Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 12:03 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
China can increase their mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium, freon, and CFC pollution because they have more people too, right?...you know, per capita
I'm not understanding you. Are you saying that just because China is not slowing down, even though the US is way ahead of them, there is not reason for the US to slow down?

Old 07-13-2021, 12:13 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
1930s were hotter and drier.
Not here, they weren't!

This is the first year in my lifetime that Idaho became so hot in early June and stayed hot, with no rain at all.
2001 and 2007 were droughty and hot, in many places out here, but not like this.

It was 105º again today, out on my deck. My deck is always about 5º hotter than the ambient air.
In 2001, my thermometer topped out at 100º a few times, in late July, but it averaged around 90. This year the average is 96. It hits 100 almost daily now for at least an hour.

It isn't the heat that worries me the most. It's the total lack of rain.
We typically get some monsoonal rains throughout May into the middle of June, and in a dry year, that's all the moisture we'll get until late fall. Most often if the winter was dry, the monsoonal rains will be heavy. A big snow year means the monsoon will be light.

This year, we went straight from cold and dry in March to hot and dry in April with no rain at all, and it's just growing hotter every day now by a degree or two.

The most abnormal thing about this drought is how similar it is throughout the entire northwest.

Montana lies east of the Great Divide from Idaho, and until this year the divide always split up the summer weather patterns. So did the coastal divides, the Cascades and Sierras, that run north and south along the Pacific coast.

The weather was always different in the border states that surround the northwestern states, like Utah, Nevada, and the Dakotas and Colorado.

Not this year. Portland has never reached 112º before. Salt Lake City is always hot in the summers, but it's never reached 115º in living history. Even Death Valley has never reached 130º before. And not a drop of rain in any of them, anywhere for well over 90 days.

No string of windy days either. That was another thing that was always predictable here, but it now looks like the heat is here to stay for as long as it wants to stay and nothing is going to budge it or break it up.

God help us all if it persists into late fall. Another dry winter will turn the entire region into a huge time bomb, when any fire that starts will blow up within 24 hours anywhere.

The forests in the Rockies burn, but the forests in the Cascades never burned before like they're doing this year.
I don't think anyone could ever envision a fire in the Cascades reaching the forests in the Rockies, and I still believe it wouldn't this summer, but if this heat keeps up, I think it's a possibility.
One more summer like this would turn it into a certainty.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-13-2021 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 01:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not here, they weren't!

This is the first year in my lifetime that Idaho became so hot in early June and stayed hot, with no rain at all.
2001 and 2007 were droughty and hot, in many places out here, but not like this.

It was 105º again today, out on my deck. My deck is always about 5º hotter than the ambient air.
In 2001, my thermometer topped out at 100º a few times, in late July, but it averaged around 90. This year the average is 96. It hits 100 almost daily now for at least an hour.

It isn't the heat that worries me the most. It's the total lack of rain.
We typically get some monsoonal rains throughout May into the middle of June, and in a dry year, that's all the moisture we'll get until late fall. Most often if the winter was dry, the monsoonal rains will be heavy. A big snow year means the monsoon will be light.

This year, we went straight from cold and dry in March to hot and dry in April with no rain at all, and it's just growing hotter every day now by a degree or two.

The most abnormal thing about this drought is how similar it is throughout the entire northwest.

Montana lies east of the Great Divide from Idaho, and until this year the divide always split up the summer weather patterns. So did the coastal divides, the Cascades and Sierras, that run north and south along the Pacific coast.

The weather was always different in the border states that surround the northwestern states, like Utah, Nevada, and the Dakotas and Colorado.

Not this year. Portland has never reached 112º before. Salt Lake City is always hot in the summers, but it's never reached 115º in living history. Even Death Valley has never reached 130º before. And not a drop of rain in any of them, anywhere for well over 90 days.

No string of windy days either. That was another thing that was always predictable here, but it now looks like the heat is here to stay for as long as it wants to stay and nothing is going to budge it or break it up.

God help us all if it persists into late fall. Another dry winter will turn the entire region into a huge time bomb, when any fire that starts will blow up within 24 hours anywhere.

The forests in the Rockies burn, but the forests in the Cascades never burned before like they're doing this year.
I don't think anyone could ever envision a fire in the Cascades reaching the forests in the Rockies, and I still believe it wouldn't this summer, but if this heat keeps up, I think it's a possibility.
One more summer like this would turn it into a certainty.
Then move to central Oklahoma, like Oklahoma City, where hi temps have mostly been in the 80s every day since July started. More 80s expected for most of the next week with no drought. But hope that it doesn't get as crazy hot day after day as it did in 2011.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:55 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The US is still one of the top countries in per capita consumption of fossil fuels (look at your chart), each US individual consumes around 3 times our Chinese counterparts. We have been the leader in generation of CO2 for decades and it lasts around a hundred years. Yes we have gone down while they have increased but we are still far worse than China, they have a long way to go to surpass us.
No shet Camrade. Regardless, the Chinese CO2 output is now at twice what we have contributed into the environment the last year measured. Theirs have gone Up every year, in the wrong direction, while our #s have gone down, in the right direction. Not to mention the Chinese contaminating the seas with with plastics 35 times what our #s are. Anyway about it, the US , Europe, North and South America are going in the right direction.

Maybe your China friends will start importing Ethylene glycol laced dog food or baby formula again

Old 07-13-2021, 03:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
"A Warming Earth is Also a Wetter Earth." If only this were true - especially in regions prone to drought like the American West. Unfortunately, the little side bar that you have posted from the NOAA website is a vast over simplification - especially when someone takes it out of context the way you have.

I read it all, just put the simplified part on here with the assumption anybody interested would also read it all.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:13 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm not understanding you. Are you saying that just because China is not slowing down, even though the US is way ahead of them, there is not reason for the US to slow down?
no, the USA is not way ahead of them.....just the opposite....the USA has not increased it's CO2 emissions in 50 years

....all of the increase in CO2 emissions has come from China

and all of the increase in global warming has come from China

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png

Old 07-13-2021, 10:12 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
no, the USA is not way ahead of them.....just the opposite....the USA has not increased it's CO2 emissions in 50 years

....all of the increase in CO2 emissions has come from China

and all of the increase in global warming has come from China

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png
They will always side with their Chinese Comrades vs. Evil Capitalist Even though the Chinese model is Capitalistic Communism

Old 07-13-2021, 10:14 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
This thread is still going?

Y'all know what a "desert" is, don't you?

Old 07-13-2021, 10:53 AM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
From Scientific American:

Here in Western Colorado is no exception and the sale of livestock thanks to lack of forage is well underway. People who STILL refuse to believe in climate change are being deliberately and foolishly blind.

Let's see, the Climate is billions of years old, and has changed countless times in it's history. We have been keeping weather and temperature information for something like 150 years and You are quite sure it's never ever ever happened before? Uh huh.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:50 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
CLIMATE EMERGENCY! "Scientists" said so!

https://twitter.com/wilderfortruth/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies