Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 03:30 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
I'm not a Liberal but thanks for assuming. I'm a Republican, who also happens to be half Iranian, with family that still lives there. I never said what they did was right, but the harsh reality is Carter caused this mess. He was so obsessed with wanting to be a humanitarian that he ignored all the warnings not to let the Shah in the US for surgery. He knew he was stoning people and literally burning innocent Iranians tied to mattresses. He knew he was rolling back the advancements Iran made, especially because he didn't like how Iran was adapting Western policies.

It's a sad situation all the way around. I'm not defending Iran, but I grew up learning about both sides to the story. Both parties made huge mistakes. And America never really did much afterwards to try and find common ground. We just kept imposing sanctions and creating more tension.
Sorry, but the terrorists who tortured Americans for 444 days get the blame. Believe me, I am no fan of Carter’s, but I hold people responsible for their own actions. Stop trying to excuse the inhumane, inexcusable treatment of innocent Americans by Islamic terrorists. Because that’s what they were. I witnessed only ONE of the 52 families torn apart by those monsters’ actions, and those Iranians caused that heartache and nightmares for 51 others. They are to be blamed.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:32 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
This post clearly shows you have no idea about what the Shah was doing to Iranians. I didn't say it was right. What I'm saying is actions have consequences. We meddled in something we had no business meddling in. There's a reason why every country literally said, "sorry about your cancer, but you can't come here." Carter was warned too. And the ironic part is the Shah STILL ended up dying from cancer when this was all over. So Carter did all that for nothing.

I'll place blame on both Carter and Iran.
Nope. Your post shows how you are unwilling to blame the people who tortured Americans. You can try to blame America, and to some extent that’s true, but the Iranian students behaved like sub-human animals. They deserve blame.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:35 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sorry, but the terrorists who tortured Americans for 444 days get the blame. Believe me, I am no fan of Carter’s, but I hold people responsible for their own actions. Stop trying to excuse the inhumane, inexcusable treatment of innocent Americans by Islamic terrorists. Because that’s what they were. I witnessed only ONE of the 52 families torn apart by those monsters’ actions, and those Iranians caused that heartache and nightmares for 51 others. They are to be blamed.

Nope, both parties are at fault. Carter caused it. Carter caused nightmares and headaches with this too. His failed attempts on top of not being aggressive enough to get them home. That being said, the students could've handled this in a much better manner that didn't have the need to hold people hostage. For the millionth time, I don't condone people being held as hostages. It was disgusting and out of line. But I'm still going to see it from both sides.

So sorry, but the blame doesn't fall on one side. And while my heart goes out to the person you know who was involved, it doesn't give you the right to spread lies. Not one hostage was killed. Yes they were hurt and some even were even tortured, and my heart breaks for them. But none of the HOSTAGES were killed. Hence why Ben Affleck got so much crap for Argo and had to issue an apology.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Nope. Your post shows how you are unwilling to blame the people who tortured Americans. You can try to blame America, and to some extent that’s true, but the Iranian students behaved like sub-human animals. They deserve blame.

No, that's what you're choosing to see. I don't condone violence and I don't condone people being held hostage. I literally just replied to your other post stating that. What happened to our American citizens was disgusting. HOWEVER, I'm still going to look at it from both sides, because this all started with Carter saying "yes" to the Shah. It's pretty obvious if we said no that the hostage situation would've never happened.

So again, I blame Carter, and I place blame on the students for how they reacted.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:39 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
They were students, NOT terrorists.
They were terrorists. The Iranian 'students' thing was a huge joke and a cliche back in the day. The terrorists all called themselves students and I guess in Iran the two were interchangeable because when they actually came to the US and enrolled in our universities all they ever did was cheat, demonstrate and shout "Death to America". I learned to despise Iranians then. Prior to that I had no feelings pro or con but to know them was to 'love' them. Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. I was in an engineering program at UT Austin at the time and we were flooded with little pampered babies whose influential daddies sent them to America as "students" to escape the meatgrinder of the Hawizeh marshes in the Iran/Iraq war. Once here they showed themselves as universally lazy, ungrateful louts who spent most of their time marching and shouting about Savak and the Shah even though half of their daddies probably paid their way in America by carrying water for the regime. It did not go unnoticed by me that the only examples of academic cheating I ever saw were from Iranian terr ... err students. In grad school I finally ran into an Iranian guy that despite my newfound distate for the ilk, I actually liked. What's with this guy? Why is he honest, mild and hard working? Then I found out he was an Iranian Jew. HAHAHAHA! You guys just lose and lose and keep on losing and the snowball of disgusting cliches you self-perpetuate just rolls downhill into the present into an avalanche of pathetic venality, incompetence and backward savagery.

Sorry, not sorry. The "Iranian students" thing triggered me and brought me back to a time when y'all taught me to despise Iranians. ... Except for the few decent ones who are probably beaten down shy, closeted Jews.

Students my a$$ HAHAHAHA! I'm still laughing about that one. Never studied anything but loafing and how to grow an excess of body hair.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-29-2021 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-29-2021, 03:39 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Quote:

Where does this black rage towards Iran come from?
444 days. The Iraniens held our people until the day Reagan was elected. They released then because they knew Reagan would bomb them back to the stone age. As soon as these savages get a nuke its game over. They should have been bombed out of existence decades ago IMHO.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:40 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
In another thread right now someone said Carter should have ordered US marines "to do what was necessary" and take out the student protestors at the embassy in Tehran.

This translates to mow them down. Reagan was celebrated for the cruel slaughter of Iranians in a commercial airline.

Where does this black rage towards Iran come from?
Did you ask the person who posted those comments in another thread, that you quoted, for more context behind it???

Why come here and ask us to figure out what some stranger in another thread said??? Geez, talk about being desperate for attention; why are you so incapable of having a discussion with that person???

/threadfail

Old 06-29-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
They were terrorists. The Iranian 'students' thing was a huge joke and a cliche back in the day. The terrorists all called themselves students and I guess in Iran the two were interchangeable because when they actually came to the US and enrolled in our universities all they ever did was cheat, demonstrate and shout "Death to America". I learned to despise Iranians then. Prior to that I had no feelings pro or con but to know them was to 'love' them. Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. I was in an engineering program at UT Austin at the time and we were flooded with little pampered babies whose influential daddies sent them to America as "students" to escape the meatgrinder of the Hawizeh marshes in the Iran/Iraq war. Once here they showed themselves as universally lazy, ungrateful louts who spent most of their time marching and shouting about Savak and the Shah even though half of their daddies probably paid their way in America by carrying water for the regime. It did not go unnoticed by me that the only examples of academic cheating I ever saw were from Iranian terr ... err students. In grad school I finally ran into an Iranian guy that despite my newfound distate for the ilk, I actually liked. What's with this guy? Why is he honest, mild and hard working? Then I found out he was an Iranian Jew. HAHAHAHA! You guys just lose and lose and keep on losing and the snowball of disgusting cliches you self-perpetuate just rolls downhill into the present into an avalanche of pathetic venality, incompetence and backward savagery.

Sorry, not sorry. The "Iranian students" thing triggered me and brought me back to a time when y'all taught me to despise Iranians. ... Except for the few decent ones who are probably beaten down shy, closeted Jews.

Students my a$$ HAHAHAHA! I'm still laughing about that one. Never studied anything but loafing and how to grow an excess of body hair.

That's funny, my Iranian side doesn't condone the ones chanting "death to America," and that even goes for the ones that still live there. A lot of them love America too and even praised Trump for taking out Soleimani. My cousins showed me a video of them celebrating it with signs saying "thank you Trump" in Farsi. My family that lives here loves this country, including my Dad and Uncles who were sent here during the fall of the Shah and Saddam invading for oil.

Or as you delicately put it, "pampered babies whose influential daddies sent them to America as "students" to escape the meatgrinder of the Hawizeh marshes in the Iran/Iraq war." My Dad and Uncles all worked their asses off at their part time jobs while they worked their asses off in college to make something of themselves. But carry on about how we're all evil bearded people that either "come here on daddy's money," and if we aren't doing that, we're burning flags all day.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-29-2021 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-29-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
444 days. The Iraniens held our people until the day Reagan was elected. They released then because they knew Reagan would bomb them back to the stone age. As soon as these savages get a nuke its game over. They should have been bombed out of existence decades ago IMHO.

They were released under Reagan because Iran felt Carter didn't deserve the credit since he allowed the Shah here in the first place. Iran also felt that Reagan was strong and viewed Carter as weak.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:48 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A student can't be a terrorist?
Careful, or the OP will run away screaming and start a new thread, complaining about some unknown forum member who posted "black hatred" concerning college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies