Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:18 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times

Advertisements

Obviously. But it’s a complicated issue with lots of factors to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:14 AM

21,826 posts, read 9,386,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618;61406451[B
]If girls are growing up being told their primary purpose in life is being a submissive housewife, they aren't as likely to take education as seriously which has a snowball effect throughout their life.[/b]

It's a similar situation in the black community on a much larger scale. Because of the way our society is structured, certain people have built-in advantages over others.
This isn't 1950.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
There is no pay gap. Discrimination based on sex is illegal.

There are of course different pay outcomes based on many variables.

Freakonomics radio did a good podcast on this topic using a study from University of Chicago using Uber data as the study. A system where no one knows what sex their driver is going to be. It shows that nearly all of the income differential is due to choices by women, mostly where and when to work. Colour me surprised!

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/wha...ender-pay-gap/
I remember when the left was griping about how women made 71 cents on the dollar to men during the Obama administration. (That was a lie, btw) but and gap was proven to be because women worked fewer hours (taking care of kids, doctors, etc and women left the work force for years to raise kids). Then when it was shown that the women in the OBAMA WH made less than men, they said...you guessed it. It was because women worked fewer hours (taking care of kids, doctors, etc and women left the work force for years to raise kids).

I was once a member of a largely women made up forum and they were griping all the time about parents. This was a group who had chosen NOT to become parents. One day, a woman was griping about how some woman was not carrying her share at work because she was always talking to her kids, leaving early, etc. I asked if she would mind if the woman made the same money as she did. They all surrounded the wagons against me and one idiot said that EVERY SINGLE study adjusted for those things and that it was not true. You could google it and find in 3 seconds that that was entirely not true.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How common is that thinking towards girls nowadays? Haven't we moved away from that traditional submissive housewife era?
I would argue the problem now is the more submissive husband. (and I am a woman)

Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,592,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If girls are growing up being told their primary purpose in life is being a submissive housewife, they aren't as likely to take education as seriously which has a snowball effect throughout their life.

It's a similar situation in the black community on a much larger scale. Because of the way our society is structured, certain people have built-in advantages over others.

as muhamed ali once said "white cake is angel food, black cake is devils food"

Old 07-08-2021, 11:34 AM

24,449 posts, read 9,308,729 times
I don’t have a problem with feminism, but yes, I do enjoy the irony of many feminists willing choosing low paying jobs and majors instead of the “hard technical” ones usually chosen by men.

I also enjoy the irony of feminists still requiring the man to initiate a date, keep the conversation going, pay the dinner date bill, drive the female home, and ofcourse read her mind to know if she actually wants to sleep with him or if she doesn’t want to talk to him ever again.

You gotta’ love “equality.”

Old 07-08-2021, 11:39 AM

23,832 posts, read 14,963,353 times
Why are the choices available to women many times lower paying?

Old 07-08-2021, 11:56 AM

9,427 posts, read 4,278,069 times
There is no gender pay gap. It's been debunked repeatedly - I don't know why people continue to obsess over it.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,331 posts, read 80,658,912 times
If a man and a woman with the same level of education and experience are doing the same job in the same company and the man makes more than the woman, there could be discrimination. The general idea that "women make 17.7% less than men" is overall. That is influenced by unpaid time off for having kids, and their choices in college majors and jobs. Most women will take more than just the federal/state required paid time off for parental leave, in fact many will take several years off, as did my wife, and more recently my daughter.
Currently my boss is a woman and makes the same as other male directors, but has been there 28 years and has only one daughter age 26 now. Where you se the man making more for the same job it's most often because he has been there longer, and has gotten annual increases for more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies