Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 09:28 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I read the link. Northam didn't call teachers racists, although the text in the link forced that conclusion.

Apparently he spoke about how Virginia schools have systemic (structural) racism. That's in the curriculum, not automatically in the people. To jump to the conclusion that Northam accused teachers of being racist is a bit of leap, but it's surely a partisan behavior to want to exaggerate stories about the "other side."

Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is and I'm betting most people who are opposing it are just jumping on a bandwagon of soundbites and memes. But, the school system I attended in Maryland, certainly left out a LOT of negative historical events in my education. To think that I had to learn about some terrible things as almost a senior is ridiculous.

I do think that education could be more even-handed with U.S. history and well as civics. It has not been. To oppose making it more factual in schools might say something about a person. If you oppose teaching curriculum that discusses the Tulsa Massacre and Jim Crow laws, does that make you a racist?
it's hilarious that leftists immediately claim that most people who are against CRT know little about it, then pile on with abject nonsense that reveals that they themselves know nothing about it.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's hilarious that leftists immediately claim that most people who are against CRT know little about it, then pile on with abject nonsense that reveals that they themselves know nothing about it.
Did you read my post? Because you surely quoted it. I guess you aren't into reading comprehension. This is what it said: Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is.

I didn't pile on with abject nonsense that "reveals" anything. I came right out and said it. I also know that many people on here shrieking about it, have no clue what it means either. That's evident by the canned internet posting they do.

My whole point is that there's room for improvement in the education system which slants things to the way it wants. Different slants in different states. Depends on where you are raised. Lots of omissions in history courses on actions that depict our founders as perfect. Slavery was sure touched on when I went to school but it was also tamped down with the usual "but most slaves were happy with their lot" nonsense. The OP is correct that there's lots of other negative stuff out there, not taught, but should be, and I certainly agree with that.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:18 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
This must be a joke. I mean Governor Blackface making such an idiotic blanket statement.
Like they say "once a Black Facer always a Black Facer", Except for Justin Trudeau, who is a proud "Brown Facer" too

Old 07-04-2021, 11:34 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
I read the link. Northam didn't call teachers racists, although the text in the link forced that conclusion.

Apparently he spoke about how Virginia schools have systemic (structural) racism. That's in the curriculum, not automatically in the people. To jump to the conclusion that Northam accused teachers of being racist is a bit of leap, but it's surely a partisan behavior to want to exaggerate stories about the "other side."

Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is and I'm betting most people who are opposing it are just jumping on a bandwagon of soundbites and memes. But, the school system I attended in Maryland, certainly left out a LOT of negative historical events in my education. To think that I had to learn about some terrible things as almost a senior is ridiculous.

I do think that education could be more even-handed with U.S. history and well as civics. It has not been. To oppose making it more factual in schools might say something about a person. If you oppose teaching curriculum that discusses the Tulsa Massacre and Jim Crow laws, does that make you a racist?
You are most definitely correct that people are jumping on the bandwagon led by corporate media personalities who try to misrepresent basic concepts to outrage people who are sitting in their recliners and being paranoid about things going on in the outside world.

Basically, the outrage is a modern day "book burning" against anyone who wants to teach a fuller and more accurate account of history, including those things that aren't exactly a flattering part of history due to the mistreatment of racial minorities.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:36 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

And that’s because is limited with these students, and many are failing miserably. In Baltimore, not a single student passed math. Now you would rather teach black students to resent whites, and feel oppressed, rather than teaching them basic academics so they can get a job?

Sorry, but teaching about the Tulsa Massacre isn’t the most important thing. The most important thing is to teach kids skills and knowledge that will enable them to work, or to compete for a college seat.
This is what schools should be doing instead of being indoctrination centers. I'm starting my 40th year in the classroom and can't believe the B.S. being added to curriculums that have nothing to do with becoming employable.

Will black youths be more successful in the work environment when they have been taught resentment towards the largest racial group in the country in place of math and Language Arts skills?

I think not! Instead, they will have learned "dependence".

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-04-2021 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Punctuation repair

Old 07-04-2021, 12:40 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Did you read my post? Because you surely quoted it. I guess you aren't into reading comprehension. This is what it said: Look I don't even know what "critical race theory" is.

I didn't pile on with abject nonsense that "reveals" anything. I came right out and said it. I also know that many people on here shrieking about it, have no clue what it means either. That's evident by the canned internet posting they do.

My whole point is that there's room for improvement in the education system which slants things to the way it wants. Different slants in different states. Depends on where you are raised. Lots of omissions in history courses on actions that depict our founders as perfect. Slavery was sure touched on when I went to school but it was also tamped down with the usual "but most slaves were happy with their lot" nonsense. The OP is correct that there's lots of other negative stuff out there, not taught, but should be, and I certainly agree with that.
my bad.
regardless, you still felt obligated to chime in with abject nonsense, despite self-admitting your ignorance on the topic

Old 07-04-2021, 12:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

How do you know many are when you just said you don't understand it?

Quote:
"usual most slaves were happy" lol This is made up.

We know 2 things about you now. You don't know what CRT is and you are horrible when it comes to history.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How do you know many are when you just said you don't understand it?

"usual most slaves were happy" lol This is made up.

We know 2 things about you now. You don't know what CRT is and you are horrible when it comes to history.
I have spent enough time here on this board watching people spout off canned propaganda from Twitter and other areas of the internet acting like they know all about something rather than admit they don't know anything and forwarding soundbites and the talking point of the day. When you see the same words/sentences parroted by the usual people around here, you know they went through their social media accounts, got all fired up, and decided to come here loaded for bear.

I admit that I'm horrible with history. But don't dare tell me what my experiences were in public school. I had a very "Disney-fied" image of slavery taught to me back in the 1970s and it was ALL about the content slave who knew his place.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:31 PM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Just when you think the divisive, racist liberals can’t get any worse, you wake up the next morning.

Now we have the governor labeling all teachers racist until and unless they are turned into “allies,” which means submitting to the horrible CRT indoctrination that teaches, among other things, that our country has laws set up to ensure the continuation of a “white supremacist” nation. Until all teachers go along with this horrid lie, they will be vilified, demonized, and ostracized.

And because some blacks are starting to object to CRT, the governor is also labeling non-compliant blacks “racist” as well.

https://whataretheylearning.com/detail/7/
If the governor wants to push a systemic racist and irredeemably evil teaching upon the children, maybe they should turn it back on him. The teachers could tell him that he is the governor over a system that he declares racist and that is what they will teach the children, and make him the poster boy of their teaching.

Then the teachers can ask him how much time does he want them to spend teaching the children how irredeemably evil and racist he is. They could even tell the children that they can get an A, if they all send him letters telling him what a horrible evil and systemically racist he is.

The governor assumes goodness upon himself, while pointing the evil finger at everyone else.

He wants to make it personal for the teachers and children, then they should make it personal for him and turn it all back on him, and give him what he asks for.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:14 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Remember when it was discovered that Northam once wore blackface yet the democrats and media prevented him from being cancelled? Good times.
You beat me to it. I was just going to point that out. He has no business calling anyone "racist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies