Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 07:43 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I know one lady who was smashed on a single Margareta. And she would always have two. I would not let her drive home. But she was more than consensual...she was aggressive after two.
I'd wager that most jurors or judges--if such a case ever got that far with the above fact pattern and extending the fact pattern to hypothetically include sex while smashed--would conclude that someone was capable of consent after a single margarita . . . even if someone's particular situation led her to be "smashed" on a single margarita, there's again the issue of evidence, etc. Being able to say "yes" and being able to gravitate toward sex doesn't mean that the law considers you capable of consent. But, again, these are fact-driven situations and there is a reasonableness to the arguments that prosecutors have to made and convince a judge or jury. In such cases, again, there has to be a complainant. And such a complainant needs to be credible as an accused doesn't have to testify, etc.

But, note, under a fact pattern similar to my expanded hypothetical above, if an accused stated for the record that he knew a particular concoction of margarita was liable to make someone smashed/high/etc., and there was later a complainant, it's not difficult IMO to see how such an accused would have a tough time in court. Assuming that such an incriminating statement was admissible in court. Bill Cosby's issue here was that he told on himself. Granted, he only told on himself due to the prosecutor's at the time agreement to not try him criminally ever, but the point still remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 09:25 PM

6,294 posts, read 2,855,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Bill Cosby's issue here was that he told on himself. Granted, he only told on himself due to the prosecutor's at the time agreement to not try him criminally ever, but the point still remains.
People confess to things they didn't do ALL THE TIME to avoid trials and the possibility of prison.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:32 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Bill Cosby raped 60 upper class women, cover girls ect,. Thats why he did the time. The Boy Scouts raped 16,000 boys and I haven't heard of any one doing significant time over that. This past week a 19 year old in a small Missouri town raped a young girl every day for two years. He used a knife to threaten her. The deal he made will get him 120 days , yes days in jail.
The point you're missing is Cosby is filthy rich, so he is subject to accusations of rape from every opportunist he ****ed in the last fifty years.

Boy scout troop leaders don't have a lot of money.

Sleazy reptilian lawyers have no interest in them.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:34 PM

24,450 posts, read 9,315,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
People confess to things they didn't do ALL THE TIME to avoid trials and the possibility of prison.
So he lied under oath? You do know that’s illegal right?

Old 07-05-2021, 02:40 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sure, he did. The deposition was pretty damning as he admitted that quaaludes made people "high" and that other pills with a similar purpose as quaaludes had an impact on the "nervous system"; high people can't consent to sex and this concept isn't new.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...nap-story.html

The deposition is very damning. By noting that quaaludes caused people to become "high and that similarly purposed pills had an impact the nervous system," how is Cosby not admitting to using quaaludes--which he admits he used to give to women before sex and admitted to never taking the drug himself as they made him "sleepy"--for the reason that the other poster stated?
None of that says what you purported.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:42 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,505,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This was black privilege and money.

For those who think your average Joe would’ve got the same due process with 33 accusers, I have a bridge to sell you.
I disagree. His due process would never have been so egregiously trampled if he wasn't a big star. The prosecutor was simply looking for a big name and they were prepared to break the law to do so.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:45 AM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
Another shining example of the just-us system.
And YOU ain't in it, ducky.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:15 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The point you're missing is Cosby is filthy rich, so he is subject to accusations of rape from every opportunist he ****ed in the last fifty years.

Boy scout troop leaders don't have a lot of money.

Sleazy reptilian lawyers have no interest in them.
The point you missed is both Cosby and the Boy Scouts spent millions paying off heir victims until there were lots of victims who refused to be paid off to keep their silence.

That's why the Boy Scouts are no longer rich. They were very rich before the tide turned and left the organization open to paying for damages. The victimized Scouts didn't go after the troop leaders; they went after the organization.

Cosby is now 88, so it's possible he's so old he won't re-offend. But there's no guarantee that he won't, and he still has enough of his wealth left that he could go right back to it for as long as his sex drive lasts.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:11 AM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
None of that says what you purported.
Sure, it does. It's spelled out in black and white. There was a reason why he was convicted initially, the issue of whether his initial statements made in the civil deposition being non-admissible notwithstanding. The prosecution argued exactly what I brought you. You seem to be one of the few who aren't seeing this

Old 07-05-2021, 07:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,857,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I know one lady who was smashed on a single Margareta. And she would always have two. I would not let her drive home. But she was more than consensual...she was aggressive after two.
Back in the day such a Woman would simply just not drink. But I find most people will just run around in circles on this subject. It is very hard for me to understand the perspective many American Women take in regards to these "Men in Power took advantage of me" tropes we've dealt with in the media for the past 5 years.

Women in my family are (truly) strong and independent. They didn't rely on any Man with connections or influence to provide for them. Both my grandfathers raised them to be self sufficient and not tolerate abuse or belittling. Both grandfathers were alcoholics, not uncommon for that generation, and so generally neither my Mother or Aunts drink much. Oh and lastly the most important part is we are Black.

So it is impossible for me to comprehend why a young White Woman in the 70s/80s would be alone with a Black Man 20 years her senior in a hotel (celebrity or not) after dark for "career advice" and think that's all she's going to get. After all - Based on the prevailing stereotypes, especially at the time - We're all lustful baboons that can't control ourselves, and "America's Dad" or not, to most Whites he was just a "n----er with money".

So as a Black Man it seems incredibly hard to believe that these Women were there against their will. And even our corrupt Justice system appears to agree. Whether he had a penchant for young White girls I could care less... It was all consensual and on the up and up...And clearly the Black Women supporting him couldn't care less either. Let's just be accurate and precise here. Black Women have zero problems throwing Black Men under the bus and exchanging racial for gender solidarity. That largely has not happened here, which is telling.

Either way the Cosby cases will be analyzed for years to come. Because it is the intersection of everything that is dysfunctional about gender, race and class in America.

Also, I don't see any Ghislaine Maxwell in this case. Unless I missed something. Unless you all believe it's Claire Huxtable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies