Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 07:34 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Actually it's not important at all. You know what is important? Understanding political process. Knowing how to build consensus. Being willing to sit for hours in a committee meeting to hear out the needs of the citizens whom you serve and be a good steward of their tax money. Acting on the behalf of people who might not entirely share your values but deserve to be treated respectfully and in good faith.

It's not sexy, it's not flashy, it's not needlessly antagonizing your political opponents or those with an opposing view and it's not showboating. To date I've not seen any evidence Lake knows or cares about any of the points I've outlined. A skill set of reading a TelePrompter for a living and using that learned and acquired skill as a self promotion vehicle under the ruse of seeking public service makes for the worst kind of candidate. I'd like to see Lake serve on a land use board, a utility commission, maybe an educational district to learn if she's behaviorally capable of public service because right now based on her tenure and departure as a television performer and her seeming habit of being more loud than thoughtful it's not exactly the kind of resume you should be looking for when seeking an executive to run a multi-million dollar enterprise with thousands of employees.
Many people who seem to understand the political process are lawyer types who sell themselves out to outside entities - so I'm not overly concerned about being able to sit through committee hearings. Give me someone with their heart in the right direction who primary goal is to serve the constituents in the district.

I am not endorsing her one way or the other - I am just saying potential is there.

Kinda surprised at the pushback on this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 07:53 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Taratova - I get where you are coming from and why I believe in term limits but few in office would go for that because they have too much to lose. I don't know anything about this candidate because I'm not from AZ and the reporter did a carpy job of interviewing her to establish her real intentions and hopes of what she wants to accomplish.

I would still rather vote for an unknown with no political experience than I would a career politician. If we don't like how they serve the people in their 4 yr seat - then we elect someone else. I've voted outside party lines for such people starting with Perot, Ron Paul, and Trump. I actually thought Trump was a joke until I sat and listened to what he had to say and yes I'm a Trumper - despite his lack of political finesse - I think he did an excellent job as President. Even within his own party - he was an outsider which was demonstrated by McConnell and others.
Good summary.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:54 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Many people who seem to understand the political process are lawyer types who sell themselves out to outside entities - so I'm not overly concerned about being able to sit through committee hearings. Give me someone with their heart in the right direction who primary goal is to serve the constituents in the district.

I am not endorsing her one way or the other - I am just saying potential is there.

Kinda surprised at the pushback on this...
Here's your pushback... you seem critical of lawyer types being responsible for enacting laws. What next? plumbers that shouldn't be the one's to mess with the pipes in your house? Let the electricians do it because they talk a good game and their hearts are in the right place?

Listen, I don't have a problem with someone other than a lawyer entering politics but it needs to be coupled with some demonstrable ability to work with people and manage initiatives. As someone who lives in Arizona and is familiar with Lake I can only say from what I've seen she's loud, shallow and of questionable skills outside staring at a TV camera lens.

Personally I believe the citizens of Arizona should expect more than that in their state chief executive.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
This is like watching one side of the idiocracy argue with another. Neither Trump nor the MSM has much interest in the truth. Would have as much substance if they just starting hitting each other with folding chairs.
She doesn't and hasn't. During the #RedForEd protests three years ago she was saying it should have been green for Ed, pushing for marijuana. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...g-pot-10367493 she has also tweeted Covid-19 conspiracy theories. https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/304479...mpression=true Dr. Erickson mind you was among the doctors with that bat-chit African doctor that claimed babies were possessed...

Old 07-06-2021, 02:22 PM

52,260 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Yeah, pretty uncomfortable stuff. LOL.

She's right, people see it, I don't really identify as conservative per se, some things I lean conservative other things more toward the liberal side, but she's right in her assessment of how the media treats conservatives or anyone not onboard with the lefty program.

Somewhere somehow the media turned into the propaganda arm for the left and the Dems. Large swaths of the media act more like propaganda distribution outlets than true investigative reporters.

If people can't see the bias, it's because they don't want to.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, pretty uncomfortable stuff. LOL.

She's right, people see it, I don't really identify as conservative per se, some things I lean conservative other things more toward the liberal side, but she's right in her assessment of how the media treats conservatives or anyone not onboard with the lefty program.

Somewhere somehow the media turned into the propaganda arm for the left and the Dems. Large swaths of the media act more like propaganda distribution outlets than true investigative reporters.

If people can't see the bias, it's because they don't want to.
I find this part of her argument amusing because she worked (before being let go/fired/contract not renewed depending on who you ask) at a FOX affiliate station in Phoenix generally regarded conservative in coverage and content.

She seems to be the personification of the old saying that if everyone around you is an *hole, maybe it's not them...

Old 07-06-2021, 03:54 PM

52,260 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
I find this part of her argument amusing because she worked (before being let go/fired/contract not renewed depending on who you ask) at a FOX affiliate station in Phoenix generally regarded conservative in coverage and content.

She seems to be the personification of the old saying that if everyone around you is an *hole, maybe it's not them...
News in general now seems to be catering to what their viewers want. CNN and MSNBC catering to the left leaning crowd and Fox and sites like Breitbart tend to lean to the conservative crowds.

I'm not really a fan of this, but seeing it and knowing that you now have to peruse more channels, websites etc etc to get a larger understanding seems to be the new norm, at least for me it is.

The vast majority of media outlets lean left, I don't know if someone can realistically doubt that, but some do I suppose.

Just scan news organization headlines and you can see the blatant biases, I realize most of this is ad revenue and click generation based anymore, but it's still out there.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
News in general now seems to be catering to what their viewers want. CNN and MSNBC catering to the left leaning crowd and Fox and sites like Breitbart tend to lean to the conservative crowds.

I'm not really a fan of this, but seeing it and knowing that you now have to peruse more channels, websites etc etc to get a larger understanding seems to be the new norm, at least for me it is.

The vast majority of media outlets lean left, I don't know if someone can realistically doubt that, but some do I suppose.

Just scan news organization headlines and you can see the blatant biases, I realize most of this is ad revenue and click generation based anymore, but it's still out there.
You may be right but it's not an argument Lake has any business making regarding her professional treatment. She got bumped from a conservative television station not because she was conservative, but because her performance and value to the company waned. If that's the platform she wants to build her gubernatorial candidacy on, it's her right. If it doesn't work out for her then she already has one more excuse waiting in the wings. Sound familiar?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:05 AM

Watching the video, Kari Lake is seeming playing the media for what Fox and the rest of the conservative sphere think they are. I am not sure who this guy is, nor do I know who he is to confirm who Dennis is to be critical on if he's fair or not fair. It sounds like Kari knew it would be a hit piece and because she took it that way, I think it went that way.

That said I do agree about her being a conservative despite voting Obama and her family's money going to Obama. She still is a talking point Republican with a number of conspiracy theories. She sounds like a stereotypical conservative that thinks they red-pilled but really blue-pilled.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Yep now she is saying the media lies. She said it herself in a piece that aired on ABC15 just last night during the 5 o'clock news. My question, so are we to act stupid and forget she was in the media when she was with Fox10? Maybe that Fox affiliates are somehow not a part of the media despite being media itself? Perhaps it is all news is the media but her for some reason. This all could be but I still cannot forget that she has lied especially with her "GreenForEd" gaffe. How she has any credibility with "the media lies" comment is beyond me except if it is red meat to the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies