Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 08:50 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We don’t vaccinate kids to protect adults. That’s insane.
Just slightly more insane than depriving kids of a quality education to protect the very elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Are kids still zero risk, with the Delta variant? Not being snarky, genuinely asking.

Here in Sydney we have an alarming number of people under 55 being hospitalised. One in intensive care is 16 (one may not seem like a lot but we're talking very few cases in comparison to other parts of the world).
I don't know how many times it needs to be said: The reason for wearing a mask is to stop the spread of the virus, not to protect the mask wearer.

Similar with the vaccine. Even if a child has virtually no risk of dying from Covid-19, vaccination is important to stop the spread. As long as there is a reservoir of virus circulating in non-immune individuals, the virus can continue to mutate and develop new variants, some of which may defeat the vaccine.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:00 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
It's insane not to.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:21 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't know how many times it needs to be said: The reason for wearing a mask is to stop the spread of the virus, not to protect the mask wearer.

Similar with the vaccine. Even if a child has virtually no risk of dying from Covid-19, vaccination is important to stop the spread. As long as there is a reservoir of virus circulating in non-immune individuals, the virus can continue to mutate and develop new variants, some of which may defeat the vaccine.
We don’t have much evidence that the vaccine stops infection, asymptomatic cases or transmission. We do have evidence that it can reduce chances of serious infection. In other words, it protects the person who gets it but may not do anything at all to protect others, I think it’s premature to claim that everyone needs to get vaccinated to stop new variants considering even vaccinated people can catch and spread covid.

It’s also noteworthy that only 3% of the worlds population is fully vaccinated so instead of vaccinating kids, who are at increased risks of side effects from the vaccine, maybe we should send those vaccines to countries where the most vulnerable adult still need them.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times
Oh wow I had no idea there were so many medical experts on here!!!

Old 07-15-2021, 01:43 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
Oh wow I had no idea there were so many medical experts on here!!!
There are literally no experts anywhere on Earth pertaining to this virus or any of the so-called "vaccines". Anyone who tells you otherwise either does not know what they are talking about, or they are lying straight through their proverbial teeth.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Kids don't even get sick.. why vaccinate? This is getting into the extreme. We got Biden the radical in office now and he is getting really weird.
Kids get sick at a lower rate, but they do get sick. Some die. Some get MIS-C. Some of those die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I definitely think that harsh lockdowns have contributed to populations with weakened immune systems. Immune systems need some exercise, though I understand why people locked down with the type of reporting we had on this disease.
No, reducing exposure to pathogenic viruses does not weaken the immune system. It gets plenty of exercise just from the organisms that normally live in and on the body and antigens in food, water, and air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If only I could truly believe that. I know the claim is that a combination of coronavirus restrictions and immunity to flu has contributed to almost no flu cases this year, but since kids have been in schools in many states all year I have a hard time believing that number. How many flu cases are being passed off as Covid-19? I hate that I’m doubtful of the CDC data but I’ve lost faith in that organization. They have admitted to lying several times, all supposedly for the good of the public.
Flu is not being "passed off" as COVID-19. There are specific tests for each, and testing for flu was done during flu season.

Quote:
There were mask studies pre covid showing that they did not stop the spread of the flu.

This is the most likely reason why colds, flu, RSV, etc, disappeared during covid.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/childh...odox-brooklyn/
From your article:

"While most schools in the United States are either being taught online or meeting in person with precautions like masks and social distancing, many Orthodox schools, particularly in Hasidic neighborhoods, have been far more lax about COVID precautions. That laxity may be creating an environment in which other viruses, not just the coronavirus, can spread more easily."

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Well, the science says most masks are designed for adults and simply don't work for kids very well (not that they work for adults all that well either but...) Beside the obvious fit issues, kids lungs cannot create the pressure necessary to push air back and forth across the mask barrier.
Do kids play musical wind instruments?

Quote:
If the vaccines are as safe as orange juice, then why is that?

If you say it's because it hasn't been tested on them, well it wasn't tested on pregnant "birthing people" either but is universally accepted as ok.
There are data on the vaccine in pregnancy, obtained from pregnancies during the trials (even though pregnant women were not intentionally enrolled) and from pregnancies reported through the v-safe system.

Therr are studies in progress on vaccinating younger children. Recommendation to vaccinate or not will come when the results are available.

Quote:
Well, don't blame me, that's what your scientists are saying. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2781743
That article is likely to be retracted. It did not measure blood levels of oxygen or carbon dioxide in blood, which is the definitive way to know what is happening to gas exchange. That is why in the OR blood levels are monitored, not levels inside a mask. The lead author has already had an article retracted about deaths from the vaccine. He is a psychologist, not a physiologist.

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/07/...nder-scrutiny/

It's Twitter, but the author is a statistician. Pardon the snark. It is Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jamesheathers/st...05088756240385

Quote:
Vaccinating kids against flu protects their elders.

Quote:
We don’t have much evidence that the vaccine stops infection, asymptomatic cases or transmission. We do have evidence that it can reduce chances of serious infection. In other words, it protects the person who gets it but may not do anything at all to protect others, I think it’s premature to claim that everyone needs to get vaccinated to stop new variants considering even vaccinated people can catch and spread covid.

It’s also noteworthy that only 3% of the worlds population is fully vaccinated so instead of vaccinating kids, who are at increased risks of side effects from the vaccine, maybe we should send those vaccines to countries where the most vulnerable adult still need them.
There is clear evidence that the vaccines in use in the US prevent infection, not just symptoms, and vaccinated people who get breakthrough infections have a lower viral load, so they are less likely to spread the virus. The implication that vaccinated people get infected and spread the virus at the same rate as unvaccinated people is false.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:07 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

That will happen, forever, no matter how many people we vaccinate. That's why officials lie, or at least prevaricate, when asked to give a target, and stick to that target, of what percentage of the population needs to be vaccinated.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 PM

8,143 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Did you even read my link?
I did, it's not a very interesting or a relevant one.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I did, it's not a very interesting or a relevant one.
Really? You don’t find the most probable reason why respiratory viruses completely disappeared during covid to be interesting or relevant?

OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies