Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 08:17 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,140,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What really happens:

Arizona is growing very rapidly. As a consequence, new voter precincts are created each election cycle. People who voted for years at the local school may find that they are now in a new precinct that votes at the church. They don't see this on the voting materials sent out, so they show up at the school like always. But that is a new precinct (but the same congressional district, etc) and not theirs anymore. In the past, they were allowed to vote there, but now their vote will be discarded and they will be disenfranchised.

It isn't just Dems affected, but the Republicans have done the statistics and found that MORE Dems were affected than Reps (there have been accusations that GOP election officials deliberately scramble precincts to confuse voters in Dem areas), thus they outlawed it.
Ran into this a couple of times when I have been a poll worker.

How it works:
You tell the voter they are in the wrong precinct and tell them their correct precinct according to the voter rolls.
  • If it’s a recent change for their area there will be an anticipation of this and the poll officers will have little slips of paper with directions to the new polling place to hand out, person trots over there.
  • If it’s that they went to wrong place because it’s their first time voting or they recently moved you give them the name and address of the new place. They can look it up on their phone. If they don’t have a phone you or another map competent volunteer get out the map that comes in the precinct supplies and help them find it on the map if they need it - most don’t by the way.
  • If it’s near poll closing time or they swear they can’t go to the other place what happens next depends on the state. (I only saw this happen once) In Virginia they were allowed to fill out a provisional ballot, I’m not sure what happened with it after that. I’m sure in some states they are SOL.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-03-2021 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Fixed major spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM

4,651 posts, read 1,946,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
These laws in no way impact minority voters. That’s simply a made up liberal talking point that isn’t based on reality.
Sure its based on the leftist "reality" that minorities are not capable of doing the same thing white people do.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:11 AM

10,058 posts, read 7,226,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Sure its based on the leftist "reality" that minorities are not capable of doing the same thing white people do.
They're right when it comes to Native American reservations. AZ is kinda screwing the Res community with the "harvesting" rule.

But general minorities no, most of them have IDs up to date and getting to the right precinct is not a problem. The decision showed that we're talking a tiny percentage of voters who are confused on that, and it's likely not a significant lean to either party. Provisional ballots would resolve that issue.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,874,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Goodnight is the poster who think latinos and blacks can't get a id cards The soft bigotry of low expectations!!!
Perhaps, but I heard an interesting reason why identification (ID) cards is a problem on this past week's PBS News Hour weekly Brooks and Capheart segment. That is that states aren't asking for voter ID but the ID that is asked for. In some states you can use a gun registration to vote but a picture student ID, no. I'm sure if we had way for identification be accessible. Let's remember, for now DMVs are not that accesible where they have check-ins or a waitlist, leaving a lot of people not getting a chance. Once this opens up, I don't think it is a bad idea. That said having a scanned copy of voter ID included with a mail-in ballot is entirely too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMnWEjOopQ

Old 07-05-2021, 01:07 PM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Perhaps, but I heard an interesting reason why identification (ID) cards is a problem on this past week's PBS News Hour weekly Brooks and Capheart segment. That is that states aren't asking for voter ID but the ID that is asked for. In some states you can use a gun registration to vote but a picture student ID, no. I'm sure if we had way for identification be accessible. Let's remember, for now DMVs are not that accesible where they have check-ins or a waitlist, leaving a lot of people not getting a chance. Once this opens up, I don't think it is a bad idea. That said having a scanned copy of voter ID included with a mail-in ballot is entirely too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMnWEjOopQ
Why doesn't the left complain about ID being required to enroll in public assistance programs like Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc.? Or to apply for Social Security and Medicare benefits? Or to get a job, open a bank account, rent an apartment, enroll kids in public school, etc.? Isn't requiring ID for those things also just as supposedly racist?

Old 07-05-2021, 01:13 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,038,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why doesn't the left complain about ID being required to enroll in public assistance programs like Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc.? Or to apply for Social Security and Medicare benefits? Or to get a job, open a bank account, rent an apartment, enroll kids in public school, etc.? Isn't requiring ID for those things also just as supposedly racist?
Couldn't rep you again, so

Old 07-05-2021, 01:54 PM

10,058 posts, read 7,226,301 times
Quote:
Before WWII plastic IDs were not a thing. Our right to vote precedes and takes priority over plastic IDs and should not be dependent upon them.

When I last moved states, I hit the DMV at a bad time, got on the wrong side of a DMV worker having a bad day. As a result my ID application was messed up for 6 months; I continued to use my old ID which luckily didn't expire for 9 months. When I went back a few months later I got a helpful worker & resolved it. This was 2 months before an election. Luckily there was not strict voter ID in that state or else I would not have been able to vote in the jurisdiction to which I had moved.

So are you willing to risk your ability to vote on the competence of a DMV worker? I am not.

It's funny that the people who want strict voter ID are the same people who point to the DMV as the poster boy for government inefficiency and incompetence.

I, for one, am not willing to make my right to vote dependent on a 3rd party state licensing agency that's often understaffed, overworked, and incompetent.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
OK but then why is a student ID (which has photo ID) not permissible as voting ID while a hunting ID is. If it was just a DMV ID maybe you could get more people behind it, the issue is it often includes an asinine list of which ID are legal, which aren't. I'm guessing since I have to explain it to you you didn't watch the video I posted in that reply...

Old 07-05-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Why aren't they just simply told their new polling place when they arrive at the wrong precinct? That's what is done everywhere I've lived. No vote stacking cheating that way.
Arizona only had that for 2020 for a general but typically primaries ran into many problems of precincts closing the day of due to staffing issues or some are hit with tabulation machine issues causing them to close. The issue is unless election day becomes a holiday, we have a limited amount of time to vote. As Oldhag mentioned in her post, sometimes the state closes the location when the 7/8pm time hits while others keep the lines open and some is discretionary. I want to say AZ is discretionary since there have been several years of the general election having some type of SNAFU that extends lines that wasn't anticipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies