Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:06 AM

29,457 posts, read 22,419,950 times

Advertisements

Very sad, I probably wouldn't want to live my life in that kind of state either.

At least he was given that option.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...115300381.html

Quote:
A Chicago student has died after requesting he be taken off life support following a shooting last Thursday that left him paralyzed, his family has said....

Lewis' mother, Dr. Rebecca Rivkin, said that her son was paralyzed from the neck down and not expected to be able to eat or walk again, according to Chicago’s WGN 9 News. He would also spend the rest of his life dependent on a ventilator, she told the station.

Lewis was mentally aware and able to blink "yes" and "no" to doctors and family. He was also able to communicate using a letter board.

“If I have to live like this, pull the plug,” he conveyed through the letter board. “Please, seriously.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 08:12 AM

9,446 posts, read 10,736,565 times
Places like Chicago do not have the right to “defund the police”. This young mans right to life itself was infringed upon by local “officials” who failed to keep law and order on their streets. They should be sued for causing this mans death. No one should fear for their safety on American streets like one does in a place like Chicago these days. This is clearly unacceptable. They have a duty to restore order.

I would not step foot in one of these “defund” cities as they clearly are not safe.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:26 AM

24,297 posts, read 17,018,578 times
What a tragic end to a life. You are right OP he was lucky to be in a state that allowed him to make the decision to end his own life.

I agree with danielj72 posting.

When will the elected realize that they have innocent blood on their hands due to their inaction of stopping crime and the senseless shootings? The majority of the time the shootings are between young black men and no one seems to care. They have been telling us that Black Lives Matter but their inaction to stop the carnage tells a different story. They seem more concerned with hurting someones feelings or possibly violating someones Rights but ask the guy laying in the street that has just been shot and is bleeding out how he feels about it. It is too late to ask Lewis how he feels about it.

Our elected are failing us. It has to be terrible to live in one of those cities and be hearing gun shots every night not knowing if a stray bullet is going to come through your window.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:54 PM

19,577 posts, read 9,117,631 times
I would have made the same decision as he did, but I am so sorry for the family of that young man.

But why in the world would that be under yahoo/entertainment. Although that was probably, I hope, an oversight, I think that is horrible. A death of anyone is NOT entertainment!

Old 07-10-2021, 04:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Places like Chicago do not have the right to “defund the police”. This young mans right to life itself was infringed upon by local “officials” who failed to keep law and order on their streets. They should be sued for causing this mans death. No one should fear for their safety on American streets like one does in a place like Chicago these days. This is clearly unacceptable. They have a duty to restore order.

I would not step foot in one of these “defund” cities as they clearly are not safe.
Most people do not want to defund the police. Mayor of Chicago opposes defunding police.

Bullet was fired at a moving train. Police have said they are not even sure the direction the shot was fired from.

Only one responsible for this young man’s death is the shooter, who will likely never be caught.

How exactly does a city prevent someone with a gun from randomly shooting at a moving train? There are more firearms than people in the US. That horse left the barn a long, long time ago.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:20 PM

22,609 posts, read 24,436,315 times
Yeah, I would probably do the same in that situation.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:31 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
We need to build statues in honor of Dr. Kevorkian. He knew this should be a choice that all of us should have.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 2,432,096 times
Many people try to play down gun violence in their city by saying something along the lines of "as long as you're not involved in drugs and gangs/hanging with the wrong crowd, you have nothing to worry about."

What happened to this college student proves that is not always the case...

Old 07-10-2021, 04:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

It has to be terrible to live in one of those cities and be hearing gun shots every night not knowing if a stray bullet is going to come through your window.
Chicago is 234 sq miles. Most of the gun violence occurs in 5 of 25 police districts. In other words, it’s concentrated.

Most of the 2.7 million people don’t hear gun shots any night, let alone every night.

Most people don't live their lives in fear of a stray bullet coming through their window. I am in the city nearly every week and don’t give much thought to safety. Like most folk, I have no reason to be in the 5 most violent areas.

Pre pandemic, Chicago and Orlando tied for second place with the most over night visitors. ( Las Vegas has been #1 for years)

Towards the latter part of this link is a story of a woman (43) a lifelong resident in one of the roughest areas. Her brother was killed. Her step son was killed. Her two adult sons have been shot. She lives with her grandmother and takes care of three grandchildren. She acknowledges her role. She was young and stupid and liked the party life. She was not as present in her children’s lives as she could have been.

While she does not admit her family’s affiliation with street gangs, it seems obvious given the number of male family members shot/ killed. She does admit her sons need to carry and I would not be surprised if she has been a straw purchaser.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/crai...e-and-covid-19

Old 07-10-2021, 05:01 PM

33,822 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Sad, every day occurrence in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies