Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 10:45 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Of course. The flag is gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 10:47 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Yep. Put mine out yesterday, and will leave out until Monday evening. I checked this morning, and I only see one other flag on my block, but it is early.
Same here, I put mind out last night.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:52 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
I put up my stars and stripes on Memorial Day and take it down the first day of football season and then replace it with my Seattle Seahawks flag and keep it up until the last game the Hawks play. Hopefully the last game will be Super Bowl Sunday February 13.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:54 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Exactly! Why not love America and her flag? It's not perfect and needs some fixing but how can you fix something you don't love or care about?

I think we should all at least love America. What's not to love?
Amen to that.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:04 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I don't have a flag, never thought about getting one, to be honest. I served this country in uniform, I figure that's more'n enough of a display of patriotism.

My dad (Vietnam vet) absolutely refused to fly the flag. (I think that bitterness was shared by a lot of his brothers in arms at the time.) He wouldn't stop my mom from putting it out, but he himself wouldn't. He still won't.

Myself, I don't care if others do or not--so long as it's done correctly. There's one small business in the area that I swear I'm going to walk into one day and recite the regs for how to properly display the U.S. flag from what I learned during my Army stint and make 'em do it right. *That* annoys me about flag displays.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
I’m going to repeat The NY Times article link here…

https://archive.is/AyA0l

The old rusty truck in the article photo was painted with the flag by a deceased friend of mine, you can read a little more here:

https://southoldlocal.com/2016/10/10...ry-flag-truck/

That article has a single comment on it that I will repeat here as a tribute to my missed friend and to the flag…

Quote:
With all the insufferable BS emanating from the Art World in the past fifty years or more, it's nice to read a good down-to-earth piece about a good down-to-earth artist whose work enriches his community. The artwork here of course includes the 1944 truck itself, which brings out the real meaning of the flag, with its roots in the old days of industrial might and victorious warfare, when being an American industrial worker or infantryman was something to be immensiely proud of. Rusty or not it still resonates. Even the ghosts of those old potato harvests make themselves faintly felt in this iconic memorial, reminding us of the harvesters and their humble, obscure but profoundly tragic lives—denizens of "The Other America"...

Old 07-04-2021, 12:38 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
another patriotic leftist publication checks in

American exceptionalism is grounded in racism and militarism.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:30 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Ol' Glory is up the mast. As are both my Gadsden flags, Naval Jack version and the gold one. And 157 years ago on this date was the Battle of Gettysburg. Many a young man was denied a long and promising life there. Some were blue some were grey. In the end we all came together under the Stars and Stripes. She has flown as our rallying symbol though every trial and tribulation this nation endured. Now there are them that say she is a symbol of all that is wrong and has been wrong with our country and they turn their backs on her.

But still she flies over them that fight and die to protect these craven rodents right to to turn their backs. Not only turn their backs but wave flags that represented an evil and powerful enemy of our nation. The red hammer and sickle banner of the old Soviet Union.

I fly my American flags proudly especially on this date. Them that disparage that can take a flying leap and go to Hell!

Old 07-04-2021, 01:46 PM

4,503 posts, read 1,860,989 times
There really should be two flags at this point, the American flag and the democrat flag

Old 07-04-2021, 01:56 PM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I will be flying a flag today and tomorrow.

I ran across this NY Times article, talking to people in my township about flying the flag. The old truck with a flag painted on its side is a well known roadside sight here, painted by a friend of mine who passed away right around when the pandemic started (not from COVID).

https://archive.is/AyA0l

It can be pretty conservative where I am, but demographics are changing, including many more people from NYC (locally called citiots) living here full time.
I fly mine 365 days per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies