Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
that's not what the left said and his lawsuit went forward and all the way.

The lawsuit was for collusion, not for the firing. He withdrew his case, and the NFL paid them 10M.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
and? he said more than that. That wasn't my point. Try again.
There's a whole article attached to that comment if you hit the link in my post.

But, I'm sure we will have to agree to disagree.

I stand with Kap on his right to protest and the fact that it is protected by the First Amendment.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-08-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-08-2021, 10:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I guess in a case like this they would have to prove unequal treatment of users which is just as much the issue as free speech.
I agree with that. But keep in mind that these private entities were dealing with the complication that Trump's Twitter feed had already been ruled part of his public record. So it's quite possible that, if not for that, they would have banned him much sooner than they did.

As far as the free speech issue goes, they got nothin'. Until SCOTUS rules that the obligation to not suppress free speech also applies to private entities. Which this SCOTUS certainly won't.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:02 AM

I thought Trump was going to start his own social media company.

Why doesn't he just go and do that?

Trump can have complete control of his own company...

That is, unless he posts things that are considered defamation, incitement, fighting words or true threats....

These are all things that the First Amendment DOESN'T protect. ^^^^

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-08-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2021, 10:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I thought Trump was going to start his own social media company. Why doesn't he just go and do that?
Too much work.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:05 AM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The lawsuit was for collusion, not for the firing. He withdrew his case, and the NFL paid them 10M.

collusion? you mean black balling? sounds very familiar. Yeah, that's call a settlement in civil cases. That's the goal in every lawsuit.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
NO he doesn't. He can't say the owner that pays him is a racist and not be fired. He doesn't have a right to be in the NFL. Clueless.
He didn't claim his employer was racist he was just protesting. The lawsuit was about NFL owners colluding to ban him because of his protests, there was no reason to fire him and then boycott his hiring.

The NFL owners settled the lawsuit, I don't see these social media companies doing the same over a toothless lawsuit. But the lawyers will certainly have a windfall. "Trump personally sues" LOL.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:10 AM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
There's a whole article attached to that comment if you hit the link.

But, I'm sure we will have to agree to disagree.

I stand with Kap on his right to protest and the fact that it is protected by the First Amendment.
You are more confused than a cockroach without antennas. Nobody arrested him or took away his right to protest or free speech, he keeps talking everyday. You don't have a right to protest in a private company and keep your job if they don't want you. You don't have a right to get a job in the NFL. See the difference?

Old 07-08-2021, 10:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The FCC oversees TV, Radio etc. I see no difference.
Then you haven’t considered this at any depth.

The FCC does not tell radio and TV what they must air, how they must present things, who can act on their shows, or which commercials they must accept.

The FCC does limit some types of profanity, which I personally disagree with, but does not otherwise get involved in content.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You are more confused than a cockroach without antennas. Nobody arrested him or took away his right to protest or free speech, he keeps talking everyday. You don't have a right to protest in a private company and keep your job if they don't want you. You don't have a right to get a job in the NFL. See the difference?
agree to disagree, respectfully...

Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies