Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 11:10 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

but it's Republicans fault, according to Psircleback Psaki

Quote:
Democrats in the House on Thursday blocked consideration of a Republican resolution opposing efforts pushed by some on the left to defund police departments across the country.

“Our resolution strongly opposes what I think is one of the craziest public policy proposals I have ever seen—this idea that we’re going to defund the police,” Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, said Thursday in remarks delivered on the House floor.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/06/...defund-police/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Frankly, I'd like to see them give up their armored vehicles, grenades and machine guns. You really want those "weapons of war" potentially (or accidently as collateral damage) used against citizens ? Given the lack of marksmanship some local police have I flat out do not trust them. I've seen no less than three departments banned from gun clubs because of bullet holes in clubhouse or firing range walls or roofs.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:31 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Frankly, I'd like to see them give up their armored vehicles, grenades and machine guns. You really want those "weapons of war" potentially (or accidently as collateral damage) used against citizens ? Given the lack of marksmanship some local police have I flat out do not trust them. I've seen no less than three departments banned from gun clubs because of bullet holes in clubhouse or firing range walls or roofs.
Supplied by the Obama admin...

Nov. 2014 - How the Obama administration gives away military-grade weapons to local police

Several federal programs are helping local law enforcement to acquire heavy weapons, either by making funds available or by providing the equipment directly. One program at the Pentagon transferred surplus military equipment worth nearly half a billion dollars to local police last year. Grants provided by the Department of Homeland Security total another $1 billion, and Holder's department provides hundreds of millions more.

The ACLU has called for a moratorium on the Pentagon's program, which transfers surplus military equipment, arguing that the Pentagon should not provide local police with armored personnel carriers or automatic weapons.

The goal is ultimately the same as it is now - a federally controlled local police force. Back then, they looked to give them a bunch of money with big expensive toys in exchange for compliance with federal mandates.

Today, it's defund, create a crisis, and replace. But the goal is the same - a federal controlled force that polices local areas.

From the WaPo article... this was the plan back then. Give money, control behavior.

The administration could, for example, mandate that any department receiving federal support equip its officers with body cameras.

Another approach would be to require departments to provide data showing that their officers do not discriminate by race in stopping drivers. Missouri's attorney general issued a report last year finding that Ferguson's police officers were twice as likely to arrest black drivers as white drivers during traffic stops. Departments with wide racial disparities in enforcement would not be eligible for federal money.

Alternatively, the federal government could require police officers to undergo training in how to deescalate violent altercations with people of other races, or people who are mentally ill, without using lethal force.

"Money is a powerful incentive for change in this country, and always has been," said the NAACP's Ifill. "We're suggesting it's time we applied that to law enforcement grants."

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-01-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies