Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:33 PM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times

Advertisements

Overreaction on the part of the store clerk? Yeah, perhaps.

On the other hand, when you decide to become a criminal, you need to understand that you just may lose your life because of your bad choice.

I certainly do not think that the store clerk should have done nothing at all. And I don't feel even a tiny bit sorry for the thief. I actually feel more sorry for the clerk, who has now ruined his life. He may as well have turned the gun on himself after shooting the criminal because he will now be burned at the stake and have his family dragged through hell or maybe killed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:36 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,518,819 times
Yeah that's straight up murder.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:07 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,230,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ok, while I often understand the use of force in some situations, I must say I do not agree with it in this situation. First off, it seems the clerk was in no danger. He was simply dealing with a shoplifter, whom he felt so comfortable dealing with that he followed him all the way back to his car. The clerk should have simply gotten the plate numbers and called the authorities to handle the petty theft. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the story says this guy was a "Speedway" clerk. He was not the owner, and as such he literally had zero "skin in the game" if you know what I mean. Furthermore, as a person who's brother literally worked for "Speedway" just a year or so ago, I know they are trained to not pursue or try to detain shoplifters when they see them commit a crime. They can say something to them, but if they flee, they are supposed to call the police, not take matters into their own hands. It's for the clerk's safety. Then again, most Speedway clerks aren't packing when they come in for their shift, something that is also against the rules in most corporate owned business establishments. Bottom line, this man didn't deserve to die for running out of a store with a few cans of Red Bull. And honestly, my gut feeling is this clerk has probably been waiting for a chance to use that pistol for a long time. I am a gun owner, and I know many other gun owners, and I know not one of them would have shot this man for this petty crime. They may have pulled their weapons and tried to detain the man before he ever got to his car, but no way would any completely sane person kill a man for this sort of crime. This guy probably thought he'd be seen as a hero for these actions, but in the end, the murder charge is much more fitting in my opinion.
Per the article, the store clerk initially denied that he shot the perpetrator. That indicates a reactionary response, not the actions of someone with a hero complex awaiting the opportunity to kill a thief.

While I think his actions were excessive, to say the least, I also recognize the possibility of PTSD suffered by victims of crimes that have gone unpunished and excused by the unjust death of a criminal at the knee of a police officer was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:02 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,361,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There's three crimes a year committed with guns?
Wow. Just. Wow.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:51 AM

11,013 posts, read 5,969,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Cool story bro. 300 million guns in America and about .00000001 % of the population commits crimes with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There's three crimes a year committed with guns?
Not sure how you got from ".00000001 % of the population commits crimes with them "to three crimes a year committed with guns".

The .00000001 % was obviously an exaggeration but the point is that a small percentage of the population commit a large percentage of crimes.

While I might not view this shooting in a favorable light, I would prefer to hold off judgement until more information becomes available. Certainly, shooting a perp in the head does not seem like an appropriate response. He could have simply shot a tire out if he felt that strongly about it. The only times I have ever contemplated and been prepared to shoot someone was when my life felt threatened (or when the safety of another person was being threatened).

But after all is said and done, I feel more for the shooter who has now ruined his life, than I do for the thief.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:22 AM

7,319 posts, read 3,508,319 times
Well, I guess the shop lifter won't be stealing anymore and a hot headed store clerk is in jail. An overall net positive.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:39 AM

724 posts, read 402,733 times
There are tons of stories like this over the years. There have been a few with Asian storeowners who have shot and killed Blacks for robbing items sometimes worth only a few dollars, and it has resulted in the owners being charged and convicted of murder.

It's simply not worth it. It's the cost of doing business. I personally could never shoot or kill someone for robbing some store items. The robber is of course wrong, but it's overboard.

If anything at all run to the door and hold up the gun so the person can't leave, and call the cops. Or in a worse-case scenario shoot someone in the leg. But to shoot someone in the head? That's overboard.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I agree, petty theft is annoying. But it's not okay to kill a man because he takes some cans of Red Bull without paying. I remember my little boy put a lollipop in his pocket once when we were at the convenience store. He was so young that he didn't have the sense to keep it hidden very long. He whipped it out as soon as we got in the car and started trying to open it. I saw it, got him out of the car seat, and made him go back in and return the lollipop. I guess I got lucky. If this guy had seen him do that, he might have shot him.
That is a stretch. He shot an adult not some little kid.

I don't condone shooting someone like this, but how do you stop these privileged entitled people stealing from everyone all the time? They are just going to keep doing it over and over knowing there is nothing anyone can do.

Maybe one can detain them somehow, but how?

Old 07-09-2021, 06:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Too bad the guy's gone.

It's also too bad he tried to rob the owner's store.

They should let him go.

That store definitely won't get robbed again any time soon.

A major reduction in crime!
The shooter was a clerk, not the owner of the gas station.

Indiana, like most states does not permit use of deadly force to defend your property. In this case the shooter was a clerk , not the owner of the gas station, not that it makes any difference.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:54 AM

7,875 posts, read 3,440,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That is a stretch. He shot an adult not some little kid.

I don't condone shooting someone like this, but how do you stop these privileged entitled people stealing from everyone all the time? They are just going to keep doing it over and over knowing there is nothing anyone can do.

Maybe one can detain them somehow, but how?
This new thing where they shoplift the items right in front of you and dare you to do something about it is especially infuriating. Such brazen disrespect is much more likely to result in escalation because at that point it's not even about the stolen items really. It's a toxic mixture of audacity and entitlement that is just begging for a response. Still doesn't mean it's OK to shoot someone in the head over it. Let it be a lesson to these punks though that not everyone is just going to stand there and take it. The guy behind the counter might be crazier than you thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies