Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2021, 06:10 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
well everyone had slaves during Washington's time on both sides of the line.

They didn't need to fight for the right to own slaves. It was never questioned!
It was questioned & debated from day 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 06:13 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, when you lose you’re a traitor, but when you win you’re a revolutionary.

George Washington is a massive traitor and committed treason to Britain.
It sounds to me like the two of you are attempting to use a whataboutism in an attempt to bring equivalence between George Washington and Robert E. Lee. Seriously!? I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,591 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Democrats seems to forget they’re the ones who those statues are about.

I guess if they close their eyes, their history of enslavement, KKK, Jim Crow, and the confederacy will magically disappear and they’ll no longer be on the wrong side of history.
You can try to hoodwink others by saying it was the democrat party that was KKK, Jim Crow. But a clearer way to look at it, is the MAGA crowd is the one fighting tooth and nail to keep the confederate statues.

It's the MAGA crowd who's granddaddies enacted Jim Crow and enforced Jim Crow. It was the granddaddies of the MAGA crowd who wore white capes and burned crosses in the yards of black people.

And it's the CONFEDERATE states, who are Red.

You can pretend it's the blue states, and blue state people who were the slaveholders, and the Jim Crow enforcers, but all you have to do is look at a political map, and know it's not true.

And it's the MAGA crowd who threatened with death, the company that was contracted by the mayor of New Orleans to remove the confederate statues in 2017.

You can't blame the hatred of your ancestors, on the democrats. The hateful racists now, were descended from the hateful racists back then, the Red State crowd.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-06-2021 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:

And that's why they probably don't have a lot of George Washington statues in London.

That would be odd, wouldn't it?

About as odd has having traitors to the US statues in Washington DC.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Certainly, not EVERYONE had slaves. FAR from that.

Can you imagine how outnumbered the colonists would have been, if EVERY white man had "slaveS"?

Old 07-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They need to remove nearly EVERY statue in the capitol, because of what many of them did to Native Americans, who owned this land before outsiders arrived and took it over, and nearly wiped them off the planet.

The White man did Native Americans much worse than what the Confederates did to the black man. White man = racist killers.

Every stature of a Democrat must be removed because they resisted the end of slavery. Only the Republican statues should be left standing of Pubs born after the trail of tears.

Anything else is totally hypocritical.
Unnecessary dddrrraaammmaaa.

Just start with Nathan Bedford Forrest, a key figure in the Trail of Tears, who became a General in the Confederate army, who butchered soldiers attempting to surrender at Fort Pillow, a slave owner, & a leader in the Ku Klux Klan.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:16 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The more I learn, the less I like them. There was a time when I thought confederate flags hanging from house were fine. I figured it just meant that the person who lived there came from the South. Not that I would put up some New England flag if I moved away, but still I thought it was fine. Never bothered me and I never thought much about it.

But when I realized that they were doing it to honor such things as slavery (OWNING a person??!!) and trying to break American in two, that they were traitors... Washington D.C., being the nation's capital, shouldn't honor traitors. I think they could keep statues of their brave and great generals to honor their courage and leadership, not their beliefs, but certainly not in Washington D.C. I'm trying to be open minded about it because a lot of people think all the statues should go. But I'm not one for erasing history and I'd never think of ridding our country of anything regarding Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, or any of the other founding fathers because they did great things for us all even though they were not perfect. Times do change and they were men of their times who did much for all of us in America.
It tends to work that way for some people. Back in high school, one of my teachers really began to not like the Confederate flag after reading more about the Confederate cause.

I grew up in the South, namely Georgia. I have lived in other parts of the USA. However, my teenage years were spent in Georgia. I would frequently hear "southern heritage" from some people. I never bought into that.

There is one thing that I've mentioned over and over, but few people think about this. A majority of African-Americans are Southerners. If flying a Confederate flag is suppose to be about southern heritage, then a majority of African-Americans should be flying the Confederate flag. And yet, the opposite it taking place. I hardly ever see African-Americans hanging Confederate flags from their porches or cars in the South, or anywhere else in America.

The Founding Fathers, well, I'll just say this. I'm not going to call for their statues to be torn down. They didn't found the USA for the same reason the Confederates were trying to establish the Confederacy. And that is where the differences are apparent.

I can't imagine a reason anyone in New England or anywhere not the South woud fly a Confederate flag. Said persons can't rely on the "southern heritage" line.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
And the more I hear about them from the vile media and cancel culture the more I admire them.
I would go read the original documents of the Confederate Constitution, Cornerstone Speech, and Articles of Secession. After reading all of that (instead of stuff from the media), would you still admire them? Would you still admire said persons after seeing for yourself what the Confederate cause was about?

Old 07-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:

The Confederates, however, did feel they needed to fight to keep slavery. And for that reason, they do not deserve to be lionized or to have statues in their honor. Why should I respect "Confederate heritage"? Why should I be in favor of keeping those statues up? What is in it for me?

Old 07-06-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:

So what? What are you attempting to enunciate?

When one loses the mythologized Lost Cause version of history?

Ulysses S. Grant in defense of Robert E. Lee however not defending (or justifying, rationalizing, romanticizing, legitimizing, normalizing, etc.) his cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant
...When I had left camp that morning I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place, and consequently was in rough garb. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horseback on the field, and wore a soldier’s blouse for a coat, with the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. When I went into the house I found General Lee. We greeted each other, and after shaking hands took our seats. I had my staff with me, a good portion of whom were in the room during the whole of the interview.

What General Lee’s feelings were I do not know. As he was a man of much dignity, with an impassible face, it was impossible to say whether he felt inwardly glad that the end had finally come, or felt sad over the result, and was too manly to show it. Whatever his feelings, they were entirely concealed from my observation; but my own feelings, which had been quite jubilant on the receipt of his letter, were sad and depressed. I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. ...

--Ulysses S. Grant (1822–85). Personal Memoirs. 1885–86.
Chapter LXVII. Grant, Ulysses S. 1885–86. Personal Memoirs

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4367...f/4367-pdf.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies