Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 01:20 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
here's a link to ALL the statues in question (that is, the 2 contributed by every state).

https://www.aoc.gov/explore-capitol-...l&location=All
My understanding is this year’s bill was about removing only the trashy Confederate statues.

Virginia state leaders requested the removal of Robert E. Lee’s statue after the passage of last year’s bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 01:23 PM

13,234 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Most of these statutes were installed in the 20th century not like they hold any historic value.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:29 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
My understanding is this year’s bill was about removing only the trashy Confederate statues.

Virginia state leaders requested the removal of Robert E. Lee’s statue after the passage of last year’s bill.
Well, again, the law was that each state could send 2 statues. And it was solely up to the states who was sent. It's in the original link posted. The states can swap, change, etc whenever they want it seems.

I don't know when VA sent REL, but we know GA sent Stevens' in 1927.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:29 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
lmao.. exactly.

They don’t even see their hypocrisy. That post highlights why some people are afraid of CRT. If we teach that GW didn’t have wooden teeth and instead yanked them from slaves it paints him in a much harsher light.
Washington didn't "yank" any teeth from slaves. A record of a transaction in Washington's Mount Vernon account books shows that he purchased nine real teeth from 'Negroes' for 122 shillings, although it's not known if those teeth were actually used in his dentures. He did use teeth from cows, horses, and his own previously pulled teeth in his dentures, having the newly pulled teeth mailed to his dentist. The facts aren't quite so harsh, are they?

Old 07-01-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well, again, the law was that each state could send 2 statues. And it was solely up to the states who was sent. It's in the original link posted. The states can swap, change, etc whenever they want it seems.

I don't know when VA sent REL, but we know GA sent Stevens' in 1927.
Well again, this year’s bill is about removing the trash.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'd urge folks to read the article, and understand the law. I know, probably asking too much.

The statues are there because a long-ago law allowed each state to send 2 statues of citizens to represent them. As noted in the article, it thus should fall on the individual states to say "Hey, let's swap that Robert E Lee for someone else" - as Virginia has done.

Regardless, even as a Southern state person, I agree that commemorations of Confederate generals or officials is wrong. Commemoration of those who would violate civil rights after 1865 is wrong.

But what about Supreme Court Justice Roger Taney?
here's the original link. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/u...tues-vote.html
Quote:
The chamber voted 285 to 120 to approve the legislation, which aims to banish the likenesses of Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, Jefferson Davis and roughly a dozen other figures associated with the Confederacy or white supremacist causes. Sixty-seven Republicans, including the party’s top leader, joined with every Democrat who voted to support the changes, but a majority of the party stood against it.
Quote:
“It would mean a whole lot more to this body, as well as the American people, if the states who originally put those statues in here were the ones who now ask that they would be removed,” said Representative Barry Loudermilk, Republican of Georgia.
it's not just Confederate veterans and officials.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
well ....

since I doubt the Black were reading the Confederate Veteran, I doubt they were actually pondering this advice.

The advice as given - "if you interact nicely and politely with us, we'll be nice to you" does not have a hint of KKK threat. I have no idea whether the CV sprung from the KKK or vice versa. Would there be common followers? Sure.

So, does the CV have numerous pieces glorifying the KKK, or warning Blacks about "acting right"?
Since I’m starting to doubt you ever read a primary source before this thread:

Excerpts from the book "The Ku Klux Klan or Invisible Empire" by Mrs. S.E.F. Rose and endorsed by the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughers of the Confederacy.

Quote:
INTRODUCTION

The Ku Klux had no written history. Their Constitution declared, "That the origin, mysteries, and ritual, of this order shall never be written, but shall be communicated orally." This secrecy was made necessary by existing conditions, and in no sense reflected upon the bravery of its members, for they were the "bravest of the brave." Even at this late day, it is difficult to secure information in regards to the this mysterious Brotherhood, and many books of reference contain false statements about the Klan. To give a detailed history of the Ku Klux Klan, would require many volumes, for Klans were formed in all the Southern States, and their membership reached large numbers, estimated at a half a million, but in this book may be found true and authentic history answering the following questions:
Excerpts from the book "The Ku Klux Klan or Invisible Empire" by Mrs. S.E.F. Rose and endorsed by the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughers of the Confederacy.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
here's the original link. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/u...tues-vote.html

it's not just Confederate veterans and officials.
As per the piece, “…Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, Jefferson Davis and roughly a dozen other figures associated with the Confederacy or white supremacist causes”.

All associated with the Confederacy & white supremacist causes.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,346 times
It’s good to see they’re wasting their time with unimportant stuff again

Old 07-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Since I’m starting to doubt you ever read a primary source before this thread:

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence, but I will readily admit to not being any type of expert on the KKK or "Confederate Veteran", nor have I ever had membership in any such organization. I don't think it sounds like the ConfederateNeoconfederateReader.com is either. Seems to be an aggregator. By it's titles and summations, it appears to be biased though.

But, having read this The United Daughters of the Confederacy defends the Ku Klux Klan in 1936

what I found out was the Ku Klux Klan was technically out of existence by 1879. And the 20th century terror tactics we know of were not the reason for its existence during Reconstruction. The 1936 article was a (possibly/likely romanticized) historical account of how and why it came to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies