Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 06:54 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times

Advertisements

I was taught that pride is equivalent to conceit and narcissism.

It is an interesting word choice, and today of all days we are reminded to be proud of our country. Like a parent is proud of their child (though not all).

What does a country owe you? Is it not arrogant to say you have pride in something, as if the country cares what you think? Isn't that the height of egoism?

If I become an emperor one day, I will be sure to give my opinion on the matter, elsewise I will stay silent.

Hypothetically though, if I could think of anything to be proud of, it would be the school system. I learned so much.

The thing I am least prideful for is the BBQ. American can't grill a steak to save their lives, and I don't want to pretend to be enjoying this stuff to please my host ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 07:00 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,826 times
America was and still is a place where EVERYONE without physical disability has the FREEDOM to WORK HARD and ACHIEVE the quality of life they desire.

Hard working Americans sacrificed and because of their blood, sweat and tears we have this FREEDOM.

Democrats will probably eventually take this freedom away, but we should cherish and celebrate this for as long as we can.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
America was and still is a place where EVERYONE without physical disability has the FREEDOM to WORK HARD and ACHIEVE the quality of life they desire.

Hard working Americans sacrificed and because of their blood, sweat and tears we have this FREEDOM.

Democrats will probably eventually take this freedom away, but we should cherish and celebrate this for as long as we can.
What if I don't want to work hard, do I still get freedom?

Old 07-04-2021, 07:07 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What if I don't want to work hard, do I still get freedom?
You’re still free, but your choices will be limited if you are lazy.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,378 times
I mean...you don't necessarily have to be a Jingoist who thinks America is flawless.

But, at the very least, you should be grateful for being able to take advantage of the limitless opportunities and resources available such as business opportunities, educational services, civil liberties, democratic voting processes, job markets, and constitutional rights that come with the package of being or becoming a U.S. citizen.

Many Nigerians, Cambodians, Libyans, and Guatemalans are proud of their countries despite numerous flaws with their governments and societies. So, I don't see why America having some flaws should stop people from being proud of their country. People just don't know how good we have it here. Even the DNC here is moderate compared to most Leftist governments overseas....let that sink in.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:17 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
These days, I have no pride whatsoever in what America has become. In fact, I'm ashamed and embarrassed more than anything.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:20 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
If I weren’t proud to be American, I would move to another country that I was proud of.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:46 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
These days, I have no pride whatsoever in what America has become. In fact, I'm ashamed and embarrassed more than anything.
America in 2021 >>>>> the vast majority of countries in the world in 2021. We're not perfect but we still have too many positive attributes to ignore.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What does a country owe you? Is it not arrogant to say you have pride in something, as if the country cares what you think? Isn't that the height of egoism? ..................
America doesn't owe me anything. It merely gave me the opportunity to live my life as I saw fit. That, by itself, gives me much pride in being a $10 American. Not born here, but very, very, very thankful that this country allowed me and my family to become American's without being born here.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...enated_am.html

Short version......long version on request.

Last edited by 509; 07-04-2021 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-04-2021, 07:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
I live here more by birth than choice. I never had the budget to fly around the world. I don't have pride in anything, but I like our democracy, which reduces the frequency of civil war, violent coups, and similar turbulence. This is still an empire in terminal decline. It is starting to eat itself as it becomes unable to extract and extort wealth from other nations. We will have more turbulence as the empire dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies