Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 04:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Here are a few of mine that immediately to mind and some tie in to each other. I'm sure I could come up with more but below are a dozen:

1. Anti-intellectualism and all that it leads to

2. The lack of civility and lack of understanding that with rights comes responsibilities to not infringe on other people

3. US gun culture which worships guns to the point of idolatry and is indifferent about despicable violence such as mass shootings at elementary schools

4. Health care becoming so expensive people can't afford medically necessary procedures. It's bad now but there's a fear that it could get worse.

5. People who embrace fascism, extreme nationalism (different from being patriotic), and going backwards in regard to race relations and just bigotry in general amongst a large segment of the US population

6. The ease of access to information and spread of disinformation such as conspiracy theories

7. The US being divided more than other countries.

8. Vigilantism

9. Future pandemics

10. Politicians who pander to the lowest common denominator but lack policy substance concerning critical needs such as infrastructure, education, and economic development.

11. Climate change. This is an overwhelming issue and extends well beyond the US, but I have concern this is going to create some environmental disasters, and with greater frequency.

12. Just in general, US people do not seem the happiest nor lead the happiest or most fulfilling lifestyles and there is an overall pessimistic mood in this country and suspicion of people that I don't believe exists in other countries to the extent that it does in the US, especially in other economically prosperous countries. It gets back to why do people here feel the need to have all of these guns in the first place, when people don't in other countries and have a much lower violent crime rate. I think that's been an issue to some extent for decades, but it seems to have gotten incrementally worse.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-10-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 04:45 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
A person I'm connected with on LinkedIn just posted this picture she took recently somewhere in North Dakota. If you can't read the flag on that truck, it reads, "Fu*% Biden."
Completely unimportant.

Just as, when liberals used to hold signs (or put them on their cars and trucks) reading "F*** Trump", that was also completely unimportant.

If somebody wants to display how low-class he is, why should I spend even one second worrying about it?

Old 07-10-2021, 04:50 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Here are a few of mine that immediately to mind and some tie in to each other. I'm sure I could come up with more but below are a dozen:

2. The lack of civility and lack of understanding that with rights comes responsibilities to not infringe on other people

3. US gun culture which worships guns to the point of idolatry and is indifferent about despicable violence such as mass shootings at elementary schools

4. Health care becoming so expensive people can't afford medically necessary procedures. It's bad now but there's a fear that it could get worse.

5. People who embrace fascism, extreme nationalism (different from being patriotic), and going backwards in regard to race relations and just bigotry in general amongst a large segment of the US population

6. The ease of access to information and spread of disinformation such as conspiracy theories

8. Vigilantism

9. Future pandemics

10. Politicians who pander to the lowest common denominator but lack policy substance concerning critical needs such as infrastructure, education, and economic development.

11. Climate change. This is an overwhelming issue and extends well beyond the US, but I have concern this is going to create some environmental disasters, and with greater frequency.

12. Just in general, US people do not seem the happiest nor lead the happiest or most fulfilling lifestyles and there is an overall pessimistic mood in this country and suspicion of people that I don't believe exists in other countries to the extent that it does in the US, especially in other economically prosperous countries. It gets back to why do people here feel the need to have all of these guns in the first place, when people don't in other countries and have a much lower violent crime rate. I think that's been an issue to some extent for decades, but it seems to have gotten incrementally worse.
You got a few things right but may I point out where you went wrong? There is no gun worshiping culture by most people who own guns. Mass killings occur by the mentally ill and not because they worship guns but they have hate in their hearts and a mental condition and a gun or a knife is only a means to an end for them.

There are some good reasons to feel pessimistic these days. Many posters have touched on them in here so it's not unwarranted. It's about trying to survive in a country that has changed in so many ways and a lot of it isn't good change. It has nothing to do with owning a gun except for self protection.

Most Americans are not extremists, racist or want to return to the days of racism. So I disagree with your claim that bigotry in general is amongst a large segment of the US population. Some people try to claim that just wanting a secure border and our immigration laws enforced equates to bigotry. No it doesn't!

Old 07-10-2021, 04:59 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
- No Rule of Law

- Continued Corruption and Rot in our Government

- Turning Away from Believing in a Power Greater than Ourselves and Embracing Depravity and Greed

It we can't get a handle on these three things, it doesn't matter what the weather is doing outside.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You got a few things right but may I point out where you went wrong? There is no gun worshiping culture by most people who own guns. Mass killings occur by the mentally ill and not because they worship guns but they have hate in their hearts and a mental condition and a gun or a knife is only a means to an end for them.

There are some good reasons to feel pessimistic these days. Many posters have touched on them in here so it's not unwarranted. It's about trying to survive in a country that has changed in so many ways and a lot of it isn't good change. It has nothing to do with owning a gun except for self protection.

Most Americans are not extremists, racist or want to return to the days of racism. So I disagree with your claim that bigotry in general is amongst a large segment of the US population. Some people try to claim that just wanting a secure border and our immigration laws enforced equates to bigotry. No it doesn't!
You certainly have a right to your own opinions on all of these matters and you shared them in a courteous way (which I appreciate), so I'm happy to respond. Not everyone is going to see the same thing when it comes to what they're worried about as far as the future of the USA.

On the gun issue, we may just have to agree to disagree, to an extent. I actually spent much of my time growing up in a rural area, and so I was around people who owned guns, hunted, used them for target shooting, etc., and yes, would have used them for protection if worst came to worst. But I just didn't pick up on the same paranoia from those folks in that rural area (who were great folks BTW) that I do from a lot of the people nowadays who seem to be pushing everyone to put as many guns in as many scenarios as possible (bars, churches, teachers having them in schools, etc.). The lobbying organizations, politicians, media, etc. that are pushing for this remind me nothing of the laid back country people that I knew growing up. It all just seems more sinister and hyper-aggressive than it ever used to.

And as far as the pessimism, I've just gotten a different sense in some of those same rural areas I grew up in for many years, that people are much less trusting of outsiders while they used to be more welcoming and neighborly, even to people who weren't from their. A few exceptions exist here and there, but it's noticeable to me. I have my suspicions that that has happened in a lot of rural America. It's actually really sad.

Thankfully, no, most Americans aren't racist and extremists, but the group that is has become more emboldened and coming out of the woodwork (people like Dylan Roof) in recent years. While I didn't specifically bring immigration up, I'm not opposed to a secure border or a process for immigrants to follow the law instead of breaking it, but I have a mixed impression on how this has been done, and it seems like it's been mishandled for so long it's become next to impossible to get a handle on. One of my biggest concerns, as I'm sure many others are concerned about, are the drug cartels getting into this country, but with some of the measures put in place with physical barriers, the cartels have easily breached those.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-10-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 05:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
I'd echo the post #103.
Not sure tax was listed, so that has been a multi layered problem.
Civil public law and order.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:31 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It was a tough choice for me because there are so many to choose from, but mine are:

- Another "Great Depression"

- COVID vaccines being mandatory (and "Big Brother" government in other ways, too)

- Critical Race Theory being taught (directly or indirectly) to children in the lower grades (K-8).

What three things do you most fear for the future of the U.S.?

NOTE: I do not intend to debate anyone about my answers or theirs. However, of course, you are free to elaborate on your choices.

1. China

2. China

3. China

Old 07-10-2021, 05:32 PM

57 posts, read 22,263 times
The US will fail because it was fraudulently changed by Congress into a heterogeneous society. The Founders wanted a homogeneous society that’s why they penned naturalization in the Constitution.

Natural born citizens do not need the 14th Amendment for their citizenship. Naturalization is a Kind. Natural born is a Kind.

This went way over everyone’s head because you don’t understand what natural means.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:36 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:

8. Vigilantism

9. Future pandemics

Well written with some thought behind that...agreed!

Old 07-10-2021, 05:39 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
You certainly have a right to your own opinions on all of these matters and you shared them in a courteous way (which I appreciate), so I'm happy to respond. Not everyone is going to see the same thing when it comes to what they're worried about as far as the future of the USA.

On the gun issue, we may just have to agree to disagree, to an extent. I actually spent much of my time growing up in a rural area, and so I was around people who owned guns, hunted, used them for target shooting, etc., and yes, would have used them for protection if worst came to worst. But I just didn't pick up on the same paranoia from those folks in that rural area (who were great folks BTW) that I do from a lot of the people nowadays who seem to be pushing everyone to put as many guns in as many scenarios as possible (bars, churches, teachers having them in schools, etc.). The lobbying organizations, politicians, media, etc. that are pushing for this remind me nothing of the laid back country people that I knew growing up. It all just seems more sinister and hyper-aggressive than it ever used to.

And as far as the pessimism, I've just gotten a different sense in some of those same rural areas I grew up in for many years, that people are much less trusting of outsiders while they used to be more welcoming and neighborly, even to people who weren't from their. A few exceptions exist here and there, but it's noticeable to me. I have my suspicions that that has happened in a lot of rural America. It's actually really sad.

Thankfully, no, most Americans aren't racist and extremists, but the group that is has become more emboldened and coming out of the woodwork (people like Dylan Roof) in recent years. While I didn't specifically bring immigration up, I'm not opposed to a secure border or a process for immigrants to follow the law instead of breaking it, but I have a mixed impression on how this has been done, and it seems like it's been mishandled for so long it's become next to impossible to get a handle on. One of my biggest concerns, as I'm sure many others are concerned about, are the drug cartels getting into this country, but with some of the measures put in place with physical barriers, the cartels have easily breached those.
Have you ever given a thought that much of this mistrust and being less welcoming is about allowing too much legal immigration and massive illegal immigration from cultures different than ours whether you be rural or urban? Rural folks don't need the competition for jobs and resources either. Nothing sad about it it's about survival and protecting what's yours. Law abiding urban dwellers feel the same way.

Um no, the drug cartels are not getting through the good physical barriers on our border. They are sneaking in via the unprotected and more dangerous areas. They are also smuggling drugs in through legal ports of entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies