Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 03:34 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

There has always been a problem finding young people who want to work. I was paying $20 an hour for bagging carpet scraps in the 1980s and they were afraid they would get dirty. One of the local restaurants is offering $14 an hour to load dishes in a dishwasher and can't find anyone.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:46 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
It makes no sense. All of a sudden people realized they don’t like the pay for these jobs which have been paying these wages for 30 years?
Hope they are using their free time learning a trade that would pay them more, electricians, welders, construction, plumbing, landscaping etc…. Those vocations pays well in some areas and were needed long before the pandemic

Old 07-11-2021, 03:58 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
End the welfare programs and I'd wager there will be people applying for the jobs.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:10 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
End the welfare programs and I'd wager there will be people applying for the jobs.
???

To get welfare you need to be:

1. A low income guardian of an child under 16
2. A low income widow/widower
3. Disabled
4. Over 65

In the first case, you have to get a job. They only allow a max of 2 years of being without a job and you have to be in some sort of qualifying training to do so. In the second you have to get a job after ten years. In the third a disabled person can work but they will deduct the amount earned from what you get which depending on what you are doing has effects on your medical insurance and the job needs to be compatible with the disability. In the last, do you really think that shoving elderly people out to work is an good idea?

The short when labor is short wages must go up to attract people to work. Low wages that can not support people don't do society much good.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I am an Commercial Electrician and if I were on unemployment with the extra thrown in I would take home as much or more than I would working.
My husband makes over $100K as a commercial electrician and the same could not be said of him.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
One thing I noticed, there aren’t as many elderly people working these “entry level jobs” anymore. Before the pandemic I would sometimes see or person working behind the counter at a food place. I think a lot of them do it just for some extra income to supplement Social Security. I can’t help but wonder if a lot of decided to just not come back. I’ve made a few trips to the beach this summer and I have not seen a single elderly person working at any jobs that I used to see them working at. There’s also a shortage of workers from Eastern Europe, I usually see them at the beach as well. This year they were very few. Probably because of travel restrictions.
I have friends in that age group who did have part-time retail jobs before the pandemic. They decided that the risk to their health was/is too great to come back to those positions.

In any event, the OP appears to prove what many people have been saying for a very long time.
If people are paid a wage that makes it possible to feed and house themselves, then it’s a job worth having.
Otherwise…

Old 07-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This.

Too many young people think that they should start at wages that others have had to work their way to over the course of months, years or even decades.

If you want to make more money, then put in your time, gain experience and make yourself more valuable to employers like everyone else had to.

Y'all ain't nothing special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen, and add education and training. Filling the slurpee machine is no more valuable in year ten versus day one.
Too many employers rely on a model that requires that people work for peanuts.
If the workers aren’t worth a decent wage, what makes the product worth even a penny?

Old 07-12-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THIS!

Also Conservative, and realize that you can't have cheap labor who will work for very low wages, and then demand $15/hr. as minimum wage.

I do think the minimum wage should go up. The point of the damn thing was that so people DIDN'T live like paupers. It was supposed to be a floor for wages, that would make things easier on the lower income. It's not supposed to make you wealthy, you still have incentive to get out and make yourself a better life, but the COL has gone up much faster than minimum wage.

It absolutely WAS supposed to be something that people could live on, so those who say it was never meant to be that, are wrong. That's exactly what it was for. Again, it would not mean that you had a lot of money left over, but you were supposed to be able to afford a living, not scrambling, working multiple jobs, going to food banks, getting government assistance, etc.

I'd MUCH rather the minimum wage go up, and we cut down on people sitting at home collecting food stamps, Section 8, free medical and dental, free cell phones and plans, reduced electric costs.

All the pi$$ing and whining about how "we'll have to pay more for X, Y, and Z!" You're already paying for it, and then some, yet getting nothing out of it. With people actually working, you may pay a little more for things, but you now have the choice NOT to have to pay for some of those things.

If you make more money, you're not going to be affected all that much - not even the middle class that everyone bemoans as the 'ones who suffer'.

But, you keep allowing illegals to flow into this country, it's not going to work out.

You get one or the other, you do not get both.

Pick one.
This!

Old 07-12-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
as for employer not willing to pay the going rate,some restaurant owners are saying if I pay $15 an hour and I sell a chicken dinner for $12.95 ,how do I break even?
Hmmm…
Are they only selling one dinner per hour?

Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hmmm…
Are they only selling one dinner per hour?
That would depend on how much net profit they can get from selling chicken at 12.95 and how many meals they can sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies