Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 09:39 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

The whole country is becoming woke snowflakes.. very flaky.. you know that the marxists use political correctness for power. That is one of many aspects that marxists use to gain control of a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 09:39 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
So cancel everything that the woke get upset over ???

Way to go America

Old 07-11-2021, 10:14 AM

18,159 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I guess Civil War re-enactments are out too?

I was heavily into reenacting for 10 years. The last reenactment I attended the venue told us that we could not fly our flags even in camp and the Confederate brigade could not march in the town Labor Day parade. We were also told we could not go into town post event in Confederate uniform. It was quite possibly the worst time I ever had doing any thing but certainly my very worst experience ever.

This was during the peak of the flap over the Battle Flag. We wound up pretty angry and the rebels rebelled. And the Yankees were with us. We ran up a big headquarters flag at the officers tent, the infantry marched out through town to the battlefield with flag bearers holding the Battle Flag and a First National and we cavalry flew a swallow tail Battle Flag guidon.

As if Confederate troops went into battle without their colors. We weren't making a damn racial statement. We were portraying history in an accurate way. Not a word was said. After the event we went into town in uniform and gathered at a bar owned by one of our cavalry members and had a good ol' time. The bar owner is a former Marine Corp Sergeant Major. Nobody was going to tell him he couldn't allow grey uniforms in his bar.

Any one who knows anything about military life knows about Sergeant Majors. LOL. Even retired ones. Alas though that was the last event my son and I attended. we dedicated ourselves to competitive handgun. Action Steel MoM bowling pins (pins are evil...they must die) and ICORE. I'm truly dismayed at how history is being treated. Reenactors of all sorts are no longer seen as living historians playing a role. And this targeting of us I see as an insidious rewriting and erasing of true history.

This business with the sailing vessel event is just flat pathetic. I wonder how it is history is supposed to be portrayed now? It seems every aspect of history offends someone these days. Ae we supposed to pretend that the vessels used by Columbus never existed? That thee was no Confederate army in the War between the States? That there was no Westward expansion? And an interesting historical fact comes to my mind now.

groups like BLM are the ones screaming the loudest about historical facts being portrayed by monuments and now of course by living historians. There was a few guys who rode with us in our cavalry unit. They drilled with us but didn't do Civil War portrayal. They were 10th US cavalry. Both the 10th and 11th cav were highly decorated recognized for their valor in battle. In the Indian Wars of the 1870s and up though the Spanish American War. They were Black units.

So, where does such an historical portrayal fit in on the "offensive" meter? Those units heavily engaged the Apache, Kiowa, Comanche, Cheyenne, Lakota and more. They killed a large number of American Indians. They were quite good at what they did. So do Black people today now owe a debt to American Indians? Do they need to acknowledge their role in Manifest Destiny and the conquering of the Tribes and the subsequent herding of them onto reservations? Is a portrayal of those troopers offensive?

At any rate all irony aside history is what it is. If an historical portrayal has people fleeing to a "safe space" how should history be portrayed? As anything but what it really was I guess. Cliche' though it is that saying that says "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." I fea our nation is doomed.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:18 AM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When are we going stop pandering to the thin skinned leftists? A majority of Americans are tired of this.

Then the majority of Americans are going to have to vote Republican for the next few years. Yes, I'm looking at you, suburbanites.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:24 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Any there any historical ships that will not offend someone?

Old 07-11-2021, 10:26 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I toured the Santa Maria replica a few years ago at another tall ships event. It's a fascinating ship. The crew focused on shipbuilding and sailing, and not on the Santa Maria's voyages.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They had a replica of the Santa Maria in Penobscot Harbor
I would love to see a replica of the Santa Maria. I just find it amazing someone crossing the Atlantic several times WAY back in the 1400's!!!! We sure have it great now thanks to our wonderful inventors and explorers. Lots of people died on those journeys, but we don't want to understand real history and facts. Gets in the way of the people living in these odd fake worlds.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:34 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Then the majority of Americans are going to have to vote Republican for the next few years. Yes, I'm looking at you, suburbanites.
News Flash: Wokism became a thing under Trump and the GOP. Perhaps it was the pendulum swinging left against Trump's right swing of the pendulum. Perhaps if it wasn't for Trump and the GOP then wokism wouldn't have come along so strongly. Don't worry, it will fade. The GOP seems to like talking about it though, even though it became prominent under their reign.

The Pendulum Effect: The farther the pendulum swings in one direction, the farther it is likely to swing back.

Last edited by Variable; 07-11-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 10:35 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When are we going stop pandering to the thin skinned leftists? A majority of Americans are tired of this.
I agree. God, I hate them now.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:39 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
News Flash: Wokism became a thing under Trump and the GOP. Perhaps it was the pendulum swinging left against Trump and the GOP's right swing of the pendulum. Perhaps if it wasn't for Trump and the GOP's rhetoric and policies then wokism wouldn't have come along so strongly.

The Pendulum Effect: The farther the pendulum swings in one direction, the farther it is likely to swing back.
BS. It happened BEFORE Trump, which is why he got elected. I remember. If you’ve been on this forum since 2013 you should remember too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies