Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 06:28 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Who am I in over my head with ? You ? Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 06:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I was pregnant in jail (late 1990s) & they almost killed me. My baby was born stillborn.

I was not convicted of anything & I did not know I was going to be arrested. I was subpoenaed as an alibi witness for the defense in Colorado's first RICO act trial. There was a 2 year long, federal undercover investigation going on at the same time & local cops had been recruited into a task force to aid the Feds.

http://more.ppld.org:8080/SpecialCol...ders/97755.pdf

I am not listed as an arrestee, I was arrested prior to the indictments & was the gf of someone on the list.

Officer Strickland was one of those recruits & he decided my relationship with the defendants meant I knew something & he made me his mission. (the fact that he had the same last name as the USAG might be a coincidence or might not. never found out) He picked me up while I was doing my laundry because my "plates came up stolen", put me in his car, held up a baggy with white residue in it & said: "I'm gonna write you up for 5 charges & while we both know they are bogus; we also both know what you can do about it."

No way in hell was I going to turn state's evidence so after driving me around, taking me to a basement cell at a substation, removing a few items of MY clothing (while I was handcuffed), kept telling me how much of a shame it was a pretty girl like me was getting in trouble & how I should date him instead, he threw his clipboard at me & booked me with 5 charges, 3 of them felonies & with no bond. He figured that would break me.

Here, pregnant inmates are handcuffed in the front, instead of in the back. You get one extra milk per meal & prenatal vitamins during morning med call. You are only assigned to lower bunks. You see a jail doctor once a month. That's about it.

At about 24 weeks I started experiencing back & abdominal pain. After several days I was taken to the infirmary but the doctor never came to see me. Her name was Fellhauer; I will never forget that b****. They did not order an ultrasound or a consult. Four days later I sat up in bed & felt a pop & my hips & legs went hot. It was blood & I was hemorrhaging. I was transported via emerg life support to the hospital & had to have emergency surgery. The little boy I was carrying died. I named him Michael.

I only stayed in for about 24 hours, handcuffed & shackled to the bed under 24/hr guard. On a unit where I used to work & knew everybody. Since the jail was having to pay, they demanded I be discharged & my bloodwork results arrived after I had left. I needed a transfusion but I was back in jail. I developed microcytic anemia, which I still struggle with today.

Three long months later my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct by Internal Affairs but I didn't know. I accepted a guilty plea because I was dying in custody & didn't realize the officer had been found guilty. Accepting the guilty plea meant I could be released on probation. I never ratted anybody out & tbh; I wouldn't have any useful information for them anyway. I was just an alibi witness for my bf, on a shooting case that supported the federal indictment. The federal judge overhearing the case ended up dismissing a lot of the charges. Called it the "sloppiest" investigation he had ever seen.

Last edited by coschristi; 07-13-2021 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 06:35 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS -

Either a fetus has a right to life INDEPENDENT of the mother's wishes,
-or-
It has no right to life, if the mother so wishes.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:36 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
They should of course get appropriate medical care. But they certainly shouldn't get increased visitation rights.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I was pregnant in jail (late 1990s) & they almost killed me. My baby was born stillborn.

I was not convicted of anything & I did not know I was going to be arrested. I was subpoenaed as an alibi witness for the defense in Colorado's first RICO act trial. There was a 2 year long, federal undercover investigation going on at the same time & local cops had been recruited into a task force to aid the Feds.

I am not listed as an arrestee, I was arrested prior to the indictments & was the gf of someone on the list.

Officer Strickland was one of those recruits & he decided my relationship with the defendants meant I knew something & he made me his mission. He picked me up while I was doing my laundry because my "plates came up stolen", put me in his car, held up a baggy with white residue in it & said: "I'm gonna write you up for 5 charges & while we both know they are bogus; we also both know what you can do about it."

No way in hell was I going to turn state's evidence so after driving me around, taking me to a basement cell at a substation, removing a few items of MY clothing (while I was handcuffed), kept telling me how much of a shame it was a pretty girl like me was getting in trouble & how I should date him instead, he threw his clipboard at me & booked me with 5 charges, 3 of them felonies & with no bond. He figured that would break me.

Here, pregnant inmates are handcuffed in the front, instead of in the back. You get one extra milk per meal & prenatal vitamins during morning med call. You are only assigned to lower bunks. You see a jail doctor once a month. That's about it.

At about 24 weeks I started experiencing back & abdominal pain. After several days I was taken to the infirmary but the doctor never came to see me. Her name was Fellhauer; I will never forget that b****. They did not order an ultrasound or a consult. Four days later I sat up in bed & felt a pop & my hips & legs went hot. It was blood & I was hemorrhaging. I was transported via emerg life support to the hospital & had to have emergency surgery. The little boy I was carrying died. I named him Michael.

I only stayed in for about 24 hours, handcuffed & shackled to the bed under 24/hr guard. On a unit where I used to work & knew everybody. Since the jail was having to pay, they demanded I be discharged & my bloodwork results arrived after I had left. I needed a transfusion but I was back in jail. I developed microcytic anemia, which I still struggle with today.

Three long months later my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct by Internal Affairs but I didn't know. I accepted a guilty plea because I was dying in custody & didn't realize the officer had been found guilty. Accepting the guilty plea meant I could be released on probation. I never ratted anybody out & tbh; I wouldn't have any useful information for them anyway. I was just an alibi witness for my bf, on a shooting case that supported the federal indictment. The federal judge overhearing the case ended up dismissing a lot of the charges. Called it the "sloppiest" investigation he had ever seen.
I'm sorry you went through this. Horrific. And you're not the only one who has endured such things.

Pleading guilty even when you're not is another thing often seen due to the way our system works.

And then there's the issue of real criminals who are put back out on the street over and over again to commit more crimes. The whole system needs revamping.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sorry you went through this. Horrific. And you're not the only one who has endured such things.

Pleading guilty even when you're not is another thing often seen due to the way our system works.

And then there's the issue of real criminals who are put back out on the street over and over again to commit more crimes. The whole system needs revamping.
Thank you. It’s one of the worst things that has happened to me. The jail doctor did not provide me with the minimum standards of care for a woman in her 2nd trimester experiencing severe pain, which would have been an ultrasound. Which would have indicated that there was an issue with the placenta. Which would have been solved with a pre term cesarean delivery of a viable baby & prevented the hemorrhage.

Even if I would have been actually guilty, even for a worse crime; the minimum standard of care should be provided for people in custody. I hadn’t even been tried, let alone convicted. I wanted to sue. I wanted my guilty plea overturned because my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct during my arrest. But by the time I was released, I could barely walk let alone fight.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:16 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I realize you're only saying what you would do...but there are a lot of women out there who don't believe in abortion, and there ARE other alternatives, like adoption, or foster care with a family member, like grandma, or an aunt, etc.
Forcing taxpayers to raise your unwanted kids is never the answer.

The answer is to use a condom.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:22 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS -

Either a fetus has a right to life INDEPENDENT of the mother's wishes,
-or-
It has no right to life, if the mother so wishes.
It has no right to life, it’s a fetus.

Human life is not sacred. If it was there would be world peace.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:55 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Quite honestly if i were going to jail for a long time and I was pregnant I'd probably consider having an abortion. Even if it was for two years that seems like a long time for baby and mom to be separated. I mean what kind of life would that poor child have once they were born? A mother in jail raised by who knows? It does seems like many women in jail do go on to have their babies. Must be pretty confusing for the kid.

Or better yet, put the baby up for adoption.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:01 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Officer Strickland was one of those recruits & he decided my relationship with the defendants meant I knew something & he made me his mission. (the fact that he had the same last name as the USAG might be a coincidence or might not. never found out) He picked me up while I was doing my laundry because my "plates came up stolen", put me in his car, held up a baggy with white residue in it & said: "I'm gonna write you up for 5 charges & while we both know they are bogus; we also both know what you can do about it."

I am so very sorry for not only being falsely arrested, but for the loss of your precious boy and the mistreatment you undeservingly received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies