Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 10:46 AM

6,660 posts, read 6,696,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
House Votes to Purge ALL Confederate Statues From the Capitol

So the Party that was responsible for Slavery is now trying to erase it's own history.
Good move either way. I hate the woke left but I also hate the traitors who tried to secede so they could have slaves and an ass backwards economy. We shouldn't have any statues of people who fought America. Robert E. Lee was a redneck loser, I'm glad we took over his house to create Arlington Cemetery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 10:49 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Good move either way. I hate the woke left but I also hate the traitors who tried to secede so they could have slaves and an ass backwards economy. We shouldn't have any statues of people who fought America. Robert E. Lee was a redneck loser, I'm glad we took over his house to create Arlington Cemetery.
I can agree with this. I don't like the ultra-woke, they are doing more harm than anything else. On that same note, I don't want Confederate statues up. Confederate generals, considering what the Confederate cause was about, don't deserve to be honored.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:49 AM

8,927 posts, read 2,958,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
George Washington didn't revolt against Britain in the name of preserving the institution of slavery. The Confederates did. This is explicitly about the Confederate cause. And that alone. Everyone knows George Washington owned slaves. He didn't make slavery a core tenet of starting a new country. The Confederates, however, did.
bull crap. GW actually even moved the presidential estate out of PA when slavery laws started to become restrictive.

He had HUNDREDS of slaves! He obviously believed in it! He took their teeth when he needed new ones.

Why aren't you crusading against GW? Is it just because there's less public support for it?

Your logic isn't making sense if you defend GW but denigrate Robert E. Lee.

GW is "honored" literally everywhere in our country. He had WAY more slaves than Lee.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
What's your take on George Washington then?

He was from the same state and owned way more slaves. He even took their teeth when he himself needed new ones.

Redneck loser?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can agree with this. I don't like the ultra-woke, they are doing more harm than anything else. On that same note, I don't want Confederate statues up. Confederate generals, considering what the Confederate cause was about, don't deserve to be honored.
Didn't the US constitution say slaves were 3/5ths of a person?

GW fought for the USA.

Why aren't you raging against the USA in general? Why are you just focusing on a group that came later that wanted to simply preserve the original USA that GW helped to create?

Hmm?

Old 06-30-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What country puts tributes to traitors in their capitol building? The very definition of woke.
Segregationist Southern state legislatures were very influential in getting this done. In 1908, then-President William H. Taft said there were no laws against allowing a statue of Robert E. Lee in the Capitol. Thus, the Confederate statues were allowed.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Didn't the US constitution say slaves were 3/5ths of a person?

GW fought for the USA.

Why aren't you raging against the USA in general? Why are you just focusing on a group that came later that wanted to simply preserve the original USA that GW helped to create?

Hmm?
Again, go read the Articles of Secession, Alexander H. Stephens' Cornerstone Speech, and the Confederate Constitution. You will get a very good idea of what the CSA was explicitly about. The USA had slavery. The CSA got established because it wanted to make sure slavery stayed for good.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,819,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm okay with that. If the Constitution bans insurrectionists from running for Federal office, we shouldn't be celebrating them through statuary in the Capitol building. They can be stored in some lonely warehouse somewhere.
Until the current madness passes?

Remember the furor when the Taliban was blowing up religious statues from a time before Islam? How is this any different?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:05 AM

6,660 posts, read 6,696,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What's your take on George Washington then?

He was from the same state and owned way more slaves. He even took their teeth when he himself needed new ones.

Redneck loser?
While I don't agree with his slave ownership. all those slaves were Martha's. He didn't go out on a slave shopping spree. He also freed them upon Martha's death in his will.

I also don't remember George Washington leading an army to fight against this country.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,819,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
well.. its not about your feelings or the Dukes of Hazard.

Imagine Germans saying the Nazi Flag still flies because they have German Pride?

Its a silly argument. The south lost and the losers shouldn’t get to decide how statues or flags are displayed.
But 12% of the current population should be allowed to decide for the other 88% of the population which statues and flags are permitted?

Another "silly argument."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies