Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 04:12 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,417,373 times

Advertisements

Democrats give criminals a pass and punish the law-abiding. How can a society continue like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,417,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How is this different from car owners being forced to carry liability insurance, and pay a registration tax every year?

If you own something that could cause grievous damage to someone else, you need to be able to cover the damage you do.

These gun owners aren't going to be responsible for insuring OTHER gun owners, just themselves and the weapons THEY own.

Just like homeowners, and business owners and doctors are forced to carry liability. In case they harm someone, that person doesn't have to bear the burden themselves.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:16 AM

3,064 posts, read 3,246,262 times
Quote:
Garza is the district attorney, who is proving himself to be extremely soft on crime. The cops don't believe what he was saying, and don't support dropping the charges against the two initially arrested.
That "the cops" don't believe what he's saying is not evidence to contradict what he did say. Do you have any links that expand on why they don't believe him? Certainly even if the two showed their weapons, or brandished their weapons, that would be even more justification for filing some level of charges.

But again, this is exactly the point. One can pass all the guns laws in the world, but if they are not enforced then all that occurs is the further restrictions of one's rights ad infinitum. And if the public's reaction is to simply encourage that exact behaviour, then guess what, things get worse.

It's like some little kid with their parent in a store, the kid picks up a gumball and chucks it at someone. The kid picks up another gumball and chucks it at someone else, and all the while the parent just saying "stop it" but the kid just ignores them. In trots good samaritan and spotting the gumball carnage, exclaims "something must be done" and then proceeds to force the store owner to stop selling gumballs.

Last edited by austinnerd; 07-01-2021 at 06:23 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 06:07 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,580,657 times
Well then, I suppose that settles it then. By the rationale of the San Jose city council in the land of fruits and nuts the entire Bill of Rights is taxable. If you own a computer you must insure it and pay an annual tax lest the words you put down with it cause harm (offense) to others. People cannot be allowed to "trigger" others with impunity via their written opinions after all. The money from the tax will be used to create "safe spaces" for people triggered by the opinions of others to flee to and tremble in private.

Oh my, only in CA. Once again the regular honest citizens who choose to exercise their right to keep and bear arms are forced to pay the price for criminals who use firearms for nefarious purpose. It amazes me how many people actually believe the Democrat bilge that criminals just walk into a gun store and walk out with a firearm. Also that firearms stolen from honest citizens are how gangs and other violent criminals arm themselves in greatest number. Such stolen property is a very small percentage of firearms in criminal hands.

Particularly with violent street gangs i.e. MS 13 et al. In CA that idea is so ludicrous it defies reason. The cartels practically run huge swaths of CA cities via their street gang foot soldiers and they run weapons in with virtual impunity. That was curtailed a lot with the border policies of the last administration but Biden has allowed them to hang out their shingle again. They may as well put up neon signs and open arms bazzars like they have in Somalia.

And the politicians in the land of fruits and nuts just keep hammering at CA citizens 2A rights and turn a blind eye to the real problem. Worse shootings happen every day in than the railyard incident that provoked this move by San Jose in the ganglands of San Diego, LA, Fresno, San Freakcisco and yes San Jose. They just don't make headlines. LOL, mostly they never make the news at all. Because nobody who lives in the areas these incidents happen call the cops. Not even non criminal residents. They aren't allowed guns and even if they were they'd be horribly outgunned and CA laws frown on decent working citizens defending their families and themselves.

A gang soldier is far less likely to be arrested and convicted of a drive by shooting than an honest citizen who shoots an armed intruder in their home. And in CA such intruders also have the right to sue a homeowner who shoots them in commission of a home invasion. Does that seem right? Seems kinda weird to me. CA has just gotten pathetic with such laws.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:23 AM

39,029 posts, read 51,089,285 times
The proposed requirement is idiocy, plain and simple. Liability insurance generally does not apply to criminal acts of the insured which is what this apparently is doing? If it is to establish a source of funding for victim compensation, it would make more sense to impose a special use tax (sales tax) on firearms.

Citizens in San Jose and across the nation are truly disturbed by gun crime in their communities. They are frustrated with the inability to control access and ownership of guns by bad actors. But this is not the answer.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:36 AM

78,040 posts, read 60,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I think it will take years, but this too will eventually be tossed by SCOTUS. It’s an infringement that won’t pass the test.
It's essentially a "poll tax" and these types of taxes and fees etc. have been tried repeatedly and is blatantly unconstitutional.

As such, this is either gross stupidity or empty grandstanding on the part of the San Jose leadership.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,436,400 times
Quote:
I bet this will be picked up by a LOT of municipalities.

I'm sickened by how much gun crime there is in our country, and my beautiful little town, and I'm ready for realistic gun control that gets guns out of the hands of criminals. By a variety of measures. Those two teens who were first arrested for the mass shooting and one murder in one of our entertainment districts have had ALL charges dropped, because it appears that although the little monsters were shooting into the crowd, they were unsuccessful actually hitting anyone. That's outrageous. Anyone who illegally uses a gun should have the book thrown at them.

And also, makes sure that victims of legal gun owners can recoup their losses, in the case of a gun owner who leaves his gun somewhere with easy access to small children. Liability insurance.
Gun control will do nothing! Take a deep breathe and read without bias - California already has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. They are addressing the symptom of larger underlying problems, instead of the underlying problems themselves.

Why were all charges dropped on the shooters? I agree with going after illegal gun owners. It's the democrat party who wants to punish the law abiding citizen.

I agree that people who do not handle their firearms responsibly should be held accountable. In fact, I think it's time we held parents of minors accountable for more of their children's actions. That might be one way to legislate attentive (not necessarily good) parenting.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:55 AM

922 posts, read 383,462 times
"Gun Violence" to me is nothing more than a political tool / slogan. Addressing the VIOLENCE in our streets and neighborhoods is what needs to happen. And with that said, since everyone is capable of violence, I suppose we need to impose a tax on every individual to pay for the cost of violence throughout our country.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:03 AM

3,064 posts, read 3,246,262 times
Quote:
You have to be a company that owns 26 cars to self-insure.

So no. The individual driver can't self-insure in your state.
Not quite:

Quote:
By Texas law, you do not have to purchase a car insurance policy to drive as long as you can provide another acceptable form of financial responsibility. A cash deposit or a cashier's check with a county judge verifying you have deposited at least $55,000 is accepted as proof of financial responsibility. As is a surety bond or a copy of a self-insurance certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:38 AM

35,525 posts, read 17,829,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Your logic is flawed...……. even if you accept the conclusions drawn by the article, it is saying that about 20% of gun crimes are committed by legal gun owners...…. NOT that 20% of legal gun owners commit gun crimes. Have you checked the percentage of total legal gun owners who commit gun crimes? It is miniscule.
No, your reading is flawed. This is exactly what I said:

So, about a fifth of the gun crimes in this stat are committed by those with legal ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies