Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 08:40 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times

Advertisements

1. The undermining of democratic institutions by and rise of support for authoritarianism within a formerly respectable political party.

2. Stalemate politically to the point that even basic government functions are paralyzed.

3. The effects of climate change becoming more and more apparent with no political consensus or will as to how to combat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:43 PM

8,493 posts, read 4,550,068 times
The greatest threat to America is from former POTUS Trump and his followers that refuse to accept the truth.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, I am not concerned with "great depression". I am concerned with global economy collapse and digital concentration camp coming. It'll hit so bad, GD will be cakewalk. Those of you who survived through the USSR collapse and early 90s there, know, what I am talking about.
What is digital concentration camp?

Old 07-09-2021, 09:17 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,025 times
1. Resource and energy depletion
2. Increasing societal and political dysfunction
3. Open savagery, debauchery, and degeneracy becoming increasingly common.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:27 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
1. Hyperinflation.
2. Increased racial tensions.
3. Federalization of voting and/or policing.

One of the important and often overlooked protections our nation has against potential government overthrow is the non-centralization of elections and the police. Right now some dictator wanna-be manages to get some general to go along with his grand plans they have to contend with 1000’s of Sheriff Billy Bobs and Chief Smiths.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:29 PM

18,715 posts, read 7,595,563 times
So what are your three greatest concerns for the future of the U.S. right now?

1.) More people becoming more dependent on Government.

2.) People losing interest in whether the things Government is doing, have any authorization in the Constitution.

3.) People losing interest in whether the National Debt is getting too big.

Any one of those three things can lead to the nation's collapsing. All three of them done together, well.......

P.S. And if we get a fourth choice too, mine would be:

4.) A majority becoming contemptuous of law&order, police enforcement, and deciding not to support either one.

Last edited by Roboteer; 07-09-2021 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 09:47 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
1.) The GOP fulfilling their dream of an autocracy/dictatorship.

2.) Science denial.

3.) Voting rights.

4.) Climate change.
Please go compare how the Governors of "Blue" States handled the Pandemic compared to how the Governors of "Red" States handled it. Then come back and tell us who you think acted as more of a dictator?

Old 07-09-2021, 09:52 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Please go compare how the Governors of "Blue" States handled the Pandemic compared to how the Governors of "Red" States handled it. Then come back and tell us who you think acted as more of a dictator?
Well since blues states are getting back to normal now whereas red states are still dealing with this pandemic ....I would say blue states did much better.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Biggest three concerns

Aging Infrastructure of suburbs combined with lower population growth, the cities, that can replace it's empty-nesters will do fine but not everywhere can or will do that, and some towns are just built far to sprawl-y to maintain themselves as time moves on. I'm fine with lowered population growth, but I think low density sprawl in a declining area population wise might lead to a physical decline even in nice areas. These areas might not get bad, but once more and more houses become available some areas might just empty.

Home affordability. Because cities have generally improved significantly since the 1970-1980s, affordability will become an issue in the desirable areas. This contradicts my first point, but it's largely because the desirable and thus expensive areas are going to be desirable especially to immigrants as more of the rest of the country declines, and i'm not sure where the breaking point is, that people forsake Phoenix/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Sunbelt not to mention the East and West Coasts+SLC+Denver for either cheaper sunbelt cities, or the cheapest Midwest cities. These cities aren't that expensive but as the first 4 approach 10,000,000, and places like Pittsburgh lose 500,000 residents in the metro area, will they become expensive enough that Greater Pittsburgh sees it's suburbs and coal towns get replenished.

Inflation, the inflation rate has been really high this year, and it's unlikely to go down all the way to pre-2020 levels, so some basics are likely just going to be permanently more expensive which sucks.
I don't think Democrats or Republicans are a major threat to anything foundational, so I have a more positive view of the future in general.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:54 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Republicans undermining the Constitution running an authoritarian mafia style dictatorship.

Civil war.

Climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies