Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 03:36 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times

Advertisements

School Choice: It allows capitalism and competition to fix things. If school A is doing a terrible job and school B isn't, then school B gets the students and school A eventually ceases to exist. If school A is loaded with a bunch of terrible teachers with tenure (who can't be fired) they can either shape up or they can go down with the sinking ship.

Unfortunately for urban schools, Democrats are running everything and Democrats hate school choice. They're a lot more interested in keeping minorities in an endless state of rage with made up nonsense like the 1619 Project, Critical Race Theory, Black Lives Matter, etc. Ensuring that your kids are capable of reading and writing or being able to do basic mathematics after graduating High School just ain't a priority for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Teach them at home so it doesn't matter that educators are incompetent? Why do we need schools if parents are supposed to teach their children at home?
I went to school READY to learn. I could already read, write, do simple mathematics and communicate on a fairly advanced level at 5 years old. Certainly not a prodigy, and I’m of average intelligence. I learned all these things at home in addition to having a Montessori pre-k education on up through elementary school.

My point is that teachers have to have something to work with. You can’t send functionally illiterate kids to school who have spent their entire pre-K years goofing off, playing video games, watching tv and running around outside. Parents have a responsibility to give their children basic skills. Too many parents aren’t doing that.

Come on I.C...i know you’re ALWAYS looking to disagree with me over every damn thing, but you’re too damn smart (dare I say smarter than me) to parrot this bull**** that you’re saying here just to be disputatious for no reason. You know damn well that I’m right.

You simply hate teachers and their unions so much that you’re being blinded in this instance. Knock it the eff off!

Old 07-02-2021, 04:21 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
School Choice: It allows capitalism and competition to fix things. If school A is doing a terrible job and school B isn't, then school B gets the students and school A eventually ceases to exist. If school A is loaded with a bunch of terrible teachers with tenure (who can't be fired) they can either shape up or they can go down with the sinking ship.

Unfortunately for urban schools, Democrats are running everything and Democrats hate school choice. They're a lot more interested in keeping minorities in an endless state of rage with made up nonsense like the 1619 Project, Critical Race Theory, Black Lives Matter, etc. Ensuring that your kids are capable of reading and writing or being able to do basic mathematics after graduating High School just ain't a priority for them.
And what happens when "school B" has no more room for enrollment? Will school B be required to accept all students regardless of academic history or capability, Special Education requirements, health related issues, language limitations, observe standardized testing required by the state? If the answer is no to any of this then School B is just another private school who will pick & choose who they want so their academic standards aren't affected. Meanwhile the monies pulled off of the public schools (school A)takes away from every student who doesn't have the option, ability or meet the criteria to attend School B.

You keep blaming a political party when the same could be said for every 3rd rate education system throughout much of the Republican lead locations, the only difference is they don't believe in investing money to improve their conditions.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:

Democrats hate school choice because it really doesn't answer the questions. School vice means school A good from bad to worse. School B can take in those who are the top of the class at school A, leaving school A with marginal students, special education students or students that come from poorer families. School A can also get worse teachers as the schools get worse.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-03-2021 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 07:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,751,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Glad to see it.

Queens black parent group vows to fight DOE in courts and elections

A black parents’ group from Queens plans to ramp up pressure on the Department of Education through the courts and political action.

The newly formed Students Improvement Association — which has ripped the low school performance in southeast Queens despite high DOE spending — pledged to dig in against the agency.

Despite spending $27,000 per student at PS 134 in Hollis, only 6 percent of fifth-graders passed their state math exams in 2019, SIA noted.

At a rally outside DOE headquarters in Manhattan on Friday, attorney Courtney Smith, who is representing the group, said SIA is preparing legal challenges to the DOE’s stewardship of District 29.

SIA argued that the DOE has repeatedly installed administrators with mediocre histories as District 29 superintendents.

That approach, the organization contends, suggests a tolerance for low achievement numbers in the largely black district.

I am loving this. I hope the get results and don't give in.

The DOE enriches useless administrators to keep black children uneducated.

You want to know where systemic racism resides... it's right there in liberalville.
It's not the teachers or admins. They could all be PHDs and Mensa member. It's the culture of the students. And I LIVE HERE. There are black communities where performance is exemplary. Why? Because the parents instill education as VERY important and an expectation.

Until the culture changes inner city schools won't have a chance.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:03 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And what happens when "school B" has no more room for enrollment? Will school B be required to accept all students regardless of academic history or capability, Special Education requirements, health related issues, language limitations, observe standardized testing required by the state? If the answer is no to any of this then School B is just another private school who will pick & choose who they want so their academic standards aren't affected. Meanwhile the monies pulled off of the public schools (school A)takes away from every student who doesn't have the option, ability or meet the criteria to attend School B.

You keep blaming a political party when the same could be said for every 3rd rate education system throughout much of the Republican lead locations, the only difference is they don't believe in investing money to improve their conditions.
Oh both parties are guilty of having bad schools, but it's the Democrat run urban areas that are by far the worst. That doesn't excuse ****-poor schools under either party. There's a reason that I am neither Democrat nor Republican. The Democrats have lost their damn minds of late, but prior to all this Neo-Marxist Critical Theory crap, they weren't any better or worse than Republicans. But they've absolutely sucked at making schools actually function at least for as long as I've been alive. Both parties suck at it and both parties need to do better. Kids might be better off being pulled from our national system of educational failure entirely. Home school or a neighborhood co-op -- whatever it takes. But nobody should have to just put up with a system that sucks money from our wallets, but utterly fails our children.

The answer for when School B gets full? Expand. Get more teachers and keep doing the things that work. Maybe even take over the building School A once it's entirely emptied. The point is simple: If you don't produce results, the kids will go elsewhere and you get nothing. The current idiotic system traps kids in bad schools and nobody should be okay with that. If a bunch of teachers who suck at their jobs have to lose those jobs, fine and good. It's not about them. It's about our kids, plain and simple.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:12 AM

88,962 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I went to school READY to learn. I could already read, write, do simple mathematics and communicate on a fairly advanced level at 5 years old. Certainly not a prodigy, and I’m of average intelligence. I learned all these things at home in addition to having a Montessori pre-k education on up through elementary school.

My point is that teachers have to have something to work with. You can’t send functionally illiterate kids to school
The point of going to school is to learn to read, write, do math computations, etc. So why are parents expected to teach their kids all of the above before kids even go to school? Sure sounds like if parents are expected to teach their kids all of that at home, we don't need schools, nor do we need overpaid teachers.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Oh both parties are guilty of having bad schools, but it's the Democrat run urban areas that are by far the worst. That doesn't excuse ****-poor schools under either party. There's a reason that I am neither Democrat nor Republican. The Democrats have lost their damn minds of late, but prior to all this Neo-Marxist Critical Theory crap, they weren't any better or worse than Republicans. But they've absolutely sucked at making schools actually function at least for as long as I've been alive. Both parties suck at it and both parties need to do better. Kids might be better off being pulled from our national system of educational failure entirely. Home school or a neighborhood co-op -- whatever it takes. But nobody should have to just put up with a system that sucks money from our wallets, but utterly fails our children.

The answer for when School B gets full? Expand. Get more teachers and keep doing the things that work. Maybe even take over the building School A once it's entirely emptied. The point is simple: If you don't produce results, the kids will go elsewhere and you get nothing. The current idiotic system traps kids in bad schools and nobody should be okay with that. If a bunch of teachers who suck at their jobs have to lose those jobs, fine and good. It's not about them. It's about our kids, plain and simple.
You clearly don't know education because, it doesn't work like that. It hasn't with NCLB or Race to the Top. And both were made by two different administrations. Trump could have tried something but instead he puts DeVos in a Sec.Ed and she never offered anything to the solution.

Having a school B takeover a school A don't typically happen. What typically happens is school A admin are moved or fired with new admin taking over. I should know. The school I worked at the past few school years was rumored to have this happen in 2019-20, prior to COVID due to our rating. Our principal stayed on and will into 2021-2. I would work there next year had my program not moved.

The problem is typically school A's in your case have parents that don't incentify education at home or cannot give Junior or Missy extra help with their homework either because they are latchkey kids or the parents don't get the homework. It happens more than we realize. The best teachers maybe able to get slightly higher score but it is still a blood from a stone situation.

The parents need to take responsibility in their child's learning. I have heard this for far too long that parents only complain too late about problems. Often times the parents were told and didn't listen. This happens especially in special education. Teachers communicate but the parents don't listen until I becomes a problem. I saw this with a student I worked with sometime this school year.

godofthunder, you really need to educate yourself in how things are. The fact is privatization of education doesn't work. Too many are locked out of education like those with individual education plans. My now former assistant principal talked about a case with a student who had an advocate with the parents after getting jerk around by a charter. Unless charters and private schools are forced to help serve students who have IEPs and not just kick them out, the private sector doesn't have answers to the education problems in this country.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:25 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
It's not the teachers or admins. They could all be PHDs and Mensa member. It's the culture of the students. And I LIVE HERE. There are black communities where performance is exemplary. Why? Because the parents instill education as VERY important and an expectation.

Until the culture changes inner city schools won't have a chance.
Agreed. Except I am not exempting the teachers and admins.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Agreed. Except I am not exempting the teachers and admins.
As I said in the post above your's (and mine wasn't racially divided because I seen it also with white students and Hispanic students) educators can only get so much blood from a stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies