Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No, we covertly take over countries.

The UN is the place any country in trouble needs to go.
Yup, financially etc. They can ask the UN or any ally, but I hear some of my ex-teammates deploying - I retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The UN is the place any country in trouble needs to go.
^^This. Granted the last time the UN went to Haiti, they brought Cholera with them so they may be a little nervous about that but there you have it.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:50 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oh boy, hippy lesson of the day. Thanks

Watch the History channel, you might learn something.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think you should get an envelope and a stamp and mail the govt of Haiti whatever you can spare to help them out. You might even enlist some of your like minded friends to do the same or start a "go fund haiti" campaign.
I know you're trying to sound rational () in proposing Biden send a group of strangers (or as you might call them "a foreign govt") $5,000,000 of our dollars, but in reality you are coming off as quite unhinged.
I try not to respond to people who are purposely rude, but I want to make this point.

When a country (or person) asks for help, and you don't want to give it and don't think it's a good thing to support, offering a very little (and 5 million is a VERY, VERY little) is a good way to put an end to the request. Refusing to act at all leaves the door open to their continued pleas because you haven't responded yet. If you give a small amount in cash, and offer tutorials and maybe some software support on securing their assets, you've responded and made it clear this is it.

And I'm not going to continue this conversation with you if you don't cut the snark.

Giving a very small amount is a tried and true diplomatic, and legal staple. As in, offer some tiny amount in your will to someone you wish to actually write out of the will, because in court it's obvious the deceased didn't actually forget about Jane. The deceased just didn't wish to give her much.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:24 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I try not to respond to people who are purposely rude, but I want to make this point.

When a country (or person) asks for help, and you don't want to give it and don't think it's a good thing to support, offering a very little (and 5 million is a VERY, VERY little) is a good way to put an end to the request. Refusing to act at all leaves the door open to their continued pleas because you haven't responded yet. If you give a small amount in cash, and offer tutorials and maybe some software support on securing their assets, you've responded and made it clear this is it.

And I'm not going to continue this conversation with you if you don't cut the snark.

Giving a very small amount is a tried and true diplomatic, and legal staple. As in, offer some tiny amount in your will to someone you wish to actually write out of the will, because in court it's obvious the deceased didn't actually forget about Jane. The deceased just didn't wish to give her much.
Make it a token payment so they shut up? That is some real .GOV nonsense there. Sheesh.

Giving money in this case is simply "casting pearls before swine". Haiti is, and will continue to be, a failed kleptocracy.

Spending the money to have our folks train their folks makes more sense, but then that involves gear and supplies to be effective, which seems to bring the U.S. into yet another swamp.

The only real policy aspect of this is the U.S. following the Monroe Doctrine for years, which could muddy the waters some.

Direct air dropped humanitarian aid supplies to keep folks fed would be OK, but no troops to distribute it. Somalia was not that long ago, the lessons should still be relevant. Haiti needs to manage their own country.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:29 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Make it a token payment so they shut up? That is some real .GOV nonsense there. Sheesh.

Giving money in this case is simply "casting pearls before swine". Haiti is, and will continue to be, a failed kleptocracy.

Spending the money to have our folks train their folks makes more sense, but then that involves gear and supplies to be effective, which seems to bring the U.S. into yet another swamp.

The only real policy aspect of this is the U.S. following the Monroe Doctrine for years, which could muddy the waters some.

Direct air dropped humanitarian aid supplies to keep folks fed would be OK, but no troops to distribute it. Somalia was not that long ago, the lessons should still be relevant. Haiti needs to manage their own country.
Good intentions, but once you realize the expense of administering the aid takes up most of, or exceeds the amount the aid, the irrationalty of the plan is shown.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:51 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Like I said earlier in this thread. If the “government” of Haiti seriously want help reach out to China and Russia, and the U.S will send half the army to Haiti.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

So you don't care what happens to Haiti and by tossing them a mere $5 million it will shut them up and make you feel better ???

How shallow

Old 07-10-2021, 12:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
An update: We are sending FBI and Homeland Security to assess the situation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

From the article: In Washington, a senior Biden administration official said that F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security officials would go to Port-au-Prince “as soon as possible” to assess how to help. The official also said, “There are no plans to provide U.S. military assistance at this time.”

Here we go again!

Old 07-10-2021, 12:58 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Watch the History channel, you might learn something.
Yeah, I would learn about Ice Road Truckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies