Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Blacks were also practitioners (see above post) and most slaves were captured and sold by blacks. But that doesn't matter and never will to people who want to blame others for something that never happened to them personally. What is most ironic is that the same people claiming foul -- support the political party that promoted slavery.
2 or 3 blacks practiced it. Let’s not get carried away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 02:53 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Should white people get retroactive credit...

As soon as I saw the title, I didn't have to read the rest of the OP.

White people will never get retroactive credit for anything. Ever.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Should white people get retroactive credit...

As soon as I saw the title, I didn't have to read the rest of the OP.

White people will never get retroactive credit for anything. Ever.
Well, white slave owners got retroactive payment from the US government for the slaves that were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation.

So there's that.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
4 million African Americans were slaves, which means a helluva lot of white Americans owned slaves. And miss me with the black slave owner stuff...most of that was nothing more than blacks buying the freedom of their family members. The amount of blacks owning slaves for labor was infinitesimal. Not even worth talking about.

It’s not right to hold all whites accountable for slavery, and we know most whites of the period didn’t own slaves. But that’s not the central question here.

The question is “do whites deserve credit for ending slavery,” and the answer is a RESOUNDING NO!! You don’t get props for ending your own evil.

And no white men died to end slavery with the exception of John Brown and his sons. They get props. White Union troops fought to restore the Union, not to free slaves. So they get no props either.

Lincoln and John Brown...that’s the list.
First I said, no way were there 4 million slaves, but nope you were right.

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1...stribution.pdf

But you're wrong on giving props. Restoring the Union was to free slaves as that was the only way it was going to be done.

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
4 million African Americans were slaves, which means a helluva lot of white Americans owned slaves. And miss me with the black slave owner stuff...most of that was nothing more than blacks buying the freedom of their family members. The amount of blacks owning slaves for labor was infinitesimal. Not even worth talking about.

It’s not right to hold all whites accountable for slavery, and we know most whites of the period didn’t own slaves. But that’s not the central question here.

The question is “do whites deserve credit for ending slavery,” and the answer is a RESOUNDING NO!! You don’t get props for ending your own evil.

And no white men died to end slavery with the exception of John Brown and his sons. They get props. White Union troops fought to restore the Union, not to free slaves. So they get no props either.

Lincoln and John Brown...that’s the list.
Abe Lincoln was a raciest from the get go, although he detested slavery he also detested blacks. His Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves in the States that were in rebellion against the United States, it did nothing for the slaves in the Northern States. Lincoln wanted to send all the emancipated blacks to Central America, Lincoln even went as far as to tell 5 Black Ministers he was meeting with that if it weren't for the blacks in this country there would have been no Civil War.

It was the 13th amendment that ended slavery in the United States in 1865, again Lincoln was hesitant to agree with this amendment but did so for the betterment of the Republican party.

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Sure, white people can get credit for ending slavery along with all of the other racist policies they enacted post-civil war as well. SMH....amazing how little of US history people know. Stop acting like the end of slavery was the end of oppression and racism.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:03 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
"You folks"? Right there, you lose the argument.
is this 'black fragility' in action?

Old 07-09-2021, 03:07 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:
And I know who the criminals were who raped, beat, perpetually mistreated, and sold away family members and tried to destroy the spirit of my people. And they weren’t Brazilians.

And their names are ?

Old 07-09-2021, 03:07 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Could you tell us what percentage of white people in the USA of that time (AND black people!) were slave owners?

And could you then let us know why the majority (you will come up with this percentage after your research) of whites who did NOT own slaves, the majority of which fought and in some cases died to end slavery, should be held responsible for the practice of slavery the same as slave owners should be?

And once you dive that far into your studies, could you then tell us what sort of logic dictates that an entire race within the USA now should be held accountable for what a small minority of all races did two hundred years ago?

Good luck with your research and justifications.
No one is being held personally responsible, that's a silly assertion.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:08 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Sure, white people can get credit for ending slavery along with all of the other racist policies they enacted post-civil war as well.
They can. But they never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies