Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 11:00 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Look here to see the conditions in SA right now:

https://twitter.com/pine_tree_riots/...85838831292420

Police are corrupt and participate in the looting. The army has been deployed in some towns and they are asking armed civilians to come out and help.
Wow, just crazy.

Also, a perfect example on why we need a legally armed populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 11:02 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why did you even ask that?

*suddenly remembers, "don't argue with people who are committed to misunderstanding you".

Bye.
Fact is many blacks are insulted with this CRT. saying they have the cards stacked against them is no motivation to succeed.

How can blacks get ahead by telling them they are oppressed by those privileged whites . Many blacks have worked very hard to get where they are today and don't need someone telling them because they are black they can't make it like a white person can.

It is racist in its root. That is the oppressive message that must be killed!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When those babies grow up and make bad decisions it is their fault. 100 percent.

Someone raised by 2 parents does earn their way in life and its a bit insulting to infer that they don't earn it. Once you get there, it takes skill to stay there.

At some point you have to hold people accountable for their own actions.
It's a little slippery.

When those babies grow up, and live what they learned to be "normal" based on their family, some of it's their fault for not getting out of the hole they were born in by looking around and observing that others have an easier life by practicing a different lifestyle than what they themselves were taught.

Others, like myself and I'm guessing you, just continued the way our life we were born into and learned by example. As was expected by our parents and grandparents.

Someone (maybe you) asked upthread if getting promoted from first to second grade is also a privilege. No. It's an earned right. The first grader who learned the skills and information that was expected for promotion to the next level, earned it. So. A right for him to be promoted, not a privilege.

But do you see how he might have earned that right much more easily than others, by getting a head start, a leg up, that he did NOT earn? Consider the 1st grader who was born into a caring two parent family. He is made to study his spelling words, go over his homework, he has the supplies and materials he needs for his project, and his mother is friends with the teacher and has a finger on the pulse of the school. He goes to bed with a full belly at 8:30 p.m. after his bath.

Another first grader may have none of those advantages. For him, to earn the right to advance to the next grade is MUCH harder than the above boy.

It's a matter of being able to see, for myself, that I had a leg up in life. And then I continued on that positive trajectory in the same vein.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:06 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SffJkUt_U

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

Common themes in
CRITICAL RACE THEORY

, as documented by such scholars as Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic, include:

Critique of liberalism: Critical race theory scholars question foundational liberal concepts such as Enlightenment rationalism, legal equality, and Constitutional neutrality, and challenge the incrementalist, step-by-step approach of traditional civil-rights discourse; they favor a race-conscious approach to social transformation, critiquing liberal ideas such as affirmative action, color blindness, role modeling, or the merit principle; and an approach that relies more on political organizing, in contrast to liberalism's reliance on rights-based remedies.

Storytelling, counter-storytelling, and "naming one's own reality": The use of narrative (storytelling) to illuminate and explore experiences of racial oppression. Bryan Brayboy has emphasized the epistemic importance of storytelling in Indigenous-American communities as superseding that of theory, and has proposed a Tribal Critical Race Theory (TribCrit).

Revisionist interpretations of American civil rights law and progress: Criticism of civil-rights scholarship and anti-discrimination law, such as Brown v. Board of Education. Derrick Bell, one of CRT's founders, argues that civil-rights advances for black people coincided with the self-interest of white elitists. Likewise, Mary L. Dudziak performed extensive archival research in the U.S. Department of State and Department of Justice, including the correspondence by U.S. ambassadors abroad, and concluded that U.S. civil-rights legislation was not passed because people of color were discriminated against; rather, it was enacted in order to improve the image of the United States in the eyes of third-world countries that the US needed as allies during the Cold War.

Intersectional theory: The examination of race, sex, class, national origin, and sexual orientation, and how their combination (i.e., their intersections) plays out in various settings, e.g., how the needs of a Latina female are different from those of a black male and whose needs are the ones promoted.

Standpoint epistemology: The view that a member of a minority has an authority and ability to speak about racism that members of other racial groups do not have, and that this can expose the racial neutrality of law as false.

Essentialism vs. anti-essentialism: Delgado and Stefancic write, "Scholars who write about these issues are concerned with the appropriate unit for analysis: Is the black community one, or many, communities? Do middle- and working-class African-Americans have different interests and needs? Do all oppressed peoples have something in common?" This is a look at the ways that oppressed groups may share in their oppression but also have different needs and values that need to be looked at differently. It is a question of how groups can be essentialized or are unable to be essentialized.

Structural determinism: Exploration of how "the structure of legal thought or culture influences its content", whereby a particular mode of thought or widely shared practice determines significant social outcomes, usually occurring without conscious knowledge. As such, theorists posit that our system cannot redress certain kinds of wrongs.

Empathetic fallacy: Believing that one can change a narrative by offering an alternative narrative in hopes that the listener's empathy will quickly and reliably take over. Empathy is not enough to change racism as most people are not exposed to many people different from themselves and people mostly seek out information about their own culture and group.

Non-white cultural nationalism/separatism: The exploration of more radical views that argue for separation and reparations as a form of foreign aid (including black nationalism)

Old 07-12-2021, 11:10 AM

17,359 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
You're making my case. Do you see it?

Those who were born with the privilege (again, advantage that they didn't earn) of a committed present father become more educated, make more money, and are less likely to end up in prison.

Those who, by an accident of birth on their part, ended up landing in a family that would give them that advantage, are privileged to have it.

And it's about gratitude, understanding you were given a gift that others who are equally deserving did not receive.

You have repeatedly conflated race and class.

Just like Biden: "poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids".

Old 07-12-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow, just crazy.

Also, a perfect example on why we need a legally armed populace.
Imagine that coming here...the way things are going , we could be on the brink..

Old 07-12-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It's a little slippery.

When those babies grow up, and live what they learned to be "normal" based on their family, some of it's their fault for not getting out of the hole they were born in by looking around and observing that others have an easier life by practicing a different lifestyle than what they themselves were taught.

Others, like myself and I'm guessing you, just continued the way our life we were born into and learned by example. As was expected by our parents and grandparents.

Someone (maybe you) asked upthread if getting promoted from first to second grade is also a privilege. No. It's an earned right. The first grader who learned the skills and information that was expected for promotion to the next level, earned it. So. A right for him to be promoted, not a privilege.

But do you see how he might have earned that right much more easily than others, by getting a head start, a leg up, that he did NOT earn? Consider the 1st grader who was born into a caring two parent family. He is made to study his spelling words, go over his homework, he has the supplies and materials he needs for his project, and his mother is friends with the teacher and has a finger on the pulse of the school. He goes to bed with a full belly at 8:30 p.m. after his bath.

Another first grader may have none of those advantages. For him, to earn the right to advance to the next grade is MUCH harder than the above boy.

It's a matter of being able to see, for myself, that I had a leg up in life. And then I continued on that positive trajectory in the same vein.
Look at Hunter Biden.. very privileged and so messed up .. some people who get many breaks in life abuse it.. some work very hard... like Ben Carson who came from a one parent home and was poor.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:21 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Band-Aid Has Launched Its Ourtone Line to Better Blend With Brown Skin Tones

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/band...144200689.html

Old 07-12-2021, 11:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
It's a little slippery.

Agreed. But how far do we take it? I was not born severely handicapped. Is that luck or privilege?
I think some use it as a crutch or as an excuse as to why they don't make it in life. It no doubt is harder but isn't the reason why that individual failed. Not talking about the obvious extreme examples.

btw Knowing the teacher, interacting with the teacher is the main reason kids are successful in school.

Herman Cain said his mother taught him "success was not a function of what you start out with materially, but what you start out with spiritually."

Old 07-12-2021, 11:24 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
The kids I'm with aren't making one bit of trouble.

And they're dressed nicely. What I look like, out in public, is a white grandmother with black grandchildren, and I'm treated differently than when I look like a white grandmother with white grandchildren.

If you haven't seen it, you don't see it.
I call BS on that. I have family members who are in mixed-race marriages and when I'm out with my darker-skinned grandnieces/nephews, no one treats us any differently than when I'm with my white ones. You may be imagining something that just isn't there out of white guilt or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies