Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 04:25 PM

6,641 posts, read 2,956,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It’s no more gross a generalization to say that Asian Americans “don’t need to be coddled”, “have hard work ethic”, etc. The generalizations, however true they may be or not. cut both ways. People who fall back on the “model minority” status of Asian Americans are using them simply to opine about a supposed moral decadence of white Americans or degrade other minority groups.

I graduated university in 2015 magna *** laude with an engineering degree from a “Public Ivy”, so my generalizations are hardly outdated. F——d up as it is, I notice a distinct preference for white Americans in many professional workforces. Hiring managers of, shall I say, an “ethnocentric” slant tend to assume Asian Americans are only good on paper and that black and brown Americans are only there because affirmative action.
I agree the model minority thing is just a cringe tool to politicize for whatever side feels like it at the time.
Whataboutism is a thing.

I'd say any slant( no pun intended!) towards ethno-anything varies from industry to industry.

I am in a creative industry. Commercial,film, advertising. It's a mixed bag. It's quite noticeable, partly due to being in NYC, which has a huge amount of everything. Tons of asians get into this field. It's one of the few that don't necessarily require a 100% grasp of English even. The proof is in the work.

HEck , I was a solid B student. Hate math. But I was artistic and found my way into this field and doing very well. No way I'd qualify for those Ivy schools. It's not about a diploma in this industry..it's about a portfolio.

Life is gonna throw things at you no matter what. Even artificial quotas. The ones who succeed are the ones who keep their eyes forward and figure it out despite all that, While others are patting themselves on the back for defining their way into social points. Hint: social points won't put gas in your car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 04:34 PM

6,641 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post

There are families having more social within their own group and it has nothing wrong.
Oh totally. Just because you don't see Asians hitting the bars every night doesn't mean they aren't doing anything,..lol. My Philippine friends are notorious for their cookouts!
Koreans are some of the most social people I've seen here. Awesome restaurants .

I'd see the Chinese take over parks with their parties.

I mean,.maybe I wouldn't expect this in some remote State, but where I am it's the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Sadly, high achievers are not the flavor of the month these days and that to me is simply unacceptable.

When this nation stops honoring and acknowledging achievement, we are in trouble!
This goes for non-Asians too. Just the scholarly types. It's like a bootstrap effect.

They are into books and studying. So they don't get invited to parties.
So they have more time to fill. So they study more. Or do more brainy fun activities.
etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
The kids NEVER come out of the house.
I bet it's worse now. With the internet and all the online gaming. It's so easy to just disappear into the web.
Doesn't mean they are socially awkward because they study too much. Just means they play too many games,..lol.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:57 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
We're down in Texas ourselves but our niece is in another state, I was making a more general remark about the huge change in admissions and scholarships for Texas schools that strongly disfavor white applicants, but it's happening nationwide. And in fact she had straight A's in the highest level classes she could take, not even an A-, several AP college level classes and finished top of her class--she doesn't go to a huge school but it's not a small one either, so while they may not have had the same number of college level classes as the big urban schools in places like Kansas City or Dallas, she took every one that she could and even enrolled in some classes at the closest community college, where she had top scores. (Helps that she avoided the dyslexia the rest of the family has, she's just brilliant, a day-care teacher said she was a child prodigy reading at age 1 or 2).

Top standardized test performance, that seems it was ignored as even the Ivy League schools are doing now-- huge contributions to the community and just brilliant performance in several activities, again not the toe dipping or smattering that some students do but professional level performance that she's been training for since she was in early grade school. I only bring that up to make the point there's nothing more she could of humanly done to make her application stronger, but she was still rejected for not only admissions at the top schools but also scholarships everywhere she applied. One of our twice-removed cousins a couple states over dealing with the same thing, he's also a top performer since early grade school but rejected nearly everywhere, and no scholarships even though he and our niece don't come from rich families. And it isn't just a higher performance against other students, when you look at their performance against other white students two decades ago, students back then with much weaker scores and performance got top admissions and scholarships-- there's been a huge change in the past few years where there's been an institutionalization of disfavoring white applicants in America for everything (including job applicants, business loans, scholarships). Like I said being white, Christian and heterosexual in the USA means huge strikes against you when applying for anything these days.
Laughably false. UT admissions practices were aired out in front of the whole country in a Supreme Court case only a few years ago. They found that admissions on a “holistic” basis for those not automatically admitted via the top x% law were actually disproportionately white. As a white boy who could only afford UT because of full tuition scholarships, it was a highly relevant case to me that I kept up closely with. If I had been a couple years older, I would have gotten a full ride.

What’s happening is that your niece, believe it or not, probably doesn’t stand out in applications to “name brand” universities because the competition is continually getting more fierce. Many kids these days have been coached by their parents for college applications from birth basically. When Ivy Leagues get 20x more applications than there are positions, when state flagships get 5-10x more applications than available positions, and most of those applications are academically competent enough to complete the coursework, the selection process becomes increasingly arbitrary and more about “intangibles”. Top scores and grades are the minimum required to get a second glance.

What you’re noticing isn’t discrimination against white people, Christians, or heterosexuals. What you’re noticing is that the bar to be considered worthy of financial stability in America is being raised to truly unreasonable levels by dumb old cranks that couldn’t cut it in their children’s/grandchildren’s world.

Last edited by Westerner92; 07-07-2021 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 05:07 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Laughably false. UT admissions practices were aired out in front of the whole country in a Supreme Court case only a few years ago. They found that admissions on a “holistic” basis for those not automatically admitted via the top x% law were actually disproportionately white. As a white boy going who could only afford UT because of full tuition scholarships, it was a highly relevant case to me that I kept up closely with. If I had been a couple years older, I would have gotten a full ride.

What’s happening is that your niece, believe it or not, probably doesn’t stand out in applications to “name brand” universities because the competition is continually getting more fierce. Many kids these days have been coached by their parents for college applications from birth basically. When Ivy Leagues get 20x more applications than there are positions, when state flagships get 5-10x more applications than available positions, and most of those applications are academically competent enough to complete the coursework, the selection process becomes increasingly arbitrary and more about “intangibles”. Top scores and grades are the minimum required to get a second glance.

What you’re noticing isn’t discrimination against white people, Christians, or heterosexuals. What you’re noticing is that the bar to be considered worthy of financial stability in America is being raised to truly unreasonable levels by dumb old cranks that couldn’t cut it in their children’s/grandchildren’s world.
Does the fact that foreign students generate more revenue for the university also come into play?

Old 07-07-2021, 05:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Does the fact that foreign students generate more revenue for the university also come into play?
I know that’s a big issue in Canadian and Australian universities (studied abroad at the University of Melbourne myself), but international students pay the same tuition as out-of-state students, and admissions are highly regulated in Texas to prioritize residents.International students only make up 1.6% of admitted freshman, and out-of-state students only make up 6.4% of freshman.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:48 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
I know that’s a big issue in Canadian and Australian universities (studied abroad at the University of Melbourne myself), but international students pay the same tuition as out-of-state students, and admissions are highly regulated in Texas to prioritize residents.International students only make up 1.6% of admitted freshman, and out-of-state students only make up 6.4% of freshman.
That’s interesting. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2021, 06:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There is a little envy, that's true.

And that's what you're seeing in this article. People in the community who are watching all the awards go to a specific demographic, I'll admit that.

BUT. I served on scholarship committees, and know the students. I'm not talking about people I "don't know". I'm talking about people I DO know.

And awarding students for things like leadership and innovative creativity instead of test taking ability makes for a more diverse student group. Because ability to correctly spit back information given isn't all that makes for a successful adult.
"Diversity" is overrated. I attended college to learn the skills needed to succeed in the world. I joined a fraternity based on the students most like me. I am now 57 years old and still hang out with those guys.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:37 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
In other states (especially Iowa that I'm aware of) they use lots of Chinese students to keep the cost down for the residents.

The problem with flagship schools in some states is that they have a constant supply of applicants. Thus they basically act like the only girl on the aircraft carrier if you catch my drift.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:34 AM

447 posts, read 321,761 times
The tuition fee policy basically is not fair at all.

Everyone is an independent individual by the time they go to uni, so how can schools use parents' income to decide who don't need to pay and who should pay in full.

The system now punishes Asian children for their academic commitment and then punishes children whose parents work more hard.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 AM

464 posts, read 313,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Nobody becomes a surgeon who's not qualified, in the US.
Being the "best" and merely qualified are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies