Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 08:27 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
so what..

this thread is about confederate statues.

trying to make it about everything else is simply deflecting from the topic.
Agree it's deflection & cowardly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Douglas in "The Inhumanity of Slavery"
To talk of kindness entering into a relation in which one party is robbed of wife, of children, of his hard earnings, of home, of friends, of society, of knowledge, and of all that makes this life desirable, is most absurd, wicked, and preposterous [ridiculous].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 08:56 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
In reality. One of the last places the Confederate Flag should be in is the US Capitol. WHY....

The Confederate flag originated during the Civil War as a battle flag for the pro-slavery Confederacy, but historians say its significance as a political symbol emerged in the 20th century as a sign of resistance to racial integration.
During the entire Civil War from 1861 to 1865, the Confederate flag never entered the US Capitol building.

While versions of the Confederate flag have appeared in legitimate exhibits in the country's legislative headquarters, the closest any rebel carrying a Confederate flag ever came to the Capitol was about 6 miles, during the Battle of Fort Stevens on July 11 and 12, 1864.

The Confederate flag made it deeper into Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, than it did during the Civil War.”

Sadly, Southerners should not want the Flag to represent anything other then Dixie... a Region of the US....not what a perversion of it in symbology did especially starting by the Dixicrats and those who opposed the 1960's Civil Rights legislation. It was all a Huge key reason the South moved away from the Democratic Party.... tried with the Dixicrat Party and settled into the Republican Party we have a stronghold today.

When we see Northerners using a Confederate Flag? Do we think they are being loyal to merely Dixie? Seems more a perverted meaning attached to it sadly. Some see that as more American actually. I can think of a better way to say - I'm a hard working Redneck and some other things added to that.... then take what was a symbol of Dixieland and yes with Slavery... but the baggage is in the perverted aspect some embellish in that flag symbolized of today.
The fact that someone would take a Confederate flag to the US Capitol is basically disrespect. Knowing what the Confederate cause was/is about, it makes no sense to fly a Confederate flag in the U.S. Capitol.

The Confederate cause was/is about making sure the institution of slavery would remain intact. This was not lost on those who flew the Confederate flag during the Civil Rights movement. Those who were against integration would show that by flying the Confederate flag. Considering what it was during the Civil War, considering what it would be used for in the following years, using the Confederate as a way to represent "southern heritage" isn't wise at this point.

Something else should be mentioned. A majority of African-Americans are Southerners. The U.S. Census can confirm this. I notice hardly any African-Americans are flying the Confederate flag or claiming it as part of their heritage. I don't think that is a coincidence. I've brought this up and there are many who either ignore that fact, point to one of the very few Blacks who would fly the Confederate flag, or claim Black people are "brainwashed".

As for the switch from Democratic to Republican, this is what I see. The 1960s were the beginning of the end. However, the first sign things were starting to change was the 1948 DNC. The pro-civil rights Democrats were mostly northerners. The segregationist Democrats were mainly southerners. The segregationists walked out and formed the Dixiecrats. J. Strom Thurmond ran for President as a Dixiecrat in 1948. He lost the election to Harry S. Truman. However, Thurmond managed to win these states (and only those states): Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina.

By 1964, Thurmond switched to the Republican Party and endorsed Barry Goldwater in the 1964 Presidential Election. His reason was that he felt that the Democratic Party no longer people who thought like he did.

I've heard about some rural areas in Pennsylvania, upstate New York, and Indiana where some people fly the Confederate flag. Last I checked, the Confederates tried to lay siege to Pennsylvania. The bloodiest battle of the Civil War took place in Gettysburg, PA. In PA, IN, and the rural parts of Upstate NY, said can't go to the claim of "southern heritage".

If a symbol is suppose to represent being southern, it has to be a uniting symbol for all southerners, regardless of race. The Confederate flag is not that symbol. It represents a very horrible cause, and it's meaning, today, is very bombastic. It's as divisive as divisive can be.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:08 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never thought about Americans paying for museums. However, when it comes to those Confederate monuments, I think about this. The tax dollars going to pay for that could have gone to other places. Money that could have gone to fix the roads, improve transportation. This being Mississippi, there are plenty of places that money could have gone to, like the infrastructure. I think about places that will say NO to any tax increase to fund a very good public transportation system, but haven't raised a stink about the tax dollars going to protect Confederate statues.
Agree with the points you've raised however it's hardly surprising considering the Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda masquerading as history, & swallowed hook, line, & sinker by generation after generation of American people.

Quote:
What do we mean by the Lost Cause? Long the prevailing ideology of not only the UDC but of the United Confederate Veterans, the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and much of the postwar elite white culture, it follows several basic precepts:
  • the Confederacy didn’t start the war;
  • slavery had nothing to do with it;
  • enslaved people were generally well-treated and faithful to their masters;
  • the United States only won because of its industry and manpower and a willingness to sacrifice the lives of its soldiers; and
  • Confederate soldiers were uniquely heroic and Confederate women uniquely honorable.
So what does this have to do with white supremacy? All of these things add up to a nostalgic elevation of a society the foundation of which was the violent enslavement of other human beings.
United Daughters of the Confederacy & White Supremacy

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/uni...ite-supremacy/

Old 07-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree with the points you've raised however it's hardly surprising considering the Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda masquerading as history, & swallowed hook, line, & sinker by generation after generation of American people.

United Daughters of the Confederacy & White Supremacy

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/uni...ite-supremacy/
The Lost Cause mythology is something many people cooked up to deal with losing the war. There is another reality to consider. Many in the South knew how reprehensible their cause was. However, some held it dear. Some knew how wrong they are, but they are unrepentant about it. One of the easiest things to to is lie. In order to convince others of a lie, you have to first convince YOURSELF of that lie. People will sometimes tell themselves what they want to hear. I don't see it was buying the propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I look at it as some people not wanting to listen. You can show people the truth, but it's as you say: for some people, it isn't in their best interest to know better. The reason you can't awaken someone pretending to be asleep, is because they wish they weren't awake. Many people will accept lies as long as those lies feel good.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:52 PM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,300 times
Quote:
The Lost Cause mythology is something many people cooked up to deal with losing the war. There is another reality to consider. Many in the South knew how reprehensible their cause was. However, some held it dear. Some knew how wrong they are, but they are unrepentant about it. One of the easiest things to to is lie. In order to convince others of a lie, you have to first convince YOURSELF of that lie. People will sometimes tell themselves what they want to hear. I don't see it was buying the propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I look at it as some people not wanting to listen. You can show people the truth, but it's as you say: for some people, it isn't in their best interest to know better. The reason you can't awaken someone pretending to be asleep, is because they wish they weren't awake. Many people will accept lies as long as those lies feel good.
Good story.

Being constantly offended by the 150+ year past is a new thing.

In the 70s and 80s the #1 show on TV was the Dukes of Hazzard, back when people weren't so sensitive about things from 150 years ago.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Good story.

Being constantly offended by the 150+ year past is a new thing.

In the 70s and 80s the #1 show on TV was the Dukes of Hazzard, back when people weren't so sensitive about things from 150 years ago.
Prove me wrong. Make a liar out of me. If you can't do that, then just admit that you don't like what's going on and leave it at that.

I decided to do some research on the top television shows of the 1970s, using the Nielsen Media Research data.

The Dukes of Hazzard had a run between 1979-1985. The show never ranked #1 in the ratings. I came in 2nd, in its 2nd season, but fell off after that. It didn't crack the top 10 after 1982.

Something else. How many Black people actually watched the show and liked it during that time? What Black people thought of it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Black people weren't happy about Confederate monuments in 1900, or 1960. This is not a new thing. Many people just never cared what alot of Black people had to say about it.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong. Make a liar out of me. If you can't do that, then just admit that you don't like what's going on and leave it at that.

I decided to do some research on the top television shows of the 1970s, using the Nielsen Media Research data.

The Dukes of Hazzard had a run between 1979-1985. The show never ranked #1 in the ratings. I came in 2nd, in its 2nd season, but fell off after that. It didn't crack the top 10 after 1982.

Something else. How many Black people actually watched the show and liked it during that time? What Black people thought of it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Black people weren't happy about Confederate monuments in 1900, or 1960. This is not a new thing. Many people just never cared what alot of Black people had to say about it.
waaahhh poor poor me

Those in the South were fighting to defend their country. As if the working class which didn't have the slaves really cared about slavery. What's next? Germans fought for their country because they hated Jews?

Just another lefty trying to rewrite history. The 1619 project next?

Old 07-03-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You found out "the Ku Klux Klan was technically out of existence by 1879" by reading a "romanticized" "historical" account written by a UDC author?

The same UDC who were instrumental in ensuring their "romanticized history" was taught to generation after generation of American people rather than an honest, reality-based & accurate history based on primary sources?

The same UDC who was instrumental in building monuments to honor the Confederacy, a white supremacist way of life, & the KKK?

Full text of "The Ku Klux Klan or Invisible empire"

https://archive.org/stream/cu3192408...30117_djvu.txt

Romantic it's not.
The UDC was basically a propaganda machine. In a big way, you could say the KKK were the paramilitary enforcers of it.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
House Votes to Purge ALL Confederate Statues From the Capitol

So the Party that was responsible for Slavery is now trying to erase it's own history.
I look at the statement made and I shudder. Yes, the Democrats of 1865 were Confederates and pro-slavery. Who is defending the Confederate flag and calling for Confederate statues to remain in place? It's mostly Republicans. The Southern Democrats of 1865 are not the Democrats of today. Back then, southern Democrats were the conservatives. Today, Republicans are the conservatives.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,485 times
Quote:

Wrong.

When the Dukes of Hazzard came on, the network exec was out of the country. When he came back, he saw the show and gave instructions to a junior exec to cancel it. The following conversation occurred:

Junior Exec: "You really do not want to do that."

Exec: "And just why shouldn't I want do that?"

Junior Exec: It's number one.

It was number one for the first few weeks (but not a year).

And at the time this was on, the confederate flag did not represent favoring slavery or siding with the south. It was largely an opposition of government overkill, alcohol revenuers, and the 55 speed limit.

And what I really do not understand is tearing down a monument that honored the dead in the war. Most of the soldiers didn't own slaves and were mainly defending property from invaders. Why should they be dishonored because of slavery haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies