Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:53 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater
Great Recession and forced austerity for no reason held back an entire generation economically for at least 5-10 years. No president of any political party will try forced austerity again as no one cares about deficits anymore.
History says you will be wrong. There has never been a time in history when the excesses of currency debasement and reckless spending were not forcefully addressed. When the time comes - it is going to be ugly on a global scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 08:56 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
what is "forced austerity"?
I have to explain this to you? Forced austerity meant reigning in government spending (concerning ourselves with Federal Deficits) to keep the powers that be satisfied. This resulted in less federal spending to help recover from the Great Recession, meaning it took far longer for unemployment rates to decline and smaller businesses to recover that employ the majority of the workers as a result of said policies.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wrong, it will be certain southern states with low vaccination rates that will hold themselves back economically due to low vaccination rates and increase cases already occurring due to the Delta variant.
Southern states did not and will not lock down. No rona spike will effect the southern economy in any way. We ain’t California

Old 07-08-2021, 08:59 AM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please, Trump complained about the second stimulus not being enough. It probably cost the Republicans the Senate. Only Mitch temporarily restrained the second stimulus.
I see you've taken a break from looking out the window at the pretty rainbows and unicorns prancing playfully in the lush green fields to double down on denying reality. Biden's economy is a complete disaster and is going to get much, much worse. My sister, who is very liberal, very anti-Trump, and has always voted Democrat, declared that if Biden doesn't stop this craziness she will vote for a Republican in the next election. Anyone with the slightest understanding of how the economy works knows where this Biden dumpster fire is headed. Let me help: Google "Venezuela". You're welcome.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
History says you will be wrong. There has never been a time in history when the excesses of currency debasement and reckless spending were not forcefully addressed. When the time comes - it is going to be ugly on a global scale.
Not disagreeing, however, neither political party cares about deficits anymore because to actually address the core root of the problem what be too politically unpopular. People aren't going to have the patience to wait 3-5 years for the economy to recover fully like the Great Recession time period just because we now have to be concerned about "deficits."

Old 07-08-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Southern states did not and will not lock down. No rona spike will effect the southern economy in any way. We ain’t California
We'll see what happens by early next year in those areas with the ridiculously low vaccination rates of under 30% in many counties.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
How funny. When people were staying home voluntarily in droves they were hurting the economy.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I see you've taken a break from looking out the window at the pretty rainbows and unicorns prancing playfully in the lush green fields to double down on denying reality. Biden's economy is a complete disaster and is going to get much, much worse. My sister, who is very liberal, very anti-Trump, and has always voted Democrat, declared that if Biden doesn't stop this craziness she will vote for a Republican in the next election. Anyone with the slightest understanding of how the economy works knows where this Biden dumpster fire is headed. Let me help: Google "Venezuela". You're welcome.
Trump set it up. He destroyed the concept of fiscal responsibility and, yes, it will bite us in the ass. Take your partisan blinders off and look at the deficits run during the Trump administration. We get to venezuela when both parties embrace Fiscal irresponsible policies.

I didn't see ya crying about deficits until Biden got in office. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You need to wake up.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:31 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm middle class with lots of investments, so the performance of the stock market also matters a great deal to me. The working class continues to shrink because people are doing far better economically and moving up the ranks to middle class and upper middle class.
I will give you a second chance to address the fact you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The wealth divide widened under Obama/Biden, meaning the rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

That's reality.

the racial wealth divide in the latter half of the Obama presidency was the largest it’s been in the last 30 years

The Black-White Wealth Gap Has Widened Under Obama

Wealth inequality along racial, ethnic lines widened under Obama

Contrast that with how Trump did. The wealth gap closed under Trump. Lower income did better.

That's reality.

Wealth gap between America's richest and poorest shrinks under Trump

Wealth gap getting better under Trump

Poor doing better under Trump

Wealth gap shrinks under Trump

But hey, don't let statistics and facts get in the way of your politics.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You're even more delusional and dishonest than I thought. Trump helped create a wonderful economy where even Black Unemployment was at an historic LOW. So were Energy prices. Real wages were increasing for the first time in decades. Covid hurt the economy. Duh.
So did Herbert Hoover, the only other president since 1900 to mismanage the economy as bad as Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies