crisis on t.v. as a child. Despite this I have never marched thru the streets along with my fellow Americans burning Iranian flags and shouting Death to Iran. In fact in my entire 50 year life span I have never seen thousands of Americans marching in the Streets shouting death to Iran. Cant really say the same thing about Iranians can we now.

Have we screwed up in the past sure we have but i have never seen any large scale hate for Iran in the u.s. unlike the other way around. And really think about freedom. THE OP is I believe from their posts in the past is very pro Iran and I believe of Iranian descent but now living in the U.S. yet is free to constantly come on these boards and say negative things about his/her adopted country. Now if it was me in a similar situation living in Iran would I be able to say the same, doubtful at best.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 2,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
After all the bombs we unloaded on them they still "Hate America". Go figure.
No I was talking about the crazy liberal posters here, not the Iranians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.