Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 07:27 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Unfortunately, in the USAF, more and more liberals are starting to pop up. I still think conservatives still outnumber them, but it’s closer than it has ever been during my whole career.

I also agree that the vast majority of officers do keep their political affiliation to themselves, but if you read between the lines, it’s easy to figure out how they lean even if they don’t explicitly say one way or the other.

I also agree that most military members are young and enlisted and haven’t really formed an opinion yet.

And I also agree that politics aren’t talked about too much in the duty section, especially now that Trump is gone. Nobody says anything about Biden, it’s as if he doesn’t exist, to be honest.

Now if you want to talk about the professional class in the Pentagon, the career bureaucrats, the civilian brass, they are overwhelmingly liberal. They are so far in the tank for the Democrats, that it has rubbed off on the Generals that are appointed. Case in point, Milley. I could name dozens of generals who are all about the DNC.

There isn’t really anyway to purge them, either. That’s why Trump didn’t do it. He just had to sit there and take the criticism and try to fend off their political moves (Vindman) as best he could, with the help of the SECDEF(s) he appointed.

So I hate to disappoint anyone, but the military, like every other federal agency in DC, is in the bag for the Democrats.
Very interesting take.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Not a vet myself, but one of the things that most impresses me about our military is their professionalism. My impression is that the armed forces do not let their personal political views dictate their actions, but rather they have discipline to follow command structure and to keep personal politics to themselves. They take an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution, not any individual or party. So some on this forum who think that the army would take Trump's side in case of a conflict might be sorely disappointed.

As I said, just an outsider's impression.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:52 AM

35,666 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I retired Fed but was in daily contact with military folks. I’d say most came from conservative families and believe in that way of life- however politically, they were not happy with the past republican administration"

I am in just about the same boat as you and see just the OPPOSITE.
Well I will agree that maybe age might have been a factor. I was the elder compared to a younger group of military. But, many of the policies that came down the pipes were not received well. That was my experience.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:56 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
DH's flight squadron was socially very liberal, probably leaned more conservative overall, but if any supported Trump, they hid it, most did not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-07-2021, 08:31 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
We have communists who graduated West Point. Many have been indoctrinated already before they join the military. China knows times they are a changin.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:34 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
You often hear that the military members (and vets) are conservative in general. But how accurate is that?

I know two vets in our neighborhood- one is all over the place politically- saying he doesn't align to any party. He told me he was very conservative before going to the military but being an active marine in the Iraq post/911 war changed his opinion somewhat.
Then there is another guy that is a democrat (he's a black guy).

In your experience, or what you know, can you give a percentage of what you are familiar with in terms of the percentages of where the political lines form for active and retired members?

Then there is my FIL that is as red as they come.
Thanks
Most all are Constitutionalists, in that they believe in the Rights and freedoms within it. I know very few former military who are aligned with the ideology of the current Democratic Party leadership, i.e. neo-Marxist

Old 07-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Most all are Constitutionalists, in that they believe in the Rights and freedoms within it. I know very few former military who are aligned with the ideology of the current Democratic Party leadership, i.e. neo-Marxist
A lot of the leadership in the military is supporting things like race education and similar that the current Rep party is against.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:04 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
You often hear that the military members (and vets) are conservative in general. But how accurate is that?

I know two vets in our neighborhood- one is all over the place politically- saying he doesn't align to any party. He told me he was very conservative before going to the military but being an active marine in the Iraq post/911 war changed his opinion somewhat.
Then there is another guy that is a democrat (he's a black guy).

In your experience, or what you know, can you give a percentage of what you are familiar with in terms of the percentages of where the political lines form for active and retired members?

Then there is my FIL that is as red as they come.
Thanks
I know a lot of Marines (active duty or vets). Most of the Marines I know are enlisted combat Marines (many are special forces) I don't know ONE combat Marine who is a liberal / Democrat. I cannot speak for everybody else, I can only speak about the people I know.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

So Milley had a bunch to say to Congress. The Navy put out it's CNO reading list and the Republicans got mad because their is anti racist books and books on sexual minorities on the list, and the AF has said it supports teaching CRT.

So the military is sounding a little progressive, at least when compared to the current Rep party.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
After serving 8 years in the Navy, and associations with veterans of all services in the years since, I can only recall 1 sailor that I would classify as liberal among the enlisted.

Officers, it depends on whether they're a working or command officer, or a political desk jockey that happens to wear a uniform. The working officers are very conservative. Those that are only concerned about their careers or making that next promotion, they're actually pretty apolitical. They're like any other bureaucrat, they'll sing whatever tune gets them where they want to go.

Luckily those are mostly in Washington or desirable bases like Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Otherwise you don't see them unless they're trying to prove how commanding they are for their next performance review.
My Dad was career Navy. Mustang officer. Went in at 17 as a Seaman Recruit stayed in 25 years through Korea and most of Viet Nam. Solid red. The biggest share of my political stance came from my talking at length with him. I worked as a contractor type for 20 years for the Army and interacted with a lot of different military personnel. Ran into all the types you mentioned.

The most of the folks I interacted with were forward deployed types in for pre deployment training at the base I worked at. We had every type of terrain there is including water. These guys didn't talk politics and I never brought the subject up but if I had to take a SEWAG (Somewhat Educated Wild A$$ Guess) I'd say they leaned right quite a ways. The Teams ain't a conducive environment for a lefty sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies