Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 08:58 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

The great reset

America going broke and can't borrow any more money from China

Freedom of speech gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 09:00 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
#1. The Christian Right and the culture war becoming a civil war. The longer Donald Trump remains relevant in politics and the longer half the country continues to believe he really won the 2020 election, the more likely this becomes. If my second two fears come to pass it will largely be thanks to the Christian Right and what they are currently doing to this country to maintain their power.

#2. COVID resurgence due to new vaccine-resistance variant. Having to go back to restrictions for any reason (I'm not going to risk my life like the Republican Party demands I do so if there's a vaccine-resistant strain, that will mean back to lockdown whether it's mandated or not.

#3. The climate crisis. It's really starting to get scary. I think decades from now people will be watching videos of all of the Republicans today saying that it's just a natural process or that it's a sign Jesus is coming back soon and seethe with anger about how as a society we had the chance to save the planet and we didn't.

Honorable mention. Another Great Depression. I think we are actually in one right now, but it will take some time to see. The 1930s economy didn't bottom out until 1933 despite the depression starting in 1929.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:12 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
#1. The Christian Right and the culture war becoming a civil war. The longer Donald Trump remains relevant in politics and the longer half the country continues to believe he really won the 2020 election, the more likely this becomes. If my second two fears come to pass it will largely be thanks to the Christian Right and what they are currently doing to this country to maintain their power.

#2. COVID resurgence due to new vaccine-resistance variant. Having to go back to restrictions for any reason (I'm not going to risk my life like the Republican Party demands I do so if there's a vaccine-resistant strain, that will mean back to lockdown whether it's mandated or not.

#3. The climate crisis. It's really starting to get scary. I think decades from now people will be watching videos of all of the Republicans today saying that it's just a natural process or that it's a sign Jesus is coming back soon and seethe with anger about how as a society we had the chance to save the planet and we didn't.

Honorable mention. Another Great Depression. I think we are actually in one right now, but it will take some time to see. The 1930s economy didn't bottom out until 1933 despite the depression starting in 1929.
#1 - cite violence coming from the Christian Right, then define what the hell the Christian Right is.

#2 - does it matter if the variant so far, seems to be weaker, and more like a severe flu?

#3 - If you think the climate is in crisis due to CO2, then it will not be addressed until China and India make changes. So....

Old 07-10-2021, 09:18 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee cat lady View Post
1). the threat to america and our democracy.
(not from abroad but from within)

from a group of americans who ironically call them self 'patriots' while putting one man and his narcissistic and insane lies
above their own party and above their own country. (it is bad enough the damage that he has done to his own party, which was also my party for decades...and make no mistake a democracy needs at least two viable parties to work.)but the damage he has done to america is the biggest threat our country has seen to date.

2).unfair tax codes
unfair tax codes that punish the middle class, working class and small business owners. It gives unfair advantage to the super wealthy billionaires and the corporations. Since so many of our political leaders (on both side no less) have been bought and paid for by these very same people, change will probably be slow to come, if at all. Long road ahead.

3. the increasing divide in the american people
we are all americans. The other half of america is not your enemy. It's gotten out of hand, and the hate is off the radar.
Some people even want a civil war. If our country is to survive, we have got to find a fix for this. We cannot sustain a constant continued political instability like this.

But i am also worried about climate change, crime/safety, and the high cost of medical care in the us, etc.
+1

Old 07-10-2021, 09:36 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
As I said, I am not going to argue with anyone, but I am "wowed" by the NUMBER of replies, and thank all of you who have replied so far.

What this has confirmed for me, however, is that people are very, very concerned and worried about the U.S. today. I share probably at least 90% of ALL the concerns listed. It also confirms for me (although this has been said by others before now) that the divide between left and right is only growing wider and deeper.

And what also surprises me is that there was a similar "poll" done several years ago (if I were to guess, I would put it about five or six years ago), and if memory serves, there were not nearly the number of responses received -- and I started this thread only about 18 hours ago! -- and there were not nearly the number of different replies, either. I don't think race was mentioned and a pandemic wasn't. I think the biggest answer involved Democrats vs. Republicans, the economy, and a few said climate change, gun and/or abortion. (However, I could be wrong about ALL of this because that thread, if it existed and I am not just imagining it, was more than just two or three years ago, I think.)

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

Old 07-10-2021, 10:15 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

1) Climate change

2) Increasing divide among the American people

3) Loss of a true democracy
I essentially like your list. My perspective is that we have been asleep at the wheel on all three and need to get some traction...fast. Climate change is here already. It will cost us dearly to mitigate the impact. There are forces (foreign and domestic) actively working to divide the country. Something like "the fairness doctrine" needs to be reinstated. The voting public needs to rise up against dark money, corporate manipulation, and special interest control of government, especially the legislative process.

I would also point out that the tax system needs to be seriously reformed with the rich and corporations paying a higher share of the tax burden. I would rather see a tax and spend mentality than a borrow and spend mentality -- a pay as we go approach. Additionally, income inequality will get much worse without serious effort to rein it in.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:46 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What is digital concentration camp?
A video game where you’re digitally starved, digitally tortured and digitally executed with Zxylon-B.

Unfortunately, it would be a big hit with some of the posters here, as long as the victims didn’t look like them.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:55 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
1. Trump
2. Trumpers
3. Republicans.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:19 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Hmmm. With the radical left being in power at the moment number one on my list is that they will attempt a coup either before the midterms or immediately thereafter when they see the pending loss of power or when the election results make it a reality.

Number two is the postulations about armed civil conflict drawn up on the lines the neo Democrats are drawing along racial economic immigration and taxation policy. Other things factor in as well but I believe the leftist leadership is counting on racial divides to carry the day for them the most.

Third is a looming threat of major natural disaster here in the intermountain West where my loved ones and I call home. I'm not blaming that fear on climate change, no. It's just Mother Nature at work. This searing heat that I have never seen happen as early as it has now ever, coupled with an ever increasing number of notable earthquakes has me quite spooked. The quakes are centered all around here and the three biggest types of natural disaster we face here are all on the table. Wildfire, earthquake and volcanic eruption.

I think fire will hit first and will be the result of arson and dry lightning. In the middle of that the fault line we are on will slip big time. Then Mammoth Mountain will decide to pop it's cork. If this does come to pass mine and me will not have to worry further. We won't be around to care.

That being said, I did not list these things in order of biggest to smallest worry. Just in order they came to my mind. The one I listed last is not by any means least. It's actually numero uno. I would rather face a string of hurricanes than what I fear may come to pass. I can get to shelter and high ground. There's no getting away from fire earthquakes and a volcanic eruption. And the writing is on the wall for all three here.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The Middle East has very religious countries and believe in God, yeah, not exactly the beacon of a good country.

Japan and Norway are mostly non-religious countries and they’re doing just fine. Some of the most poorest countries on earth are extremely religious like all the ones in Africa and the Middle East.

Furthermore, in some sad twisted irony, the most religious demographic in America is also the same demogrhaic that commits disproportionately the most crime which you already know.

At the end of the day, religion has killed more people than saved.

If large numbers of people would put true Christianity into practice, things would be better off.

Turning away from the One who made all of us is short-sighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies