Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 05:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I admit ignorance on this topic. As much as I tried to do some research, it seems like an elusive topic to me.

The news media brings up the issue as argued by so many people out there, from politicians to parents, school districts, and on and on.

Every side argues for or against with general terms, but I cannot find much on specifics, why is right or wrong.

Each side tends to simply say how good or bad it is. Why is it good? Why is it bad?
What are the specifics?

You've gotten some accurate answers here. But it's also important to understand why CRT is the hot, new thing. In nutshell, it's simple manipulation of the conservative mind by some wackjob named Rufo who's hell bent on changing public policy.

Here's a good primer: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...ral-panic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 05:31 PM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
With critical race theory they are taking the marxist concept of critical theory, which uses class as a means of dividing people so they can be more easily manipulated and dominated, and substituting race for class. The end goal is replacing class based, or in this case racial, oppression(real or imagined) with a more universal form of oppression by an elitist political class.

Last edited by Toxic Waltz; 07-11-2021 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 05:32 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I admit ignorance on this topic. As much as I tried to do some research, it seems like an elusive topic to me.

The news media brings up the issue as argued by so many people out there, from politicians to parents, school districts, and on and on.

Every side argues for or against with general terms, but I cannot find much on specifics, why is right or wrong.

Each side tends to simply say how good or bad it is. Why is it good? Why is it bad?
What are the specifics?
Teaching young and gullible people to hate white people for creating such successful societies, technologies, economic and governmental systems, etc....penalizing/counteracting success.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What exactly is critical race theory?

As soon as I saw that it was teaching that such tendencies as rugged individualism and self-reliance, getting to work on time, working hard, working as a team etc. was a "white" tendency and since black people were a different skin color they did not have those tendencies, I knew it was just another hate-filled racist trope that was strictly for the birds.
Pfffffffft....whoever taught anyone that? That’s not what I was taught about white people, that’s for sure.

You want to BELIEVE that folks are being taught that in order to massage your own ego, but go ask a black person if he or she associates that stuff with white people. You won’t like the answer. Lol

Old 07-11-2021, 05:41 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All White people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
All Blacks are born oppressed.
The Black oppression is the fault of the Whites.
Indeed- every failure seeks to rationalize their lack of achievement not through introspection, but seeking a scapegoat.

Obviously, the plight of black America is due to poor culture, lack of emphasis on education, single parent families, and crime. However, it is easier to blame whitey, rather than take personal action and responsibility, which requires work.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:42 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Whatever Q tells me it is.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What exactly is critical race theory?

As soon as I saw that it was teaching that such tendencies as rugged individualism and self-reliance, getting to work on time, working hard, working as a team etc. was a "white" tendency and since black people were a different skin color they did not have those tendencies, I knew it was just another hate-filled racist trope that was strictly for the birds.
that's about when it started, if not earlier when Trump was declared a racist (without current proof; that is, beyond a HUD settlement in the '70's over racist rental policies) and that anyone that dared vote for/support him must obviously be a racist too.

"CRT" in the current vernacular is a hodgepodge of ideas and proclamations that "white = bad", "Black = oppressed today".

It can be the original CRT.

It can be that stupid Smithsonian AA Museum chart.

It can be "White Fragility"

It can be "White kids are racist by age 4".

It can be "advantaged vs oppressed"

It can be anything that defines us by race, and defines advantage by race, and disadvantage by race.

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 07-11-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 05:48 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pfffffffft....whoever taught anyone that?
See Post #41. It shows a chart that was displayed for weeks at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC last summer.

No, I don't know who put it there. But it stayed up for a significant time... and taught a number of people those exact things.

Any other questions I can help you with?

Old 07-11-2021, 05:56 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Rufo is the protagonist in all this nonsense. He knew exactly what he was doing.
A few weeks after putting up a chart supposedly saying that hard work, keeping promises to get a job done, etc. were characteristics of white people and not black people, they apologized and took it down

Note the date of the article. They were already apologizing and removing it A YEAR AGO. When did this Rufo person start complaining about it?

------------------------------------

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...244309587.html

Smithsonian museum apologizes for saying hard work, rational thought is ‘white culture’

by Chacour Koop
July 17, 2020 05:51 PM

A Smithsonian museum apologized for a chart listing hard work and rational thought as traits of white culture.

The National Museum of African American History and Culture said in a statement Friday that it was wrong to include the graphic in an online portal about race and racism in America.

“It is important for us as a country to talk about race. We thank those who shared concerns about our ‘Talking About Race” online portal. We need these types of frank and respectful interchanges as we as a country grapple with how we talk about race and its impact on our lives,” the statement said. “We erred in including the chart. We have removed it, and we apologize.”

Old 07-11-2021, 05:58 PM

828 posts, read 415,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why did the people who believed that, "all men are created equal," also belived that Indians needed to be exterminated and blacks needed to be enslaved? You can't honestly answer that question without using critical race theory.

Why not. Blacks had slavery 100 years before and 100 year after whites outlawed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies