Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
the unemployment rate has risen slightly 2x already under Biden
Wrong.

6.8% (Jan), 6.6% (Feb), 6.2% (Mar), 5.7% (Apr), 5.5% (May) and 6.1% (Jun).

That's once, not twice. Please learn how to count.

Now, having said that, who on this forum would like to know why the UE Rate increased in June?

Not in Labor Force

Jan: 101,618,000
Feb: 100,910,000
Mar: 100,606,000
Apr: 100,723,000
May: 100,603,00
Jun: 99,172,000

Get it?

Oh, wait, no, you won't get it because you don't know what you're talking about.

The UE Rate is a function of the Labor Force. The Labor Force consists of people who are employed, and those who are not employed.

People leave the work-force sometimes permanently, sometimes for the long-run and sometimes for the short-run for any number of valid reasons: retirement, education, home care, terminated, incarcerated, in hospital, disabled, etc etc.

People also enter and re-enter the work-force: First time job seekers, returning workers, re-entering workers, and transitioning workers etc etc.

Some people would prefer to sit out of a bad job market.

Guess what? The job market is better so those people re-entered the work-force and then what happened in May?

A whole bunch of college and high school students were graduated and they entered the work-force in June.

How can you not know that?

What planet are you from?

Not everyone who entered/re-entered the work-force in June got a job, but they probably got a job now and we'll find out next month how many actually did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Biden's damage will last a while.

America is warned to brace for up to four YEARS of rising inflation

"A new Bank of America report predicts consumer prices will continue to soar for up to four years"
Great. Another know-it-all who doesn't understand the difference between Demand-pull Inflation and Monetary Inflation.

BoA is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The Trump economy was not doing much before the pandemic. GDP was only at 2.4% in 4th quarter 2019.
In a mature advanced 4th Level Economy, 2.4% GDP growth is above-average.

Only 2nd Level Economies grow at rates of 8%-15% per quarter, quarter-after-quarter, year-after-year for 10-15 years.

3rd Level Economies grow slower at rates of 4%-8% per quarter.

4th Level Economies grow slower still. 1%-3% maybe 3.5% is good.

If you studied Economics, you'd know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 02:40 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
The Federal Reserve probably has a greater effect on the economy than any president. Blame or credit Jerome Powell for the state of the economy.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, like the deficit spending and monetary insanity just started. Lol

984 trillion dollar debt in 2019 and I did hear Rand Paul complain about it. Didn't hear Trump complain. Didn't see Trumpies on this forum making a big deal of it. They were more concerned about the persecution of Karens.
his initial 2019 budget proposal, per the Hill:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...es-2019-budget

Quote:
It includes proposals to cut deficits by more than $3 trillion over a decade and lower debt levels as a percentage of the gross domestic product, but does not balance by doing away with annual deficits.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:40 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Another nail in the coffin of the Biden recovery. It's bad news after bad news with the Biden administration. Biden's policies are failing America.

U.S. weekly jobless claims unexpectedly rise to 373,000, as job growth slows

"Initial filings for unemployment insurance unexpectedly rose last week, a possible hint that the job growth could face hurdles in the months ahead, the Labor Department reported Thursday."
Actually the market is at an all-time high. That being said, I have no idea why that's so. The economy has been broken for years.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump crashed the economy. It's going to take years to get back to where things were in 2016, let alone 2019.

Elect a Republican and you are guaranteed 3-5 years of economic misery.
America LOVES Trump! Stop the Liberal LIES. Biden is destroying this country, one illegal immigrant at a time.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:54 PM

Default 2'11

Quote:
The economy is like a massive ocean liner and it takes time for it to turn a corner.

Everything now is still Trump's economy, whether you want to believe it or not. Trump crashed the economy, as Republicans always do like clockwork, and now the country is going to have to suffer. Things will turn a corner in 2023 or 2024. That's how economic cycles work. The country isn't going to come back from a recession this severe overnight. This makes 2008 look like a cakewalk.

If anything, I blame Millennials for staying home and not voting for Hillary in 2016. Obama left this country in a great, strong position with a booming economy. After four years of Trump and the damage he inflicted, we're screwed.
by your own statements, you have zero knowledge of economics.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GDPC1/

during the '08 recession, GDP dipped 3.9% until bottoming out in Q2'09. It took 2 years to recover that 3.9% dip - Q211.

At the peak - Q4'19 (9/30/19) - GDP was $19,254B. After Q1'21 (that's 12/31/20) it's back to $19,086.4B. That's a total dip of 0.9%.

Or are you attempting to say IF the economic woes come now - while we were growing again under Trump - then it's still "Trump's fault"?

Old 07-09-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Good lord, what an utterly absurd viewpoint to the extreme maxed out. Instead, it's the Republicans who are greatly elated and hope that it continues ALL through 2022, so they can reclaim the house and senate.
I never root for economic woes for my fellow Americans. I'd like to think the dramatic shift left of Congress, and some WH measures like the border fiasco, will be enough for folks to want to vote for change.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Trump crashed the economy. It's going to take years to get back to where things were in 2016, let alone 2019.

Elect a Republican and you are guaranteed 3-5 years of economic misery.
Please at least be even a bit intellectually honest. Unbelievable. Trump had the lowest unemployment and a hopping economy, energy independence, etc. China and their virus screwed that up. Had zero to do with Trump. Biden’s fight against oil, his reckless spending, and the perception of being incompetent are ruining tech economy just as it tries to recover from COVID.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It slowed for one data point, the overall trend has been down. This could change in the future but looking at an increase from 371k -> 373k and declaring doom is just stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
the unemployment rate has risen slightly 2x already under Biden
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
... and the unemployment rate has gone down under Biden.

See how that works? It's funny to watch extremely biased politically driven folks latching onto whatever measures they think makes their team look good and the other team look bad.
I was responding to "slowed for one data point". It's not just one data point (new claims).

If I were to be "extremely biased politically driven" then I would use silly names and pejoratives about elected leaders. Or, I might say "Oh yes - this is a horrible figure!" Neither of which you will find I've done. Or, I would never link data sources, which I do.

You are correct - the "general trend" of Feb - June unemployment is down. From Jan 6.3% (if Biden somehow gets credit for a week on the job) or Feb 6.2% down to 5.9% at end of June.

with all the vaccines, all the reopenings, etc - unemployment is down 0.3-0.4%.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:16 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Actually the market is at an all-time high. That being said, I have no idea why that's so. The economy has been broken for years.
Stock market will go higher with free money everywhere.

I'm talking about main street, not wall street.

This is going south real fast for the average male and female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies