Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,067,752 times

Advertisements

Conservatives biggest fear: America no longer being a majority white nation.

I certainly hope all the far-right nutters out there in this country are still alive in 2041 to see it happen

Old 07-08-2021, 01:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,341,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There is no societal or political agreement to this. None whatsoever. Religion is a personal choice in the US. The idea of society being held together by the moral principles of a single religion was explicitly rejected by our nation’s founders.
Amen.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,386,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As a homosexual yourself, do you think Black Christian churches are in your corner?

Let's not get started on Islam, no need to,
Black Christians are still not very tolerant of gay people but they are not openly advocating for the replacement of democracy with Christian nationalism and that makes them clearly a bit more reasonable imo. They are not advocating for the removal of our constitutional system because they see it disfavoring them.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:28 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
It’s my business because they don’t confine the preaching to their churches. As we have noted, this thread is about a mainstream US political movement by the church to force public policy to continue to favor the principles of this community, and the majority of the country does not share their beliefs.
Thou shalt not kill... thou shalt not steal... thou shalt not covet... yeah, I can see as to where you folks might have a problem with such principles.

By the way, what the hell is "the church"? Are you simply lumping about a thousand different denominations into one "the church"?

Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As a homosexual yourself, do you think Black Christian churches are in your corner?

Let's not get started on Islam, no need to,
No, but they also tend to keep it in their churches instead of trying to impose it on the entire country.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,789,541 times
Quote:
There is no societal or political agreement to this. None whatsoever. Religion is a personal choice in the US. The idea of society being held together by the moral principles of a single religion was explicitly rejected by our nation’s founders.
I agree religion is a personal choice, and the state shouldn't have anything to do with religion. But if you have a critical mass of people practicing a religion freely--and that religion's pro-social values help to hold society together, that is a benefit to all. It doesn't matter what the religion is.

I didn't care about CRT until I realized that my personal anti-racism stance was branded racist by them. I believe that we should strive for color blindness, while acknowledging the reality of race as a fact of life. Race should be de-centered, not centered, in human interactions. People should be judged by their character, not their skin color. But suddenly, that philosophy wasn't okay. Equality got replaced with equity. This new ideology swept in, and it didn't have societal or political agreement. It came from above--academia, the media, the ruling class. Somehow it ended up in school curricula, with no input from me or anyone I know. That's why I got interested. It's divisive and corrosive to social cohesion to divide everyone up into victim and oppressor, and make it all about race.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:32 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,386,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thou shalt not kill... thou shalt not steal... thou shalt not covet... yeah, I can see as to where you folks might have a problem with such principles.

By the way, what the hell is "the church"? Are you simply lumping about a thousand different denominations into one "the church"?
I’m referring to those churches that have become increasingly political in nature, particularly the white evangelical church (and as noted previously, it’s really only some churches within that).

Also, the US economy would crash and fall apart if there was no coveting among the population.

11,404 posts, read 4,067,752 times
Quote:
Well said. You are correct.

However, most of the far-right conservatives would not agree. Christians who lean hard right politically believe that THEIR own personal religious beliefs and values (94% of registered republicans identify as Christian) should be the law of the land for EVERYBODY. Imagine being that arrogant and obnoxious.

Especially when it comes to abortion. Old, conservative men love passing laws that dictate what women can do with their bodies. It's their specialty.

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
I would say that participating Christians are already in the minority, with the largest percentage of people not participating in organized religion. The current trend is for the country to become a majority East Indian in many areas, and they are mostly Hinduism and Islam. It will take a long time, however. Here for example, it's now 37% Asian, mostly Indian people who are darker skinned than most African Americans. We have very few Hispanics, and no big immigration from Mexico or South America. In fact our farms on the eastern part of the state are begging for workers. Meanwhile the southern states and California are getting more and more of them, so in 50 years overall for the USA it could be close to 1/3 each (29%)Hispanic, Asian, and White, with African Americans remaining at about the current 13%. I won't be around then to admonish if I'm wrong.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:
You know these aren't the values being discussed here.

Quote:
"The church" for the purposes of this thread is primarily the Southern Baptist Church along with Pentecostal/Charismatic denominations, non-denominational evangelical, and some but not all Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.