Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 06:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 hours ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
So we now praise politicians for doing their damn jobs? We are now praising the bureaucracy for serving the people that they solely exist to serve?

Jesus, it doesn't take much to impress people.

BTW, was this before or after The Exploiter in Cheif blamed climate change for the building collapse without any "firm proof"?
I think a lot of people are remembering Trump initially denying aid to states who were experiencing emergencies, but were run by democrats.

This seems like an incredibly refreshing return to normalcy, that states that need help will get it, and won't have to lick the hand of the President and beg.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So nice. Political adversaries acting like normal people, doing their jobs, treating each other with complete respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Y'all are just ridiculous. Seriously. Anything to argue about something and bash the other guy's politician. This forum is like the elementary school playground on most days. You wonder why the country is so divided, just visit POC on City-Data. Sheesh.

I am glad that DeSantis and Biden were able to act more like adults than most of the posters in this forum.
I agree. I am in favor of giving credit where credit is due, even for small deeds and efforts of cooperation for the good of the country and the constituents one serves done by politicians I don't normally agree with politically.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,360,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's base is not going to like this. Remember when Chris Christie hugged Obama after Hurricane Sandy? The hard right crowd got all offended and called Christie a RINO, traitor, and worse.
Yeah, about the same when Newsom & Cuomo praised Trump for his help during the pandemic. Sometimes politics have to be put aside.

Something you obviously can't do.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:20 PM

4,956 posts, read 2,233,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think a lot of people are remembering Trump initially denying aid to states who were experiencing emergencies, but were run by democrats.

This seems like an incredibly refreshing return to normalcy, that states that need help will get it, and won't have to lick the hand of the President and beg.
I do recall that FEMA recommended that President Trump deny Newsome's request for federal aid because the California wildfires were not of such severity and magnitude to exceed the combined capabilities of the state, affected local governments, voluntary agencies, and other responding federal agencies.

And that President Trump reversed his decision shortly thereafter after he had a one on one conversation with Governor Newsome.

It's not like federal disaster relief hasn't been denied about 120 times since 1974....

But California also wastes so much money on failed social programs that I am in agreement with President Trump that they should get their fiscal act together before requesting federal tax dollars to manage a crisis they could have likely mitigated in the first place.

And before the whiners snap back with how much federal income tax Hollywood and Silicone Valley pays, I think they should keep most of their federal dollars and finance their state budgets via state taxes on other in-state sources of revenue. Just as I believe every other state should do.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:24 PM

17,596 posts, read 6,890,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Biden praised DeSantis (R), Rubio (R) and Rick Scott (R).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjdqlWq-hU
So why isn’t this thread called “Biden Praises DeSantis” or “Biden Praises Republicans”?

Old 07-01-2021, 07:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
I hate DeSanntis and think he's a wanna be fascist banana republic dictator who would destroy what's left of America.

But, unlike Former White House Occupant, he's also a grown up who knows that yes, sometimes working with people you don't like it what it takes to get things done. Same goes for Biden. The adults are back in charge of things and are willing to work together to try to come up with a strategy to better inspect and repair buildings and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
I'm not a huge fan of DeSantis but he's clever and as some have pointed out -- he knows when to be an adult and just play the political game.

If DeSantis has hopes of being a presidential candidate he wants my vote as much as he wants the die hard Republican vote.

The only way to maybe sway me to vote for him is for him to show that he is not a partisan hack...and can be an adult.

This doesn't mean DeSantis supports Biden and his policies -- it means that when the federal government does what it should for a state they can say thank you without being a traitor to conservative policies.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:57 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The President traveled to Florida to view the building collapse and offer condolences.
While there, he met with the Governor and offered continued support.
No conditions, just doing the right thing for their fellow Americans.

What a concept.

“Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday praised President Joe Biden’s federal response to the collapse of a condo building in the coastal suburb of Surfside — providing a moment of bipartisan bonhomie between the leader of the Democratic Party and a rising star within Donald Trump’s GOP.

The governor went on to assess that cooperation between local, state and federal partners seeking to manage the fallout from the building collapse “has been great,” telling Biden: “You guys have not only been supportive at the federal level, but we’ve had no bureaucracy.”
“I promise you,” the president replied, “there will be none.””

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ollapse-497550
He praised a federal agency, Biden had nothing to do with what the federal employees did. It would be like claiming someone was praising a mayor for applauding the work the fire department did in putting out a fire.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He praised a federal agency, Biden had nothing to do with what the federal employees did. It would be like claiming someone was praising a mayor for applauding the work the fire department did in putting out a fire.
Liberals are weird.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So Trump didn't do anything for any of the victims of hurricanes -- the federal gencies did..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.