Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 05:18 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,617,549 times

Advertisements

I will make this one much easier and use the market.

1) Eliminate the exclusive operation deals within a city.
2) No mergers
3) 2 or fewer internet providers is not competition. I know. I live in a place where the legacy phone carrier was bought by a national company and the cable company was just bought by one of those national carriers. They are both hideous and charge 90 bucks a month for the same ~60MB service.
4) Break up the nationals.
5) Allow towns to own the network but have service provided by multiple providers.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:22 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,311,156 times
The internet is a house of cards. Yes it can provide valuable information but it can also brainwash being it's so largely corporate controlled and it's hardly usable without heavy ad blocking.. try closing the 4 popup windows and autoplay videos on every site.

Plus it's so addictive ... it's down both harm and good, but I wouldn't call it a basic necessity. The average person would likely have a better life without it and a television, period. I agree with getting rid of the competition, but heck our city-run internet is really expensive for what you get, and they force bundle phone service which really raises the price.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:25 AM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Do you agree with knuckle head.

No water——I die

No Electricity——I freeze to death in the winter

No Internet—- I no longer have to read lunatic comments made by lefties....personally not a bad thing!

So is it worth spending a trillion dollars. IMHO...”No way”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ectricity.html

Democrats know they are set to get their clock cleaned next year.

They are desperate to get as much spending authorized this year as possible so that they can buy a maximum number of votes before the election.

The flavor of the day is high-speed internet.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:37 AM

24,027 posts, read 15,129,288 times
In most places in the USA, there are streams and/or rivers. And a well can be dug. Same with fuel. I can use all many of things including dried cow dung for heat and cooking.

Show me how to provide my own internet service. I can go straight to the satellite.

Getting it to people in the outback is another thing. Who pays in the long run? The USA sold bonds for the TVA. etc. There has been a tax on phones for as long as memory serves to provide service to rural areas.

Do they pay it back in their fees, like the rest of us? IDK. I'm getting damned tired of being the butt of jokes for living in a liberal city and having to pay for what I use and then being taxed to provide the same thing to people in rural areas.

And like has been said, If the internet is a utility, have rules like Texas does on electricity providers.

Last edited by crone; 06-30-2021 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 05:38 AM

19,852 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
Freedom of speech... which doesn't apply on the social media sites with their leftist agenda.

I've had the FB police toss me in jail for 3 days for a Trump post I made A YEAR AGO regarding the election... and there was nothing delusional about it.

FB is actually having people troll profiles flagging posts that don't meet their agenda.

I've also been thrown in FB jail for telling a liberal to lay off the kool-aid after he posted some GIF about me being a Trump supporter. FB said I "verbally assaulted" another user.

(But what he posted attacking me was OK)

The bold is becoming more and more common on many social media forums. Liberals now RULE almost all the media now. (And if anyone doubts it, why have I read surveys that say that something like 86% of conservatives think that there is a liberal bias in media, but only a very small percentage of liberals say that there is a conservative bias? )

Anyway, allthough I've personally accepted the fact that liberals are in charge of almost all media, that doesn't mean that I like it.

Maybe it is time for someone to start a new discussion forum website with center-conservative moderators. Liberals would still be free to post, but it would not be so obviously one-sided with censorship.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-30-2021 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 05:39 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,604,568 times
we don't NEED internet we can live in third world happiness

Old 06-30-2021, 05:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:

No water——I die

No Internet—- I no longer have to read lunatic comments made by lefties....personally not a bad thing!

It is now a necessity.
The local supermarket, gas station, hospital… would barely function without it.

Do you like to be able to access whatever money you have in the bank? Get paid on a regular basis?

Do you actually know how things work right now in the 21st century?

Old 06-30-2021, 05:49 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:

No water——I die

The Chinese can do it for half the price.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,359,592 times
Quote:
The Amish to that comment, hold me root beer, electricity is so overrated.....................to the Amish!

Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
we don't NEED internet we can live in third world happiness
No one delivers third world level service like your beloved govt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies