Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, this.

Also, not helping, on November 11, 1942, Congress approves lowering the draft age to 18, which led to the 26th Amendment, lowering the voting age to 18.

And, the icing on the cake - 24 hour news channels and the ultimate divisive tool - Social Media.

The two things listed in the OP are just two of the results of the above. It has now essentially become a national policy to support the egoistic pursuit of short-term gratification of individuals without regard for the long term consequences either to those individuals or the community as a whole. This conflict is all about choosing who gets to be the selected individuals whose “rights” get supremacy, whereas in the past the answer had always been “Whatever is in the best interest of the collective good or maintaining or supporting the nation”.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
1. Bruce Jenner's transition to Caitlyn Jenner and her appearance on the cover of Vanity Fair Magazine in June 2015. Trans issues weren't talked about much before that.

2. The legalization of same-sex marriage in all 50 states in June 2015 and Obama celebrating by lighting up the White House rainbow.

This changed the dynamic of the relationship between the left and the right in this country. It was at that point, the right adopted a "win at all costs" approach to politics and also began to refuse to work with Democrats on anything, even things that would have been bipartisan in previous eras. Donald Trump was the man for the moment. The left on the other hand underestimated how deeply held the beliefs are on the issues of marriage and gender among evangelical Christians and how far they are willing to go to protect those values. Most of them still don't get it. I was once and evangelical Christian so I've been on the other side of this debate. There was a time when I saw a rainbow A&E logo and thought it was a sign God was soon about to bring judgment and destruction on America.

To be honest, at this point I'm getting pretty terrified of civil war. Something has to give.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:12 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,893,854 times
I remember Obama starting the rape culture nonsense.
Obama and the fiction of 'rape culture'12/24/14
https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...f-rape-culture

He's also the one who started the pay gap myth.
"Women (are) paid 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men."

Even politifarce said that was a lie.
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...7-cents-dolla/

Old 07-03-2021, 09:16 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Way, way before 2015! Clinton's impeachment. It turned into tit for tat partisan politics and then just got worse and worse as Newt Gingrich and Karl Rove explored and perfected grievance politics. As Reps saw success with divisiveness, the Dems picked up on it too. And here we are.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I remember Obama starting the rape culture nonsense.
Obama and the fiction of 'rape culture'12/24/14
https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...f-rape-culture

He's also the one who started the pay gap myth.
"Women (are) paid 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men."

Even politifarce said that was a lie.
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...7-cents-dolla/
The fact is women typically are paid less. Now some of it comes from going into lower paying jobs like education, but typically women are low balled and don't fight it while men do counter-offer or set their own low-ball. I don't blame Obama for that because it was known for years before that. Rape culture was known before that Obama quote too. Just look at people criticizing rap and rock videos with girls dancing or stripping to the music. The PMRC went after Motley Crue for that in the 1980's.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:57 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,155,884 times
OP:

The “culture war” goes back (at least) to the 1960s.

You could argue that it goes back to the Scopes Trial in the 1920s.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
The Iraq War debacle reawakened the far left elements of the Democrats. Even moderate Democrats struggled after 9/11 until the war went badly and the reasons for the invasion were exposed as lies. 2006 was the year Democrats finally gained a substantial upper hand, winning the house and senate. Democrats went from begging Wesley freaking Clark to run in 2004 to having an actual liberal, Obama, win a landslide national victory in 2008.

From 2006 to 2015 it seemed like incremental liberalism but nothing shocking. I feel that the Michael Brown police death case changed social media into an active agent of change. The next year gay marriage was mandated. Ever since then the left has been moving further left at a rapid pace. Obama won in 2012 without publicly supporting gay marriage (only for civil unions). Now an elected Democrat would have to support an underage child transitioning to another gender against their parents wishes. Or declare that the USA is inherently evil from founding until today. Those are profound changes in less than a decade. The GOP - while in my opinion stuck in the 1980s - really isn't moving right on the issues.

I believe the overall USA electoral is moving left... but not nearly at the pace the Democrats are. I think they either have to correct back to the middle or face a GOP resurgence. That Trump - with a campaign centered on White anxiety - still gained massively in non White votes is a very ominous sign.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Conservatives in this forum "dont remember" reading what was posted in this forum 2 days ago . How do you expect them to remember 6/7 years ago ?
Yeah, don't underestimate what old age can do to memory.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:25 PM

52,231 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Jeezus, the OPs obsession with gay trans issues coupled with a complete lack of seeing the bigger picture and you're left with a bizarrely inaccurate understanding of what is happening right now.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Jeezus, the OPs obsession with gay trans issues coupled with a complete lack of seeing the bigger picture and you're left with a bizarrely inaccurate understanding of what is happening right now.
Then what is happening right now? Racism directed at Whites? Far too many illegal immigrants coming in at the southern border? Inflation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies