Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 2,960,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No they weren't. The United States of America is the country that Washington helped to create. They were fighting against that country.

Period.
Not at all true. Slavery was a part of GW's America. It became something that was not going to be workable anymore in the North, and there was a war to settle it.

The Republicans wished to change that fundamental tenet of the country away from the founder's version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 01:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No they weren't. The United States of America is the country that Washington helped to create. They were fighting against that country.

Period.
Thank you. The pro-Confederate apologetics gets old fast. Confederate generals should not have been honored, period.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. The Confederates were fighting explicitly for slavery. George Washington wasn't fighting explicitly for that. Again, the two cannot be compared, so stop trying.
It wasn't just for slavery.

But you can keep tying yourself in knots defending one of the biggest slave owners in the history of our country just because it would be REALLY weird to attack the guy on the dollar bill and the quarter.

The guy literally presided over the constitutional convention where slaves were codified to be 3/5ths of a person.

Oh well, maybe next year it will be fashionable to clean house with the colonials too!

Old 06-30-2021, 01:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Should confederate monuments be removed from public display at that Capitol? Yes, I believe they should. With regards to the concern about “erasing history” I would support moving them into a Confederacy museum. Would you find that compromise acceptable?

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Not at all true. Slavery was a part of GW's America. It became something that was not going to be workable anymore in the North, and there was a war to settle it.

The Republicans wished to change that fundamental tenet of the country away from the founder's version.
Both Great Britain and the United States were nations that had legal slavery when Washington beat them at Yorktown. The Brits played games with the matter, freeing slaves that agreed to fight on their side. The Brits sure as hell didn't care about them. Just trying to screw with the Americans any which way they could. Would the slaves they freed really have remained free? Good odds that they wouldn't.

More than half the founding fathers wanted to be rid of slavery right from the start. They didn't have the popular support to make it happen. It took awhile but we did get it done eventually. Meanwhile, every other nation on earth continued on having slaves. The Muslim world still has them. Sub-Saharan Africa still has them. China still has them. India still has them.

Rather than arguing endlessly about something we got rid of 155 years ago, why aren't we focused on abolishing slavery in all the place it still exists???

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
It wasn't just for slavery.

But you can keep tying yourself in knots defending one of the biggest slave owners in the history of our country just because it would be REALLY weird to attack the guy on the dollar bill and the quarter.

The guy literally presided over the constitutional convention where slaves were codified to be 3/5ths of a person.

Oh well, maybe next year it will be fashionable to clean house with the colonials too!
Slavery was the biggest part of what the Confederate cause was about. It had nothing to do with the Patriots' cause.

Just admit that you want those Confederate statues to stay up and get it over with. Just cut through the formalities.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:

So any time a law changes, we cease to be the USA? That's your position?

Stop twisting yourself in knots trying to apologize for the Confederacy. Slavery was never a "fundamental tenet" of our system of government, it was never essential to what the USA is. In fact, it was antithetical, but somehow still allowed to happen.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:04 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE views YOU that way.

Are you the owner of a time portal that can take you back hundreds of years?

Do you also hate the black people who sold other black people into slavery?

Do you also hate the black people who enslaved whites and blacks?

Just checking.
of course I hate the Africans who sold slaves. Why wouldn’t I? You asked why some people don’t like GW or other presidents and when I give my reasons you start talking about time portals?

The reality is I have no idea who those people are since there are no statues of African slave owners. But effe those people.

I hate anyone who enslaved people. Especially people who looked like me simply based on the color of their skin

I live in America so American History receives the bulk of my criticism because this is where I live and the history that was taught had slave owners as hero’s.

Always love when people ask me to be upset at a whole continent I have never been too. Sure, screw them too but since I live in America, that is my primary concern when it comes to acknowledging past atrocities.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 06-30-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-30-2021, 02:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Thanks for asking a very, very easy question. The answer is that there is a huge, huge difference for the better between Robert E. Lee and George Washington. Washington was always a true patriot. But you tell me why as a liberal, I'm suppose to care that Washington owned slaves and more than just a few. The world in the past was far from perfect, but going against the union to keep slavery legal went way too far.
GW can get gone too

Thanks for defeating the Brits you slave teeth having, apple tree cutting, cant tell a lying ass liar.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
GW can get gone too

Thanks for defeating the Brits you slave teeth having, apple tree cutting, cant tell a lying ass liar.
And hence the woke, book burning problem.

So are we going to rename our national capital? Are we going to take him off the currency?

He literally is the most important person in the founding of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies