Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 11:01 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Knowing that many around the world do not have freedom. We should cherish it. I have talked to many who lived in countries they have escaped from and love our country with a more deep passion than many Americans. Most Americans never witnessed true oppression and had to live in fear all the time.. this is why many want to come here.

We are a beacon of freedom and freedom is not free. We have many who lost their lives to maintain that freedom and we should remember those who gave all to keep us free.

God has blessed America is a very short time. With freedom , we have the ability to create just as our creator has done.

We have developed rapidly and many are not even thankful for the freedoms they possess. As Reagan said. We are one generation from losing our freedom . That is so true. We owe our nation a debt of gratitude for having individual rights, freedom of speech and have a say in our elections.

Morally we have fallen and I hope our blessing on this nation is not removed. I pray for our country as I know full well we have freedom but it has to be fought for to keep it. Freedom is never free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 11:01 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So. How about we start a list of things that show a person's patriotism? Everyone add to it, if you can think of things.

1. A spoken love for the country, and allegiance.

2. An interest in US history.

3. Support of our National and State Parks and spending time in them.

4. A knowledge of the constitution.

5. A love for fellow citizens, and a willingness to work together toward a common goal of a strong nation that endures for hundreds more years.

6. Consistently voting from a position of knowledge about the candidates and issues in both local and national elections.

7. Willingness to serve on a jury.
All great things.

I would add -

8. A belief in core American values that made this country great. Examples -
- Individualism.
- Equality of opportunity
- Informality. (We don't bend the knee to those of another station in life)
- Achievement, Action, Work, and Materialism.
- Freedom
- Practicality

9. Military service
10. Not only knowledge of the constitution but a love of it.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:07 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
All great things.

I would add -

8. A belief in core American values that made this country great. Examples -
- Individualism.
- Equality of opportunity
- Informality. (We don't bend the knee to those of another station in life)
- Achievement, Action, Work, and Materialism.
- Freedom
- Practicality

9. Military service
10. Not only knowledge of the constitution but a love of it.
well said.

Just want to add

It starts with the observation that the United States has afforded me incredible opportunity. The opportunity to build a business, the opportunity to be safe with a stable rule of law, the opportunity to practice whatever faith I choose (or don’t choose), the freedom to read and learn without censor, the freedom to contribute to the nation in whatever ways I find best suited for my strengths.

The United States is a global epicenter of innovation, harboring many of the most ground breaking technologies that are re-writing the future of the globe.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:17 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
I certainly try to be patriotic, though I honestly don't feel a kinship with probably the majority of citizens.

Speaking as a descendant of Americans who predate the Revolution, I feel we have given the privilege of being American to far too many people that don't truly appreciate it. They dont respect the legacy of this country and her forbearers; the people that were here before them. It's my opinion that simply being born here doesn't make you as American as someone with more history here. Only on paper.

Fortunately I'm young enough that I may get to see this country become something better than it's ever been.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:36 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
So. How about we start a list of things that show a person's patriotism? Everyone add to it, if you can think of things.

1. A spoken love for the country, and allegiance.

2. An interest in US history.

3. Support of our National and State Parks and spending time in them.

4. A knowledge of the constitution.

5. A love for fellow citizens, and a willingness to work together toward a common goal of a strong nation that endures for hundreds more years.

6. Consistently voting from a position of knowledge about the candidates and issues in both local and national elections.

7. Willingness to serve on a jury.
e.g. always wanting their fellow countryman not to be killed in any war...

Old 07-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,588 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I certainly try to be patriotic, though I honestly don't feel a kinship with probably the majority of citizens.

Speaking as a descendant of Americans who predate the Revolution, I feel we have given the privilege of being American to far too many people that don't truly appreciate it. They dont respect the legacy of this country and her forbearers; the people that were here before them. It's my opinion that simply being born here doesn't make you as American as someone with more history here. Only on paper.

Fortunately I'm young enough that I may get to see this country become something better than it's ever been.
I'm uncomfortable with people taking credit for the work of their ancestors. It's one thing to be proud of them and feel blessed to be in their legacy; what makes me uncomfortable is saying because my great great great great grandfather was here and yours wasn't, I deserve citizenship and you don't. Through no effort or excellent qualities of your own.

Regardless of the individual contribution of the current US Citizens. And IMHO, that kind of entitled resentfulness by the descendants of the ruling class is likely to kill us as a nation.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-04-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-04-2021, 12:11 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
No different from patriotism in other countries. The most basic patriotism is recognizing one's own country as a sovereign indivisible unit. That means protecting our territory: no talk of secession and no open borders. This is fundamental and cannot be compromised.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
My family's doctor said the same thing about the Covid shot. He told me it's all BS and that the shot is nothing more than a B12 booster.
You should get a different doctor. One that follows the scientific evidence.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

As a counterpoint to your ancestors: All 4 of my grandparents had the foresight and courage to come to this country during the Ellis Island years (early 1900s). They came for a better life and worked for it. My parents worked for it. And I, my child and grandchildren have benefitted immensely. For that, I am grateful and patriotic.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:11 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
I'm uncomfortable with people taking credit for the work of their ancestors. It's one thing to be proud of them and feel blessed to be in their legacy; what makes me uncomfortable is saying because my great great great great grandfather was here and yours wasn't, I deserve citizenship and you don't. Through no effort or excellent qualities of your own.

Regardless of the individual contribution of the current US Citizens. And IMHO, that kind of entitled resentfulness by the descendants of the ruling class is likely to kill us as a nation.

I agree. I have a lot of ancestors who came here at different times--some came in the 1600's from England. Some came in the 1700's from England. Some came from Ireland and Germany and England in the 1800's. And a few more came from England in the 1900's. But as far as I'm concerned, an immigrant who came to this country and got their citizenship just last month is every much of an American as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies